• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Rules & Maps Allowed(Melee)

iTz Coburn

Smash Cadet
Okay, what are the maps that are generally allowed to be played at tournaments? I don't attend tournaments,(I'd love too though) but I'd like to play by the rules.

4 Stock
8 Minutes

As far as I know the allowed maps are:
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Story
Dream Land Fountain of Dreams
DK Island Jungle Japes
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Island(lol?)
Kanto Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom II
Special Stages Battlefield
Special Stages Final Destination
Past Stages Dream Land
Past Stages Yoshi's Island
Past Stages Kongo Jungle

Did I miss any/have some that aren't allowed?

Also, in Additional Rules -> Random Stages, what maps should be highlight ON?

Does Self-Destructs stay at -1?

Why when you do doubles is team attack on?

And one last question, is there anyway to make the game save the setting 4 Stock 8 Minutes so I don't have to input it everytime?

Thanks!

Varist

Smash Lord
Okay, what are the maps that are generally allowed to be played at tournaments? I don't attend tournaments,(I'd love too though) but I'd like to play by the rules.

4 Stock
8 Minutes

As far as I know the allowed maps are:
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Story
Dream Land Fountain of Dreams
DK Island Jungle Japes
Yoshi's Island Yoshi's Island(lol?)
Kanto Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom II
Special Stages Battlefield
Special Stages Final Destination
Past Stages Dream Land
Past Stages Yoshi's Island
Past Stages Kongo Jungle

Did I miss any/have some that aren't allowed?

Also, in Additional Rules -> Random Stages, what maps should be highlight ON?

Does Self-Destructs stay at -1?

Why when you do doubles is team attack on?

And one last question, is there anyway to make the game save the setting 4 Stock 8 Minutes so I don't have to input it everytime?

Thanks!
Stages:

Jungle Japes used to be available for counter picks but recently the more conservative stage list has not been using it.

Yoshi's Island is not used. Mushroom Kingdom II was a counterpick in teams, but recently the more conservative stage list has not been using it.

Past Stages: Yoshi's Island is banned, and has been for years. The standalone cloud on the far right side allows characters to camp too effectively.

Past Stages: Kongo Jungle is still sometimes seen as a counterpick stage, but it favors characters with good vertical movement very heavily when matched against a character with poor vertical movement. In some peoples' opinion, it is one of the more unfair counterpicks.

Misc:

The five neutral stages (YS, FoD, FD, BF, DL) are set to ON at the beginning of a match, prior to stage striking. Visit the smash wikia for more information on "stage striking". It is an integral part of tournament matches.

Self-destruct -1, -2, etc. is irrelevant to a stock match. Keep it at -1.

Team attack OFF degenerates quality of play and entertainment value in doubles. Moreover, it enables the use of a number of broken strategies. Search around for further examples.

I don't have an answer to the last question.

I should mention that all this information is available in a more concise and informative manner in other places, particularly the stickies.

Top Bottom