• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Palutena Moveset

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Hello everybody,

I am a hopeful TO and i was starting to design the rules for my tournament based on the current high-level rules. However i started to think about Palutena and the Mii Fighters and how they are the 3 characters in the game with all customs unlocked at the beginning. Ive seen threads arguing about Palutena w/ customs or not and how it is unfair to only allow her customs but not other characters and I do believe that this is a good point.

So in response to that, I want the Palutena community to come together and create the first (that I know of) Palutena tournament moveset that is customs on (so not just 1111). Because of the argument that all other characters can only have 1 moveset, I believe that Palutena should also have only 1 moveset. So if you guys can come together and agree on a single moveset for her, like 2313 or 3311 or w/e, we might beable to start a change in the current meta and tournament community.

With this solution, Palutena is made more viable for tournaments, and still only has 1 moveset just like every-other character in the game. So lets do this!

Thank you.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
We tried this months ago, to no avail. We discussed the best combinations of her custom moves and determined which would be the most viable in tournaments in the hopes that we could have just 1 custom set legalized for Palutena. Sadly, we are not the TO's of the world, and it is up to them to allow Palutena to come out of the depths of 1111.

Last edited:

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
Well my theory is that if it starts to happen in smaller tournaments, hopefully it will start to spread out and move up the ranks.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Well my theory is that if it starts to happen in smaller tournaments, hopefully it will start to spread out and move up the ranks.
I'm glad that you're interested in allowing customs for Palutena/ miis, but it tends to cause people to complain for the stupidest of reasons. "4" characters cause allot of conflict even though it's clear why these characters have custom access. If the other Palutena mains pitch in I'll gladly assist though.

Galgatha

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SinChill
I'm glad that you're interested in allowing customs for Palutena/ miis, but it tends to cause people to complain for the stupidest of reasons. "4" characters cause allot of conflict even though it's clear why these characters have custom access. If the other Palutena mains pitch in I'll gladly assist though.
Well thank you for the support, and my counter argument is: Since unlike every-other actual fighter in the game, Palutena was designed around her custom moves otherwise you wouldnt have them all unlocked at the begining and they wouldnt all be drastically different moves. Also its not customs allowed, its the single moveset that the palutena community agreed upon for tournament use, so just like every other fighter, she has only 1 moveset available for tournament use."

mrpocari21

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrpocari21
3DS FC
0619-3677-7277
Thank you for giving custom palutena a chance! Hopefully your theory is right and customs will become a thing at some point. As for my favorite palutena custom set, I'd say as of right now I'm really fond of 1312 but I can also agree with 1322. I'll explain my reasoning for each special below.

Personally, I think autoreticle is better than explosive flame. The main reason for this is that autoreticle can jab lock and gives us a mix up off of downthrow on stages with platforms. At low-mid percents depending on the opponents di you can do downthrow to autoreticle for a jab lock if they don't tech. And if tech away, sometimes you can catch them with the autoreticle and force them to fall off the ledge and then jab lock them with autoreticle. Another cool thing with autoreticle is that you can footstool certain characters and autoreticle them for the jab lock. So at high percents you can actually jab -> jab -> footstool as a mixup.

As for Explosive flame, I can see how it can be useful since it comes out regardless of whether you're hit or not and it has a really big hitbox. The main issue I see with explosive flame is the amount of startup and lag it has as well as there's little reward to actually hitting it. I can't really see explosive flame being used in neutral since all the opponent has to do is dash forward and then they'll be next to you while you're stuck in the end lag. Most of the time I find myself using explosive flame offstage where there's little risk involved with getting punished, but with the launch angle of explosive flame it can actually help the opponent recover, whereas autoreticle (if it hits) causes them to flinch and lose their momentum.

In most cases I think super speed is palutena's best side special. The only cases where reflect would be better is against projectile heavy characters. Super speed just gives palutena so many more options in general. She can use it as an approach and combo tool, a kill confirm, and can even use it to mix up her recovery. I mainly use it as a mix up for her recovery since I have a really hard time hit confirming it. But it really helps for recovery, since using warp can be pretty predictable at times for ledge trump situations. Super speed allows you to recover high and pretty much end up on the other side of the stage without having to worry about the ledge trump scenarios.

Up special is one where I can agree with either warp or jump glide. I lean more towards warp because of its overall utility. It can be used in so many different ways and I love it :) There's also so many things you can do with ledge cancelling. I mainly use warp as either an escape option or for ledge pressure. When the opponent is offstage you can ledge cancel and hit the opponent away for edgeguarding. You can wait for them to grab ledge and time your warp so that you trump them and either bair them or read their jump, roll, or ledge attack.

As for Jump glide, it gives her another way to mix up her recovery with the momentum it has. And having more mixups is always good. It also gives her a way to approach. She can jump glide fair/bair as an approach depending on if you b-reverse it. If you do b-reverse it, then you can play mind games with the momemtum bounce back you get. And you can even approach with a grab with it by fairing before you get to the opponent. I feel like jump glide works really well with super speed too since with super speed you often end up near the side blast zones after an up air or nair, and with jump glide's momentum you can survive fairly easily, whereas warp you need to be more careful. But overall I still slightly prefer warp.

Lightweight for sure imo. Allows her to become crazy fast on both ground and air. Also makes her down throw up air guaranteed, which I do have to say is pretty stupid. With super speed as well, the side effects after lightweight wears off is mitigated.

While I do like Celestial Fireworks because it can be used to juggle and potentially kill, it's still not as good as lightweight imo. It does have its uses too with the invincibility frames though.

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
Like almost everyone else here, I'd personally prefer either Autoreticle or Explosive Flame for Neutral Special (Heavenly Light is terrible in its own special way), Super Speed for Side Special (Can SS into Bair or USmash at higher percents), Jump Glide or maybe Warp for up special (Jump Glide is amazing for mixups and horizontal recovery and Warp is very flexible and Palutena's invisible for the majority of the warp), and Lightweight for the down special (Can DThrow into Fair, Nair, or Uair for the kill confirm). But in the end, it's all up to the tournament creaters, and they can do whatever they want. As long as they replace that counter :cheep:.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
It's cool that you're trying this out, but this has been done a lot of times in the past. If you ask me, we just need Palu mains to focus on developing her 1111 meta instead of being stuck in the past and daydream about her customs.

In other words, let's just move on from this.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
It's cool that you're trying this out, but this has been done a lot of times in the past. If you ask me, we just need Palu mains to focus on developing her 1111 meta instead of being stuck in the past and daydream about her customs.

We already have several treads for the default set

mrpocari21

Smash Rookie
NNID
mrpocari21
3DS FC
0619-3677-7277

I completely agree with you here, but if Galgatha wants to try using custom palutena in their tourneys I don't see any reason to not help them out. If I had the choice to use default or custom palutena, I'd probably choose default just because I feel she isn't as bad as people make her out to be and I'd like to prove that

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
I completely agree with you here, but if Galgatha wants to try using custom palutena in their tourneys I don't see any reason to not help them out. If I had the choice to use default or custom palutena, I'd probably choose default just because I feel she isn't as bad as people make her out to be and I'd like to prove that
I sorta agree with you. Since I like playing online a lot, I definitely have a ton more experience with default Palutena. Autoreticle is pretty good for poking and jab locking is nice too. Reflecter is actually really good against a lot of projectiles. Warp, I've explained before. Her Counter isn't TOO bad, it does okay damage and the counterattack comes out pretty fast and has a big hotbox. The biggest qualm I have about her counter is the fact that the time when the counter is activated is actually a couple frames after you input the control for the counter. Other than that though, her counter isn't that bad. Default Palutena and Palutena in general has a lot of great things going for her, and it makes me sad that many people don't realize that.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
2233, 1233, 2133, and 1133 are the most popular sets among Palutena players. They've far superior to the default set in terms of mobility, offense, and defensive play. At this point it's whether or not you prefer AR or Explosive flame and warp or jump glide. It's pretty much a given that lightweight is a must and super speed is way too beneficial to pass up, but at the same time people also like reflect and celestial fire works.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Kind of disappointing that someone is walking up to our door so to speak and giving us the opportunity to finally maybe spark a fire for Custom Palutena in tournaments, and as a community we reject their help and argue that it's hopeless...

Moving past that, here is typically what I see here on the Palu board, Galgatha Galgatha

Down B: Lightweight
No questions asked. This is a made-up statistic, but 90% of the board agrees.

Side B: Super Speed
Again, fairly universal. Of course, Reflect is better for matchups against projectile users, but most of the time SS is best.

Now, what about the other two? There's a little more disagreement on those moves, but generally people agree that for Neutral B, it's Auto Reticle / Explosive Flame, and for Up B, either Warp / Jump Glide. I see good players like Aerolink and TLTC tend to pick Jump Glide for its approach and mixup uses. Honestly for Auto Reticle and Explosive Flame just throw something at a dart board. They're both fine.

so

either are likely to be acceptable by most players imo. I wish you luck, I'd like to see this be successful!

Last edited:

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Rocket Jump ain't even that bad as long as you have Super Speed so that you have some form of recovery. OoS kill options are nice.

I like AR a lot more than Explosive Flame. I personally use Warp on the rare occasion I get to play with customs, but that's mostly because I haven't labbed Jump Glide at all

kamus_aran

Smash Apprentice
3131 (heavenly light, reflect barrier, rocket jump, counter) would be my choice, it's viable in tournament <(")

Razberri

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lauqette
3DS FC
1950-7806-5040

Wow, it's so fantastic of you to think FOR someone else

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?

kiddo805

Smash Rookie
Dear Palutena mainer, dear Palutena players!

Sorry to post this but I need all of you.I think you all know of the counter problem with Lady Palutena. Thats why I prepared a video for you! I would develope more videos like that. Because of the counter bug its impossible to counter against the opponent. That can't be true!!!! In my opinion we should team upI My suggestion is that we write to Nintendo e-mails. What do you think?

Here is my video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kvWQmtvw9I

You can spread it in Youtube, Facebook, Miiverse (Palutena >SUPPORT< Community). I'm online to tell you that. I need all of you to reach this aim. Bayonetta was nerfed (edited) too!

Do you agree? Another suggestions?
Very nicely put video! Your video covers all of the main points while keeping it short and simple. I will definitely spread this video to let Nintendo know!

_Darkpit_

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5026-4651-4206
Very nicely put video! Your video covers all of the main points while keeping it short and simple. I will definitely spread this video to let Nintendo know!
I really thank you I spread this too until we are enough players! I'm often for every suggestions. I think I can't do this alone but with you Palutena players together. (Sorry for my bad English, I'm German)

I opened a thread for collecting Palutena players and discussing about this problem. Lets assemble there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom