• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament nerves

FoxE

Smash Cadet
So I have this really bad problem, I'm not sure if this is the best place to go but I'll go ahead and ask anyways. I want to go attend events near my area to play smash and not have to rely on netplay but, I get really bad anxiety from thinking about heading to those places. I usually end up canceling last second and avoid it all together. How can I make myself feel more comfortable going? I'm just extremely afraid of going to the wrong place? Meeting the wrong people? Messing up in general? I've never gone to a smash event before.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
It's all in your head. Smash events aren't scary. Be confident. Go in there and try your best, but be able to laugh when you get rekt (and you WILL get rekt). Most people are nice. If someone's a ****, it's their loss. Bring earbuds/headphones if you need extra help getting your mind off stuff. Money match the best person there, it'll be like jumping in the deep end when you just learned to swim. It's good for you.

Last edited:

JackSSB

Smash Cadet
Honestly, don't try to conceal the fact that you're new to tournaments when going to an event. Allow someone to help you out wherever you need it, as it'll make things a lot less confusing. Check out this video [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YePIBypk_DI], which takes you step by step playing a legit tourney match. And let yourself know that there isn't that much on the line if you lose. Just set a simple goal for yourself for your first few tournaments. For example, perhaps try and just take a game off a player. Then next tournament, try and take a set. Don't feel bad for going 0-2, because it's probably gonna happen. It's happened to every player at some point. I know firsthand that Smash events can hold an oddly intimidating atmosphere. But a good T.O wants everyone to have a good experience so if someones a **** to you for being naive, then either brush it off or if they take it too far let a T.O know. Everyone is there to play the game they love, and have a good and comfortable.

tldr; let people help you, don't feel bad for losing, set goals, be relaxed and let it be a learning experience, also click that link

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
try bringing a close friend, if they like smash or not. they can help loosen you up and have a fun time

Top Bottom