• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tournament nerves?

Hunybear

Smash Ace
Idk I normally get nervous the first couple of rounds and then when i'm warmed it's gone, but by then i have already been sent to losers. I actually feel more comfortable there and plow through. Is there anything i can do to help with my nerves. Dose anyone else have this?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
This is pretty normal for everybody. When you're competing in something you care about, you generally get nervous because you want to win. Don't worry about it, it's something everybody has.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yeah, I feel that. But being nervous means you care about it. If you didn't care about how you do, you wouldn't be nervous at all, so unless you stop caring about the game it probably won't go away.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
^^^ The first tourny I went to, I was shaking like nobodies business. Now, I just laugh the whole time because it's all about having fun.

One thing I like to do is compliment the other player whenever they do something well. It can end in a mutual exchange type of thing and everyone feels better when they get complimented.

Soupy

Sage of Wind
It's a shame not everyone displays such sportsmanship. Some people be saltier than a bag of dried cod.
Yeahhhhhhhhh. Some people forget that it's about having fun.

Someone at our local weeklies actually threw his chair/controller because he got 4-stocked and now they have rules against it haha.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
I've been getting very salty in my recent tournament losses. Not ragequitting or anything, but just the feeling of endless hopelessness. It really kills my momentum, especially when it's mid-game.

I wouldn't get mad. Instead, I would just be so upset and leave/refuse handshakes.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
When losing, regardless of how badly, always see it as experience, and as something that gives you a lesson to learn in the MU. Practice makes perfect. I'm sure the likes of Mango, Mew2King, Leffen, Dabuz, and PPMD among countless others, got their butts handed to them early in their careers before they became the pros they currently are.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for that motivational enlightment.

I just take my losses too hard. I'm not sure if losing more matches in tournament will get me used to it or make it worse. It's just something that happens especially when I care so much about the win.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner

I just take my losses too hard. I'm not sure if losing more matches in tournament will get me used to it or make it worse. It's just something that happens especially when I care so much about the win.
Look at it this way: You'll have many more chances to practice and get better, many more chances to shine, and many more tournaments to attend. It's not over until you decide it is.

Soupy

Sage of Wind

The more experience you get, the better you'll get. That includes losing.

Look at Korean DJ!! EVERY big name in Melee talked about just pooping on him constantly, but he would keep money matching them. Even though he kept losing over and over and over.

Eventually, the tables turned and he became one of the big names in old school Melee.

GspotMicrostock

Smash Rookie
I heard that most people will do bad/have nerves at their first go in a tournament and I thought experience in front of crowds of people would have prepared me for it but it wasn't really the factor of there being a crowd there so it was a different animal. It was more about the significance of what was going on that manifested as nervousness. Next time I'm going to try and imagine that the tournament matches are just friendlies matches, that i need to go harder in for unspecified reason. I think I read that somewhere else . haven't personally tested it myselff though but hopefully someday soon!

Top Bottom