• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Mode thoughts

manilamerc

Smash Cadet
Some people are unhappy about this FREE update but I think it's great! Greater than I expected Nintendo to do! The only problem I have is that I'll be waiting in a tourney with let's say 8 competitors and the tourney is starting in 5m, then after the 5m is up It says that it's canceled because no not enough people entered. It happened to me quite a bit. Other than that I can actually play against people online in a tourney fashion. Something I always wanted in Smash. No offline tourney though unfortunately. Not sure why I don't think it's that hard for them to do.

ANYWAY... I'm happy for us Nintendo fans to have this. Could have been way better but I'm thankful for this free update
What are your thoughts?

Oh and check me out playing Tournament Mode for the first time. Was excited for the update so I recorded gameplay right away.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Im quite happy to have it as well but I'd make more FG 1v1 Tournaments since people take those up quick!

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
My only real complaint about tournament mode is pretty petty, but it does still bother me. You know how when you win your round, it will show you the grid of other fighters? Currently, this shows you the results of any match that has ended before yours, but those matches still in progress are, obviously shown as still in progress. I may be the only one bothered by this but... would it be so hard to have the matches that finish after you update when finished as well? It seems like a simple process since it already shows you those done before you, and it feels like a small touch that would make the wait after a short match less annoying.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I hate how it relies off of percentage done instead of your actual percentage. That's really annoying.

Bellerophon

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistermaster420
I used to hate it when it initially came out, but I started liking it better after all of the changes to it. I like how they caught on that no one likes timed mode and people only played 1v1 for glory and 1v1 custom for glory, which people quickly stopped entering because of others using janky equipment (looking at you, auto healer badge).

The only real annoying things are the timer and tiebreaker method. The time is obviously way too short and it encourages scumbag tactics such as stalling or camping (which is kinda ironic, considering what the mechanic is for tiebreakers.)

Speaking of the tiebreaker method, it makes sense when it's put into a free-for-all perspective. You can't constantly run away in ffa because there are other people that your opponent can attack, rather than trying to chase the staller. In 1v1s however, you're forced to play a game of cat and mouse if your opponent tries to stall. It's also annoying to see a match go on for 3 minutes and see that there are a bunch of other people that keep going for another minute or two.

The absolute worst part of it though is that you can't make your own tournaments. Thanks Massive Hero Sack o Rye :181:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Once I can set Customs Only No Equipment as a rule for a personal tournament, it will probably be great.

Oh, and putting a maximum ping limit on matches would be great.

Still, it's nice to have. Just wish there was still an offline version, even if it was meh single elimination character locked.

Top Bottom