• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament help..1 Steakling Nobody Seeking the Sauce...

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
**WARNING LONG DRAMATIC INTRO**

Alright...
I have studied from Kojin's genius, watched and digested enough Steak from all the A1 worthy players here, I used what I have applied what I learned with my own style and have earned the number 1 spot in my school from their last tourney.... (Jerome from Digital Harbor look me up) .

ANYWAY, This all means nothing if I can't compete and BEAT the best of the best, but alas I'm just starting out and I'm a nobody for now. I've never been to a REAL tourney and this is where I need you all to come in.
It's hard to find a tourney or challenging players here in my part of Baltimore/MD.
I also just don't want to go to a tourney out of state or instate and make a missteak that would bring my name shame and/or be the ammo used for the already many Sonic Bashers out here before I even start.
I'm gonna upload vids of my new and improved Sonic...I think I'm alot better compared to the last vids I sent here...just so y'all know I'm not all talk...I'm thinking of going to Otakon (Anime convention in baltimore,maryland) for the SSBB tournament there. Let me know if this is a bad move please.

**THE POINT**
What tournaments would you recommend for a Sonic just starting out?
How do I come up from competitive casual play to tourney play?, so that way I'm not just winning but winning with knowledgable experience being gained.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Shado, Speed, Kojin, and Bionic are all MD/VA Sonics.

Just go to any tournament as soon as you can, really. You won't learn anything until you actually go to something. Don't worry about the quote on quote "Sonic Bashers".

Hell, all of the Sonics here that are actually any good at this game had to deal with it, and we earned the shred of respect we have now. Sonic didn't go +8 on the tier list for nothin'. That was us. Don't care about other people's opinions, just do your best and do whatever you have to do to become the best. If you suck at this game, people will say you suck and you lose. If you suck, and you get better, people will slowly start to notice. If you're amazing at this game, you'll be revered as a great player. Simple as that. It's just a game after all.

Also, this didn't need it's own thread...lol. Next time post in the Tournament thread, the FAQ, and when you get your vids up, post in the Winning Steak cinemas.

:093:

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
man, and Sh4dey, take this from me. MD is TOUGH. We got Lobos, Chillin, Azen, Meep, Chu dat, and many others. I dont think that they will be at the convention, but still, it is tough.

im sorry Chis, just had to let him know.

Just make sure to review this board before the tourney. First tourneys are cool, but dont go in misinformed.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sonic sucks.

There, now accept it before you go to your tourney. You will place much higher once you realize how bad he is.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Shadey, if you're a noob no one is going to give you crap for not representing Sonic like Shugo or 3000. Don't be afraid to make some mistakes and whatnot. You'll learn things as you go along.

infomon

Smash Scientist
You can find A1 sauce at many grocery stores.

But it takes practice to consistently grill a delicious steak.

:054:

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
@Camalange: Okay, I'll make sure I get to play/know them somehow atleast once in my lifetime. I'm also relearning all the boards, so I thank you for the guidance and Mods for their patience. Anyway, swallowing my pride and accepting that Sonic sucks is gonna be a little hard, but if it will place me higher and make my performance better then I'll do my best.

@SonicMaster5: All I can say is bring it on lol. I'm actually kinda excited to face the people you named and more, seeing that they are probably on a totally different lvl than me, it should be fun.
I don't think me being misinformed about Sonic is likely to happen. I mean, I try to follow the rules of the match ups while trying to out play the player, I have nearly performed and incoprorated most of Sonic's AT's into my playstyle, All there's left for me to learn I think is DDP ,True pivoting and more mindgames. Or Is there more for me to know or review? Please correct me if needed.

@TwinkleToes: Alright, I'll give it my best shot.

@Infzy: I was lost at first lol, but deep words...deeper meaning..I'll take heed to what you just said. I'll keep practicing.

@All: So basically, There isn't a definite way to play in tourney and I gotta live and learn? If I got it, then let me know.

~TBS~

Smash Champion
Rolling around at the speed of Sound, Maryland.
well, everything you just stated is what you need to remember.

But one quick note. DDP isn't required, but it can open up alot options. Also, your sig has my tag i use in brawl in it, Speed...3 times. I approve Sh4dey.

Reviewing match-ups are the most important, though. MD has alot of high/top tier users, and few middle/low tiers. (Believe me, if you arent prepared, those low tiers will be hard.)

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
maryland is a HUGE smash scene. theres tourney going on down there, almost every week.

You can find them more easily if you check the tournament listing section of this site

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
@SonicMaster5:
Glad to have your approval, Speed is the name of the game, but anyway If there is an AT that's new to me I'm requiring myself to learn it...or atleast to be able to perform it once lol, I mean I can see my game increasing greatly if I can use DDP into my playstyle.

I know my Sonic needs alot of work, but DDP in my opinion would help me since I'm a grounded type player or at least I see myself as it. Plus since Sonic "sucks" in general I would need to know/do everything I can to enhance him right?, so I don't think I really have an option.

As For the match ups: I don't know whether the people I play are playing their chars wrong or the match ups need to be constantly updated and/or changed to accomedate/consider opponents playstyle. Samus for example, the Samus I know and play frequently don't ever attempt to stay at a range and missile/blast me to death.

They come at me guns blazing with this "Catch this falling Z-air laser, forward tilt, Fullcharge blast combo with a homing missile as a parting gift" attitude where they are keeping me on my toes more than a campy/spammy Samus would.

(I have a video to show that combo by the way) I didn't see a a tip in the Match ups to say what to do against these aggressive Samus types and I had to develop an enitrely different strategy seeing as closing the gap and sticking close didn't cut it. Or Are the match ups just a general thing? Meaning Are the Samus's described in the match ups, are the Samus's you'll meet most likely in a tourney? If that's the case then nevermind what I said, I'll just adapt to whatever is thrown.

@da K.I.D.:
Really? I don't see much lol. Also it's kinda hard to navigate the "Tournament Listing" in my opinion. There's so much going on it's a lil overwhelming, but I'll keep trying.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
another alternative would be to search out players in your area and tell them who you are and ask them about tourneys in your area

Chudat (the main MD/VA tourney organizer)
Candy
meepxzero
Jaybee
Shadofiend
kadaj

theres a few to find to get yourself started

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
I understand it can be hard deciding what your first tournament should be, but you'll get the hang of it. Here...

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=240129

I found this right on the first page of Tournament Listings. Shadofiend and I both plan on attending this MD tournament. See what you can do.

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
Thank you very much.

I Got it. Read it. I'll most likely be there. It's only an hour ride away, and the rules don't look to bad.

Hello first tourney and hello first place in singles. :laugh:

4nace

Smash Ace
Sonic sucks.

There, now accept it before you go to your tourney. You will place much higher once you realize how bad he is.

You wouldnt really place higher, but you would be able to give yourself and excuse when you dont make it out of pool play...

OR you could just pick up a better character =)

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
You wouldnt really place higher
Of course you would.

You play much better once you accept that your character really is just that bad. You focus more on how to cover the weaknesses and take advantage of your strengths.

ShadoFiend

Smash Lord
Yea you really should have seeked me out if you're an MD/VA Sonic. I talk to all of them. Hit me up sometime if you want to talk and know about the scene here. I'll tell you now. Don't expect any of these tournies to be easy.

My First tourney I got like. 2nd to last. But now I can atleast get top 10 once in awhile. Its a growing experience.

Also word of advice. Don't become a book worm on this site. You'll end up being predictable in the end. Trust me. I've seen it happen to someone out here...

Boxob.

Smash Lord
If there's one thing I can tell you. It takes a good while to place even decently. Don't be surprised if your first 5, 6, or in my case, 12 tourneys go awful. The thing that will keep you back the most is match up experience. YOU NEED MATCH UP EXPERIENCE. I can't stress this enough. You need to know how a character works VERY extensively, or it is without a doubt, a loss for you.

I would honestly suggest playing brawl everyday for a couple of days, and cycle through every character for at least an hour. Try to look up what they can and won't do on smashboards. It will help you tremendously.

First constructive post in a while, I feel like a champ.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
<3BoxxyBox
The MU stuff is very true.

But to add on to what Shadofiend said...it's good to read our threads and learn all what Sonic can do, but it's extremely important to test things on your own. If you just keep trying to incorporate everything that you see on these boards and focus too much on one of those two things that you saw on the boards and looked "zomg oh so good", you'll start forgetting the basics. Take the advanced things in slowly. Start off just mastering basics, and slowly incorpate the more advanced stuff that you think you could use most in your game.

Kojin made me realize I was losing sight of my basics when he analyzed my playstyle. He noticed that I started using a lot less tilts and relied/focused on getting the grab too much and "comboing" out of the grab. I then kinda went back to basics for awhile, went to more tournaments, and started realizing what worked, what didn't work, what only worked in a given situation, what provokes certain responces in players, etc.

I hope you actually make something of this because I think this is the most grateful or boards has ever been in giving out tourney advice...lmao even Boxob was a good boy xD

Sh4dey

Smash Rookie
NNID
Coming
@ShadoFiend:
I will definately contact and play you, Your one of the Sonics I want to play the most. I'm not too cocky to be stupid to say I'll beat you but I'm cocky enough to say I'll get at least get higher than the 2nd to last place on my first tourney. Other than that, I hear your advice well, to not to become a bookworm. I'll make sure to try to learn more through my experiences.

@Boxob:
I'm actually quite honored to here from you since I just read a thread here about you being pissed at us noobs for using steak all the time. I thank you. I can't wait to start this tourney, I really want to see how bad I'am going to perform. That feels so backwards lol. Also I think I got it, I think It's like I must learn match ups to an almost godly level it seems if I want to do well with Sonic.
So, are you suggesting that you want me to cycle through and learn every character ? or Use Sonic and play every character in brawl to study/find out what they will and won't do? to attempt to accomplish this great feat.

@Camalange:
I remember Tenki saying something about mastering the basics in the past, but now that I'm thinking about it this way, I don't think I wanna post my videos anymore lol ,seeing as everything you just said you did I'm already doing in a way. In any case, I understand what your saying. Without a doubt, I'm definately getting something out of this.

I thank everyone for their wisdom, I will do my best.

Boxob.

Smash Lord
I meant to try and play as every character yourself for a bit to try and see what they can do. It helped me out a LOT lately.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Sh4dey, you gotta stop putting people here up on a pedestal. If you knew anything about Boxob you'd know he'll post on anything that moves. We're all just a bunch of clowns that happen to know a few useful things.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Sh4dey, you gotta stop putting people here up on a pedestal. If you knew anything about Boxob you'd know he'll post on anything that moves. We're all just a bunch of clowns that happen to know a few useful things.
Incredibly sexy clowns that are above average at Smash.

Top Bottom