• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament advice for a Yoshi Rookie

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
Sorry if a thread like this already exists, it can be deleted if there is one. I'm new here so excuse my noobishness

So I am a relatively new Melee player and strictly Yoshi main. I have attended one tournament for high schoolers and did decent. Its about a month until my next tournament. I was wondering what advice could more experienced players give me on taking advantage of Yoshi's unique play style over people who do not know the matchup well. Also what should I do if they do know the matchup. I know most Of the basic yoshi tech such as DJC and can consistently do Ledge cancelled eggs, however I am still working on more advanced techniques such as parrying.
In general, what Yoshi-specific tournament advice can you give. Thanks!

Icyo

Smash Ace
Focusing on fundamentals is a good way to assure success regardless if they know the match-up. Yoshi is a complex character with a hard-to-learn neutral game. Keep it simple. Only do what you know works.

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
Be sure to be good at aerial momentum shifts with your djc's and wavelands. It can be very hard to track Yoshi with his horizontal velocity, his waveland velocity, and his ability to entirely change direction on a whim especially w/ platforms.

Also, work on using yoshi's double jump as a bait to punish the opponent.

Last edited:

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
Thanks for the great advice! I'm gonna play some friendlies today so I will work on my aerial momentum shifts and neutral game. Also another problem I had was with adapting. Since the sets were 2 out of 3, the sets I lost would usually be me getting owned the first round,and then making it super close the second round. Is this a problem of my ability to adapt quickly or do I just need to know the match-ups better. I feel like the first match is vital for me to win as I am more of a momentum based player.

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
Ok, I will continue to practice. My goal for the next tourney is top 16 which I wasn't too far from getting. Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom