• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tough questtion about Side-B attack

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
What determines whether or not Marth's side-B attack will help him float or exert no directional influence whatsoever? I've been experimenting with it, and the only pattern i can discern is that if you remain stationary and keep jumping, it will work every other time, but this does not hold true if you move around and attack and such. It is crucial that i find out when it will and wont work so i don't keep botching up my recovery and evasions. Can anybody help me out?

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
The first aerial use of >B will cause marth to float upwards a small, set distance while retaining his left/right momentum. The distance does not stack with his second jump, so if you use it while you're in the middle of rising from your second jump, it will cancel out the vertical distance you would have gained, and instead float you a little bit as it usually does.

The second use of it in the air will cause marth to slow all vertical movement for a split second, but he will retain his left/right momentum. The difference in the second use while aerial is that it does not 'float' marth a short distance like the first one does. Like the first use, the vertical 'stoppage' will cancel out your second jump, so be sure to gain full height from it before you use >B.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention, the only way to regain your "first, floaty use" of >B is to land on the ground. Hanging on the edge will not reset it.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Is doing a second >B in the air still more efficient than just falling though?

thebluedeath1000

Smash Champion
eh, I've never heard of having to reload the over b to gain distance, I've been knocked away hard and over-B-ed far more than twice to reach the ledge and the gain was still there..and knocked away again without touching land and still gained so I can say thats not the case.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I'll bet that getting hit also reloads the side-b. It just doesn't work more than once in the air, without being hit, and catching an edge doesn't reload it. Thx Klowne.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, and i forgot to mention, the only way to regain your "first, floaty use" of >B is to land on the ground. Hanging on the edge will not reset it.
That's why you have the edit button...anyway, I'm not sure when the >B will give you distance or not but I'm pretty sure it's not having to wait to charge or anything like that. Also, Razgriz, no offense but I think you're talking nonsense with the whole reload thing.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
That's why you have the edit button...anyway, I'm not sure when the >B will give you distance or not but I'm pretty sure it's not having to wait to charge or anything like that. Also, Razgriz, no offense but I think you're talking nonsense with the whole reload thing.
how do you not know when it gives him distance if your a "Marth pro"? anways... OT

if you side B multiple times in a row, he will do a combo, which will hinder his recovery. i usually use the combo if i am literally next to my opponent on the edge so i dont get edgehogged or edge guarded. but if you side B once and then wait a second and do it again, he will do the same beginning move of the combo over and over again which will cause him to float and get closer to the level to recover.

uremog

Smash Ace
The first aerial use of >B will cause marth to float upwards a small, set distance while retaining his left/right momentum. The distance does not stack with his second jump, so if you use it while you're in the middle of rising from your second jump, it will cancel out the vertical distance you would have gained, and instead float you a little bit as it usually does.

The second use of it in the air will cause marth to slow all vertical movement for a split second, but he will retain his left/right momentum. The difference in the second use while aerial is that it does not 'float' marth a short distance like the first one does. Like the first use, the vertical 'stoppage' will cancel out your second jump, so be sure to gain full height from it before you use >B.

goodness. this was the only thing necessary.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I think a few people got the wrong idea from my post.

1. Repeatedly using >B more than once DOES help your horizontal recovery. I wasn't trying to say it doesn't.

2. The first time you use >B in the air, it gives a little bit of vertical distance, as well as horizontal. If you keep using it afterwords, it will only give horizontal distance. In order for it to give vertical distance again, you need to land on the ground first. That's all i meant from the whole 'reloading' thing.

3. Sorry for the double post.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
Wow i didn't know that using it more than once was of any benefit to recovery. Thx again. However, when i remain stationary and use >B when jumping, I gain some vertical distance, then i land, jump again, use >B and i get no vertical DI whatsoever. It continues to work exactly every other time. Shouldn't it be "reloaded" by landing? Try this out if you don't believe me.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Are you letting the jump work to it's fullest before you >B? I'd try to test it out, but my bro is using the GC right now. But if I do come up with the same results, then maybe there's also a small cooldown on using the floaty one. Or maybe you're just missing it; from the way i explained it, people are probably expecting some huge vertical 4th jump or something, heh.

To make it clearer, you could watch some of the Aniki vs Ken vids on youtube. Ken will often use his >B in the air to avoid Aniki's projectiles, because it causes him to hang in the air long enough for the boomerang/bomb to fly past. And in almost any marth vids you will see the player using >B to recover horizontally after being knocked off.

Also: If you're using it to help recover, don't repeat it TOO fast, i think that actually slows you down.

Bungalobill3

Smash Rookie
Test it when you are actually falling. I believe that the first three times that you use the first attack of the >B it will help recovery (just not as well each time), but I am not sure what resets it to start helping again. Anyway, the first one raising and the next two being better than falling is from my minimal experience recovering marth, and the fact that my friend died once when he could have live if he didn't >B four or five times. I think that hitting the ground may be what resets it, but I have to test.

Razgriz

Smash Journeyman
I would like to rescend my previous statement. I found that i was doing something wrong. However, I would like to clarify that the >B does give you horizontal DI after the first use. Are you sure about that or is it just speculation?

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
I would like to rescend my previous statement. I found that i was doing something wrong. However, I would like to clarify that the >B does give you horizontal DI after the first use. Are you sure about that or is it just speculation?
I'm fairly sure using it more than once will help your horizontal recovery. No real facts to back it up though, sorry.

Bungalobill3

Smash Rookie
I just went out and tested it, the first time helped a lot, but the other ones didn't seem to do anything, and they all had exactly the same animation. I think that after the first they are all the same. However, it didn't hurt to use it more than once, and it may have helped an imperceivable amount, I'll have to look at this again tomorrow.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
how do you not know when it gives him distance if your a "Marth pro"? anways... OT
Dude, don't be using my name against me, it was just made for a small joke because I used to be horrible at smash. Anyway, I see the >+B has a pattern, the first one gives you distance and the second one doesn't then the third one gives you distance. I could be wrong, don't quote me on this.

FrostByte

Smash Lord
There is a set time as to when you can use the "floaty" over-b. It might have something to do with invincibility frames, it might have something to do with hanging on ledges and it might have something to do with how long your feet have been touching the ground. The latter is more believable, but I can't be bothered to find out.

Dreadlord Santa

Smash Journeyman
I'm fairly certain that, once you've used the floaty ->B, and you grab the ledge, the rest of them will actually make you lose vertical distance. Like, enough vertical distance so that you can't even grab the ledge again, unless you jump straight vertically, and I'm not even sure about that. It shouldn't happen too often, but be aware of it anyway.

CmRoddy

Smash Journeyman
Dude, don't be using my name against me, it was just made for a small joke because I used to be horrible at smash. Anyway, I see the >+B has a pattern, the first one gives you distance and the second one doesn't then the third one gives you distance. I could be wrong, don't quote me on this.
your right on the first one giving you distance. if you press >+B once it will give you some distance. you can also give yourself more distance if you press >+B again but not to do the combo. i hope that makes sense. press >+B but than wait for a split second for the combo opportunity to go away and do it again. this will give you exponential distance towards the stage. don't do the combo in the air because it can and probably will kill you. but if that is what you were talking about than just ignore this post.

Marth/Falco Pro

Smash Lord
your right on the first one giving you distance. if you press >+B once it will give you some distance. you can also give yourself more distance if you press >+B again but not to do the combo. i hope that makes sense. press >+B but than wait for a split second for the combo opportunity to go away and do it again. this will give you exponential distance towards the stage. don't do the combo in the air because it can and probably will kill you. but if that is what you were talking about than just ignore this post.
LOL, I was talking about the pausing one that helps you recover, not the dang combo...:dizzy: Any Marth that is even noob knows that the combo would kill you while you're recovering.

flaco

The Terminator
What determines whether or not Marth's side-B attack will help him float or exert no directional influence whatsoever? I've been experimenting with it, and the only pattern i can discern is that if you remain stationary and keep jumping, it will work every other time, but this does not hold true if you move around and attack and such. It is crucial that i find out when it will and wont work so i don't keep botching up my recovery and evasions. Can anybody help me out?
um well you just need to time the swipe right am assuming when your coming back to the stage right so its all about timing my friend and practice thats all.:chuckle:

FrostByte

Smash Lord
Ok, here's the deal. Every time Marth touches the ground, he recovers his floaty overB. -(Jump, OverB, Land)-(Jump, OverB, Land)-. However, recovering from a ledge after using an overB will cause him to use one normal overB unless he gets hit after landing on the ground.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
This thread. Is too funny.

It's like FrostByte said.

I just call it Marth's Float.

The first use of Marth's fb in air uses his float.

To get it back, touch the ground.

Subsequent fb's after using your float just slow your fall, less after each use.

You don't get it back from anything other than touching the ground.

When recovering, time your fb's about a second apart for maximum distance. leave a little more time between the first and second swipe, then a little less between 2nd and further swipes.

Aerial momentum will affect your float if you are ********.

Top Bottom