• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tortimer Island: Research Notes

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
My previous stage research topics are apparently being moved to the Smash Academy subforum. Go there or use the links below if you want to see them.

In other news, senpai noticed me! Ahem.

(No pictures this time, sorry.)

Previously Covered:
Arena Ferox
Rainbow Road
Mute City
Magicant
Unova Pokemon League

Layout:
Tortimer Island's unique gimmick is that it does not have a static layout. The overall size is consistent, a bit less than twice the length of Final Destination, but the details vary each time someone selects the stage. Regardless of the exact layout, Players 1 and 2 start on the left and right edges, while Players 3 and 4 start closer to the middle.

The Omega Form of Tortimer Island is consistent and has solid walls all the way down. Players cannot fly underneath.

In addition to the randomized layout, Tortimer Island has 4 stage hazards that can appear throughout a match: fruit, beehives, Kapp'n's boat, and a shark.

Random Layout:
One side of the stage ends in a beach, while the other side ends in a pier. The pier is usually in good condition but can sometimes be in a state of disrepair. In either case, it serves as a grabbable edge. The beach itself cannot be grabbed and players must land on the stage when recovering from that side. Both sides of the stage have solid walls that extend all the way down to the blast line. The water around the stage is cosmetic and functions identically to air; there is no swimming.

The interior of the stage can contain additional beach, a raised grassy area, or both in varying amounts and sizes. The grassy area has sloped sides that are shallow enough to walk on. Some projectiles such as Samus's Charge Shot will impact the slope and vanish, while others like Villager's Lloid Rocket will simply follow the terrain without issue. If the beach is wide enough, it may contain a shallow tide pool.

Trees may be scattered across the island. Deciduous trees in the grass function as a pair of platforms, one over the other with the upper platform being slightly smaller, while palm trees on the beach function as a single platform, possibly at a slight angle. Tree size is not constant, and both small and large trees can be present.

Fruit:
Fruit periodically grows from the trees on the island and can be knocked to the ground by attacking the tree. A projectile will hit the tree instead of continuing on unless the projectile has piercing properties. Trees without fruit will not block projectiles. Most fruit heals a small amount when picked up, although a few have special properties. Deciduous trees and palm trees grow different types of fruit, and trees are not limited to producing only a single type of fruit. Existing fruit must first be knocked down before new fruit can appear.

Deciduous Trees:
  • Apple: Heals 4%
  • Orange: Heals 3%
  • Pear: Heals 2%
  • Cherry: Heals 6%
  • Peach: Heals 5%
  • Lemon: Heals 4%
  • Mango: Heals 5%
  • Lychee: Heals 3%
  • Durian: Does not heal. Can be thrown for 3% damage. Sometimes explodes when thrown for 25% damage with knockback comparable to a Bombchu item, thrower is immune. Can be attacked and will eventually vanish if enough damage is taken, has approximately 50 HP.

Palm Trees:
  • Banana: Heals 3%. Spawns a Banana Peel item in the player's hand when eaten.
  • Coconut: Does not heal. Can be thrown for 3% damage. Sometimes explodes when thrown for 25% damage with knockback comparable to a Bombchu item, thrower is immune. Can be attacked and will eventually vanish if enough damage is taken, has approximately 50 HP.

Apples, Peaches, Cherries, Pears, and Oranges can come in "Perfect" varieties that heal an additional 5%. Perfect fruit is differently colored than normal fruit.

Persimmons have not been observed but are speculated to exist as they are the only fruit from New Leaf not yet seen on this stage.

Beehive:
Instead of fruit, a deciduous tree may hold a Beehive item. It is invisible until the tree is attacked, at which point it falls out. Attacks with lingering or multiple hitboxes can potentially hit both the tree and the Beehive as it falls.

Although it is difficult to determine if a tree holds a Beehive without attacking it, one can begin to assume this is the case if a tree has gone a long time without producing any fruit.

Kapp'n:
Kapp'n will sometimes pull up to the pier in his boat, effectively extending the stage slightly. If the pier is in good condition, his boat serves as a smooth extension of the playable surface, but the broken pier is lower and leaves a small gap. He remains for 25 seconds before leaving, which is done with little warning but begins slowly so as to give players a chance to disembark.

Kappn's boat has as a grabbable edge and can be jumped through from below, preventing players from getting stuck underneath.

While Kapp'n is present, the camera will zoom out to keep him in view.

Shark:
Occasionally a shark will appear and swim around offshore. When a player is nearby it will attempt a leaping bite attack that deals 18% damage and kills Mario off the top at 36%. Normal contact with the shark does 7% damage and can kill Mario at 150%. It does not linger for very long and leaves after 12 seconds.

When the shark is present, the camera will zoom out to keep the general area in view, although it tends to swim back and forth over the edge of the screen.

The shark will not appear if Kapp'n is already present, and vice versa.

Summary:
  • Overall size is consistent, a bit less than twice the length of Final Destination.
  • Exact layout is randomized each match.
  • Beach has no grabbable edge, only the pier can be grabbed.
  • Trees serve as platforms, variable size, spawn fruit.
  • Fruit drops when trees are attacked.
  • Most fruit simply heals player for 2%-11%.
  • Durians and Coconuts do not heal, can be thrown for 3%, rarely explode for 25%.
  • Bananas spawn Banana Peel items when eaten.
  • A tree can hide a Beehive item instead of fruit.
  • Kapp'n sometimes parks at the pier for 25 seconds.
  • Shark lurks offshore, does 18% bite damage or 7% contact damage, kills Mario off the top at 36% and 150% respectively.
  • Kapp'n and the shark will not appear if the other is already present.

Last edited:

MissingNumbers

Smash Cadet
NNID
MissingN
3DS FC
1048-8190-3701
Can I just be the first to say that I feel this stage is really underrated? From what I've heard, it's not exactly a liked stage, even though its threats are minor at worst (heck, the Beehive doesn't even show up if you have it turned off, IIRC).

Last edited:

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Personally, I wish that the fruits didn't appear when items are turned off. Otherwise this stage is pretty fun.

ThirdDay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
toastyost
3DS FC
1934-1050-5329
I actually like the fruits in the non-mega form of this stage. It heals you by at least a couple % but this can be crutial if you are in an intense game.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
Fruit isn't the only issue, and in fact it's probably the smallest (though a stage that spawns items is still an insta-ban, it's not just fruit but bees and bombs augh). The stage also lacks a ledge on one side, which turns edgeguarding into something from Rivals of Aether... only a lot of characters are mostly just dead as soon as they go offstage, because you can't walljump out of special fall.

Now that's not actually TOO bad, at least by itself, since you can at least plan around it and try and stay by the other side of the stage that has a ledge. Except....except sometimes, it doesn't?

This right here is the ultimate reason why Tortimer Island could never be legal as a stage. It's also why Mario Maker could never be legal as a stage, and why I'm absolutely enamored with both (though I haven't gotten Mario Maker yet, something I very much intend to remedy). The stage changes every time you play, meaning it's impossible to discern matchups for that specific stage iteration, and by extension it's impossible to form a proper game plan prior to starting the match. Both of these make it extremely risky to choose it as a potential counterpick, and nothing that any character or player could reliably fall back on. People generally dislike Halberd and Delfino, but at least you know what you're getting into in advance- the influence that RNG has on this stage (the main reason why items as a whole are banned in competitive, I might add) means that it's not even worth the effort of putting a stage ban on it in bracket because neither player will want to or even consider going there.

I love this stage to death in literally any other setting, but at the end of the day it simply wasn't meant for competitive use.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Now that's not actually TOO bad, at least by itself, since you can at least plan around it and try and stay by the other side of the stage that has a ledge. Except....except sometimes, it doesn't?
The pier always has a grabbable ledge, as does Kappn's boat when it's present next to the pier.

Codaption

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3454-1643-6973
The pier always has a grabbable ledge, as does Kappn's boat when it's present next to the pier.
What about when the pier is broken-

*checks*

.............Welp. Was going by memory on that one, sorry. Still doesn't really change the fact that the stage is extremely rng-heavy, though, I'm sure even the fact that the pier switches sides would be enough to set some people off.

Top Bottom