• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Tier Custom Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

CecilioLanz

Smash Rookie
Hi there. I will start training Smash4 with custom characters. However, I would like to know which character and combination of attacks and power ups do you consider the best set to compite.
Thanks in advance.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Hi there. I will start training Smash4 with custom characters. However, I would like to know which character and combination of attacks and power ups do you consider the best set to compite.
Thanks in advance.
Sheik, no customs needed...

But if you must play a custom character, perhaps our goddess Palutena would help. Best combination would be Lightweight, Superspeed, Warp or Jump Glide, Auto-Reticle or Explosive Flame. So long as you have Lightweight and Superspeed, I don't think it matters what you choose after.

_gold_

Smash Master
I'm afraid I can't help you too much with customs. Not a fan, so I don't use them much.
However, Esam's Pikachu at EVO was pretty impressive. The combination of the thunder wave and heavy skull bash was deadly.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Thanks in advance.
Palutena with Heavenly Light, Warp, Lightweight, and Super Speed

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Heavenly light is nowhere as useful as auto-reticle or explosive flame
I was gonnamed add one with Explosive Flame, but that was to obvious. Heavenly Light can be extremely useful in the right hands

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
Thanks in advance.
In the customs meta, the top characters are debatably :4sheik::rosalina::4pikachu:,which are still top characters eve without customs. Although, as a bit of advice, try to make sure you actually like the character before maining them, it's much easier to put in the work and get better as a character you like than one you feel 'meh' about.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I think Crescent Slash Marth is pretty cool. But he's in the bottom half of the tier list though....

The Puffer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4485-1171-5786
I would recommend Palutena or the Miis (yes, the three of them) since their customs are unlocked from beginning and are actually different from the other variants. In other words, you can adapt them to your play style.

I was gonnamed add one with Explosive Flame, but that was to obvious. Heavenly Light can be extremely useful in the right hands
I think Heavenly Light is absorbable (?) if that's the case then it's perfect for doubles or squads (if that's still a thing).

TheMarsh

Smash Rookie
NNID
tedsterkid
Olimar is pretty good if you know how to use him in the first place. Take Hardy Pikmin Pluck, basically any variation of Pikmin throw is good but it depends on your play style. Regular Pikmin throw is the middle ground, Sticky Pikmin Throw is more defensive and Tackle Pikmin Throw is more aggressive. Take Mighty Winged Pikmin for recovery and Order Tackle

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Sheik and Rosalina are the best characters in the game with or without customs. Pikachu is right behind them with customs, though he might be surpassed by Luigi without them.

Sheik and Rosalina don't necessarily drastically get better with customs, they are just THAT good conceptually that none of the other characters end up hard countering them suddenly or anything when customs are on. However, some of their customs fix some MUs they have that are otherwise a little troublesome compared to the norm. For example, Rosalina VS Shulk would be a fairly even MU without customs, which breaks the trend of Rosalina normally having a significant if not dominating advantage against most of the cast. With customs though, even the Shulk MU becomes fairly easy for Rosalina, as the Luma Warp, Guardian Luma, and Shooting Star Bit customs fix all of the issues she normally has against Shulk (the fact that not even she can power through the Monado's range, and the fact that Luma really can't be sent out much as Shulk will just jump into Luma with the Monado - the listed customs however, give Rosalina a Falco laser-esque projectile that's fairly quick, a way for Luma to pass through Shulk or appear on top of Shulk with little end lag, and a way to make Luma momentarily invincible which can also shield Rosalina. None of Shulk's customs give him any fundamentally different tools either, and are honestly not that amazing, so he gets nothing to give Rosalina new problems or anything).

If you're talking equipment, well, it doesn't matter who you play as. Just make a good build and you're set. Auto Heal x3 is pretty broken.

Last edited:

Rhydon65

Smash Rookie
Donkey Kong is considered to be really strong when he has Storm Punch and Kong Cyclone.

I personally recommend Charizard with Fireball Cannon and Dragon Rush. The former lets you attack from a distance, and the latter is a safer choice than its counterpart since it doesn't knock yourself down.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Just play whomever you want to play, really. It should be at your own discretion that you decide on which character to work with.

That said, characters that benefit most distinctly from customs would include:

:4dk: :4drmario: :4palutena: :4ganondorf: :4kirby: :4marth: :4lucina: :4megaman: :4robinm: :rosalina: :4shulk: :4wario: :4wiifit:

This is by no means a comprehensive list, just a few of the more common characters for whom customs can substantially alter their overall gameplan. Characters like Palutena and Wii Fit Trainer, for example, benefit massively from customs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom