• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top player Ken combo

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Hey guys!
How come when I watch top players play (M2K, PPMD, PPU) they are able to ken combo fairly often.
However, when I play, I'm only able to Ken combo if my opponent is holding in (bad di), which seems pretty rare for a seasoned player.
It seems unlikely that in these top games, the opponents are holding in to allow the ken combo, so what is it that the top marths are doing that increase its viability?
Is there a certain hitbox of the fair that allows the ken combo even if they DI away?

[EDIT]
I'm aware of tipper vs nontipper hitboxes. However, for both hits, if they DI away you aren't able to ken combo. Tipper requires no di/holding in for a dair followup. nontipper just seems to smackem away, unless they hold in.

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
Hey guys!
How come when I watch top players play (M2K, PPMD, PPU) they are able to ken combo fairly often.
However, when I play, I'm only able to Ken combo if my opponent is holding in (bad di), which seems pretty rare for a seasoned player.
It seems unlikely that in these top games, the opponents are holding in to allow the ken combo, so what is it that the top marths are doing that increase its viability?
Is there a certain hitbox of the fair that allows the ken combo even if they DI away?
Well, as you might know, the tipper of his fair, shoots them up in the air, while the inner part of it sends them forward, what high-tier players do is hit with the inner part of it, and chain that into a final dair, the high hitstun may also help though.

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
Well, as you might know, the tipper of his fair, shoots them up in the air, while the inner part of it sends them forward, what high-tier players do is hit with the inner part of it, and chain that into a final dair, the high hitstun may also help though.
Also (heads up in not a marth main) but when people do into it... They try to set up their own combo/breaker. If you can't Ken combo them you most likely have them trying to recover so then you edge guard them, so then their screwed... Either way you have the stock. Hope this helped

AirFair

Marth tho
Honestly, when you get to a certain level, it becomes almost mechanical.

They know exactly what DI to look for and for what percents.

Experiment with the properties of fair and dair. At some point, you will know what works when.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
Hey guys I appreciate the words, but nobodys addressing my question.
I'm well aware of all the properties of fair/dair. I also have no trouble identifying ken combo situations and executing.

My main question is why do top players seem to have so many more of those potential ken combo situations after a fair.
Is it really just that their opponents are no DI/in DI? This seems most likely, but that's what scrubs do and the opponents aren't scrubs.

Last edited:

Thumbtack28

Smash Rookie
The beginings of most short combos lead to a Ken combo, so the percentages add up... A little here a little there, just adds up better

djmath

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys I appreciate the words, but nobodys addressing my question.
I'm well aware of all the properties of fair/dair. I also have no trouble identifying ken combo situations and executing.

My main question is why do top players seem to have so many more of those potential ken combo situations after a fair.
Is it really just that their opponents are no DI/in DI? This seems most likely, but that's what scrubs do and the opponents aren't scrubs.
it comes with practice. think about how short a ken combo is, just a couple second right? you have to know right off the bat which hitbox you hit with and which way your opponent is DI-ing in order to make the proper follow up. it comes with practice. watch more videos of different kinds of ken combos and keep playing. try to set it up more in matches and go for it

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
I also have no trouble identifying ken combo situations and executing
part of identifying a situation where a ken combo will work is setting up DI traps or recognizing situations where your opponent most likely won't or "can't" DI perfectly out of the fair. and what you're noticing from top players in terms of how often they're able to get ken combos is primarily a combination of that situational awareness as well as instantly reacting to ken-combo-permissive DI (expected or not) and executing perfectly.

additionally there are timing/spacing factors that can make it still possible against good-but-not-perfect DI, like hitting with the tail end of a tipper fair so that you can doublejump very soon afterwards, or hitting super deep with the non-sweetspot fair so you're moving far enough forward to somewhat chase away DI.

Rlagkrud

Smash Cadet
part of identifying a situation where a ken combo will work is setting up DI traps or recognizing situations where your opponent most likely won't or "can't" DI perfectly out of the fair. and what you're noticing from top players in terms of how often they're able to get ken combos is primarily a combination of that situational awareness as well as instantly reacting to ken-combo-permissive DI (expected or not) and executing perfectly.

additionally there are timing/spacing factors that can make it still possible against good-but-not-perfect DI, like hitting with the tail end of a tipper fair so that you can doublejump very soon afterwards, or hitting super deep with the non-sweetspot fair so you're moving far enough forward to somewhat chase away DI.
only one who answered my question.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom