• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top Fifteen Moves in Smash 4

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
With Smash for Switch on the horizon, I think it's time for us to recap the best moves in Smash 4. What are your Top 15 best moves in Smash 4, in terms of usefulness, and how polarizing they can make a matchup be.

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
1: Witch Time
2: Witch Twist
3: Limit
4: The nanner
5: Cloud's Up air
6: Dragon Lunge
7: Bouncing Fish
8: Mewtwo's Foward Air
9: Shadow Ball/Needles (Couldn't choose)
10: Spin Dash

PierceWantsToSmash

Smash Cadet
NNID
PierceSutton
1. Ness's PK Starstorm
2. Wait final smashes aren't included? ...ok then.

1. Bayonetta's up air (hold) _ It's really hard to avoid a move like this, you cant air dodge it and attacking it can be a little tricky especially if your not a sword type character. You can often find yourself stuck in a combo after getting hit by this. Very useful in edge gaurding.
2. Clouds up-air _ This is the only move Cloud uses to win.
3. Clouds nair _ Really big hit boxes
4. Ryu's Shouyukan _If your on 100 damage and you get hit by this, your dead. Can be used as a follow up after up tilt.
5. Witch twist _ I hate this move and so do you.
6. Wall stick _ This great to have especially for recovery, but only works well on certain stages.
7. PK thunder _ It's homing in on you.
8. Wall jump _ great for punishing after you teched an edge.
9. Marth's forward smash _ 60 damage, hit by the end of the blade, your dead.
10. Ryu's up tilt _ You've been stuck in it for eternity.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
1. Witch Time: Changes the entire way Neutral is played. Bayo's trump card.
2. Witch Twist/Needles: Frame-4 OoS option that deals a lot of percent and combos into more Bayonetta stuff. Can also be jump cancelled to be used THREE TIMES. Needles, on the other hand, is a transcendant projectile that combos into Bouncing Fish that also always sends opponents into Tumble. Even though it was heavily nerfed, Needles are still very, very good.
3. Limit Stuff: Buffs Cloud's mobility to a ridiculous degree. Limit Moves are all good kill options. Limit Cross-Slash has no endlag while Limit Up-B gives Cloud a good recovery option.
4. True Shoryuken: Ryu's best move. Combos out of a lot of Ryu's moves and can kill at ludicrously low percents.
5. Bouncing Fish/ The 'Nanner/ Pin: The first is Sheik's best kill option. It has a massive hitbox and invincibility on certain frames making it a Get-out-of-jail-free card. Banana can control neutral like Witch Time but to a slightly lesser extent, and it's a Frame-2 OoS option that is practically instant at close range and leads into anything the Diddy wants. Dragon Lunge, or Pin, as it is better known, is Corrin's best move and a great all-around neutral tool as well as a kill option.
Gap in Power~~~
6. Cloud's Up-Air: Massive hitbox, kills, combos into itself, catches airdodges, high priority, deals a lot of percent. An easily abuse able move.
7. Cloud's Nair/ Back Air: Best Nair in the game. Hits all around Cloud, and has massive range and hitboxes. The other is the best Back Aerial in the game, with fantastic kill power, is safe on shield when properly spaced, and has one of the biggest hitboxes in the game.
8. Mewtwo's Fair/ Diddy's Fair: All-around great aerial. Has high knockback growth and low base knockback with a low FAF. At low percents it combos, and then at 80% it hits like a truck and kills. Diddy's Fair is longer ranged than Marth's sword and covers all ledge options in certain situations. Also SH Fair is a very strong option for either character.
9. Luma: Where to begin... Rosalina wouldn't be top tier without Luma. Luma is crazy. 50HP and respawns after 13 seconds, even after being nerfed every patch, Luma is still an absolute beast. It stops projectiles, can jank kill people at super-low percents off the top. Jab becomes a 30% murder-grinder that Luma can also gimp with, and also Luma has massively disjointed hitboxes. Honestly, if there weren't so many ways to get rid of Luma, or if this were pre-patch, Luma would be 1st.
Gap in Power~~~
10.Spin Dash: Sonic wouldn't be top tier without this. Gives Invincibility and is a good combo starter. Certain tech makes this moves the best mobility option in the game.
11. Quick Attack: Best recovery move if used optimally. Second-best mobility option in the game after Spin Dash due to the massive amount of distance travelled. Only major weakness is that it extends Pikachu's hurtbox.
12. Fox's Up-Tilt/ Up-Air: These two moves create one of the most oppressive advantage states in Smash 4, the Fox Vortex. Up-tilt is an all-purpose move that combos into itself and is Frame 3 while Up-Air deals 16% and juggles opponents. When combined in a variety of ways, these two moves can be combined to create a variety of frametraps and mixups that make the Vortex nigh-unescapable.
13. Mewtwo's Down-tilt/ Diddy's Down-Tilt: One is super-long ranged and combos into a variety of Mewtwo's options, such as his Fair, while Diddy's D-tilt is safe on shield and is a kill confirm at high percents.
14. Flip Jump: Zero Suit can kill at stupidly low percents with this, and it's also the most disjointed move in the game. It also has invincibility like Bouncing Fish. It isn't as good mostly because it has less invincibility and it isn't something that can determine matchups.
15. Shadow Ball/Aura Sphere: Best chargeable projectiles in the game. Shadow Ball is better at low and mid-percents, but Aura Sphere can be used to edgeguard and becomes better at killing with Rage.

Honorable Mentions:
Mostly just a list of scary stuff
- Lucario: Rage+Aura makes Lucario super scary at high percents, and superbuffs all of his moves. Every single move of Lucario's could be on this list if he has 100% rage or more.
-Bombs: Just a great projectile overall.
-Falcon's/Zero Suit's Up-Airs: Solid Moves but not overly broken like Rosa or Cloud's Up-Airs.
-MK Dash Attack: Fantastic move, but it, like many Dash Attacks, has endlag and isn't as scary as any of the moves on the list
-Ike Back-Aerial: Very scary move, but Cloud's is better imo.
-GnW Up-Smash/Dash Attack: Great moves, but not top 15.

I did not include throws, and each move on the list is judged not by the individual move, but by all situations it may be used in and how oppressive the move is in matchups.

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
You main Villager now? Why?
I've played him for the longest time, more than any other character, he's been with me through hard times I've put hundreds of hours into him. I've won so many matchups I hate, like this one match against this amazing Cloud in my local who I won 2-1 against. He's also my best character in terms of skills too, my mental skill set for villager is matched only by my Sonic, which I haven't pulled out in ages, and my Corrin, which is my third most used dude. I have mastered that amazing ledge setup with the tree that Ranai used so much, and I have as well mastered the art of turnip hopping and drop down bair. I have gone through so many mains in my smash 4 "life", Ike, Dedede, Pac Man, Luigi, Rosa, Lucina, Dark/Pit Hell even Bowser JR and ROB, but none of them have stuck or have prevailed as much as Villager has for me, I knew this from the second day of the 3ds demo that I would main Villager, when Mewtwo came out I was considering dropping him but I said to myself, why don't I just play em both? Mewtwo is still my primary main but I can't dare forget the character that started it all for me.

Last edited:

WiFi

Smash Journeyman
Villager was my first Smash 4 main. I've mained more or less most of the cast at some point.

spinalwolf

Smash Apprentice
15: Ridley's Up smash

14: Ridley's down tilt

13: Ridelys Nair

12: Ridley's side special

11: Ridley's fair

10: Ridley's Neutral special

9: Ridleys down special

8: ridleys dair

7: Ridley's up tilit

6: Ridley's Jab

5: Ridley's Bair

4: Ridley's Up special

3: Ridley's Up throw

2: Ridley's Up air

1: Ridley

Iridium

Smash Hero
RIDLEY ISN'T BIG ENOUGH
Yeah! We want a gargantuan space pirate with super armor for every move, the air speed of Yoshi, Bowser's tough guy, Marth's tipper, Cloud's Limit Charge, Shulk's range, and Bayo's Witch Time! His playerbase would be as large as him!

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
Yeah! We want a gargantuan space pirate with super armor for every move, the air speed of Yoshi, Bowser's tough guy, Marth's tipper, Cloud's Limit Charge, Shulk's range, and Bayo's Witch Time! His playerbase would be as large as him!
Mewtwo's Forward Air

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In no particular order:

1. Mario’s up smash
  2. Bananas
  3. One of Cloud’s aerials (they’re all godlike)
  4. Witch Twist
  5. Shoryuken
  6. Dragon Lunge
  7. Dancing Blade/Double-Edge Dance
  8. Sheik’s forward air
  9. Something of Little Mac’s, probably down tilt.
  10. Falcon’s jab or up air
  11. Mewtwo’s forward air or Shadow Ball
  12. One of ZSS’s special moves
  13. Luma in general
  14. Limit Break (so good I had to put Cloud on here twice)
  15. DK/Bowser’s up throw
15: Ridley's Up smash

14: Ridley's down tilt

13: Ridelys Nair

12: Ridley's side special

11: Ridley's fair

10: Ridley's Neutral special

9: Ridleys down special

8: ridleys dair

7: Ridley's up tilit

6: Ridley's Jab

5: Ridley's Bair

4: Ridley's Up special

3: Ridley's Up throw

2: Ridley's Up air

1: Ridley
We might as well close the thread now, there’s no need for any further discussion.

Crosstails20

Smash Journeyman
1. Duck Hunt: Trick Shot
2. Kirby: Inhale
3. Captain Falcon: FALCON PAUNCH!!
4. Bowser: Grab
5. Ganon: Ganoncide
6. Peach: Bomb Omb
7. Jigglypuff: Rest
8. Pit: Arrow
9. Marth: Just the Tip
10. Sonic: Spin Dash
11. Little Mac: KO punch
12. Lucario: Aura
13. Luigi: SHOIRUKIN
14. Roy: Flair Blade
15. Game and Watch: 9999999

biigshaq

Smash Rookie
No particular order:

Sheik's Bouncing Fish
Sheik's F tilt
Cloud's Limit (Or what comes after, most importantly)
Cloud's Up air
Sheik's Needles
Greninja's Water Shurikens
Cloud's D tilt
Captain Falcon's Bair
Captain Falcon's Dair
Lucas' PK Fire
Lucas' Recovery
Lucas' Bair
Lucas' Projectile absorption / Momentum shifter
Mario's Up tilt
Sheik's Fair

That's kinda just a list off the top of my head for good moves. If I were to think a little harder I'd probably find better stuff than that

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
No particular order:

Sheik's Bouncing Fish
Sheik's F tilt
Cloud's Limit (Or what comes after, most importantly)
Cloud's Up air
Sheik's Needles
Greninja's Water Shurikens
Cloud's D tilt
Captain Falcon's Bair
Captain Falcon's Dair
Lucas' PK Fire
Lucas' Recovery
Lucas' Bair
Lucas' Projectile absorption / Momentum shifter
Mario's Up tilt
Sheik's Fair

That's kinda just a list off the top of my head for good moves. If I were to think a little harder I'd probably find better stuff than that
please do think a little harder

D

Deleted member

All of :4ganondorf:/:4falcon:'s moves are number one and you all know that. :troll:

maybe.

Smash Cadet
Witch time is the best move in the game and it isn't even close. Just the threat of it changes entire matches and cancels out potential options for your opponent. It's effective at literally any % because it can help you tack on insane damage or result in a free kill, it can even result in a free kill at literally 0% if you land it close enough to the ledge. It can also be used in basically any situation, including reversing your opponent's combos. On top of all of that it's basically no more punishable than an air dodge and can also proc bat within before or after the move if it's slightly mis-timed. Basically it's a very low risk option that will result in a massive punish whenever it's landed.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Witch time is the best move in the game and it isn't even close. Just the threat of it changes entire matches and cancels out potential options for your opponent. It's effective at literally any % because it can help you tack on insane damage or result in a free kill, it can even result in a free kill at literally 0% if you land it close enough to the ledge. It can also be used in basically any situation, including reversing your opponent's combos. On top of all of that it's basically no more punishable than an air dodge and can also proc bat within before or after the move if it's slightly mis-timed. Basically it's a very low risk option that will result in a massive punish whenever it's landed.
I agree, and I personally think it possibly forces optimized true combos that cannot be triggered, at least at low percent. I prefer to play more safe, and bait Witch Time, because at least the move becomes worse with spamming.

Top Bottom