• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Top 5 Favorite Moves

WwwWario

Smash Ace
It seems that a thread like this hasn't been made, so heck, here goes: What's YOUR top 5 favorite attacks from the whole Smash series?!

This is obviously incredibly hard to decide, but here's my list for the moment, at least:

#5: Volcano Kick. Ganondorf's U-Tilt is an attack I find to be very underrated. It is amazing for edge-guarding. It's very powerful and unpredictable, since there's no real sign of where he's gonna land the kick if you don't know exactly how long the move lasts. And admit it: A heel kick that creates and explosion and drags people towards you - that's badass.

#4: PK Thunder. A ball of lightning that you can control however you want, is decent fast, decent powerful and can set up combos. And hitting yourself, creating PK Thunder 2, is just amazingly satisfying to hit with. It also takes practice to get the hang of it. All in all, a very cool and good attack.

#3: Pocket. Villager's Standard Special, it's kind of like a cooler Reflector (I think, haha!). It's just so satisfying to pocket a projectile, creating fear in my opponent's eyes. Heck, you can pocket ANYTHING, and use it any time you want. Samus' Charge Shot? Pocket it. Mario's Fire Ball? Pocket it. Wario's Bike? Pocket dat thing!

#2: Kirby's Standard Special. The fact that you can get EVERY Standard Special in the game, is just outstanding. Just think about it: You can have Kirby do a Falcon Punch, throw a Metal Blade, breath fire, reflect projectiles, etc.! And of course, he gets their masks. Now THAT'S awesome.

#1: The Knee of Justice. No words needed. The move screams awesomeness. Landing the knee is the most satisfying thing you can do in Smash Brothers. Don't deny it. The knee. It's legendary.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
#5: TL Boomerang: Versatile and damage building projectile.

#4: Ness f-air: Disjoined hit box and overall reliable.

#3: Ness n-air: Very quick, spacing, and approach tool.

#2: Falcon Punch: Need I say anything?

#1: PK Thunder 2: KO's at like 40%.

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
From a "This move is awesome" stance:

5 - Charge Shot (Samus)
4 - Judge 9
3 - Thoron (Thoron + if counting customs)
2 - PK Flash
1 - Falcon Punch

From a "This move is maybe less awesome, but far more useable" stance:

5 - Power Pellet
4 - The Doc Smack (my name for Dr. Mario's fair)
3 - Screw Attack (Apex Screw Attack, if counting customs)
2 - PK Thunder 2
1 - Knee of Justice

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
5. Mach Tornado, excellent approach and kill move option.
4.Dimensional cape, best mind game move in the game right here.
3. Falcon punch, I don't think I need to say why I like it.
2. Rest, Hilarious and powerful move to punish with, or just attack with if your feeling ballsy.
1. Wario Waft, how can anyone not like this move?!

Tenchi Boom

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TenchiBoom
5. All of Robin's smash attacks. I love the sound it makes.
4. Mario's down air and Tornado
3. PK Thunder because it is so fun to control and juggle people with, and also lead to combos
2. PK Flash. Hitting someone with a fully charged PK Flash is one of the most satisfying things ever.
1. PK Thunder 2 (same reason as 2)

SU-PER NESS! SU-PER NESS! SU-PER NESS!

Lazyboy0337

Smash Journeyman
5. Robin's Levin Sword smashes and Marth's tips because of the small pause before launching. Just feels good.
4. The Knee.
3. All suicide moves, especially after taking a stock.
2. (RIP) Wolf's Dair. Comes out quick, good damage, and nasty spike. Feels almost dirty to use, which fits Wolf's character.
1. Judge. Pray to RNGesus.

PurpleBubbles

Smash Rookie
NNID
PurpleBubbles1
5.captain falcon up tilt
4.jigglypuff fair
3.jigglypuff rest
2. Ness dthrow
1.ness fair

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
5. R.O.B.'s Up-Air: A combo move AND a kill move with a huge hitbox that stays out long enough to bait an airdodge? Sign me the hell up.
4. Thoron: What really needs to be said? It's a giant super powerful laser that plows through fighters and has a ton of knockback. Not a lot of characters have that bar FS.
3. Trick Shot: One of the most satisfying moves in the game to land IMO. Definitely Duck Hunt's best projectile; it's the end-all-be-all of edgeguarding. Not to mention, you can shoot it while you're taunting.
2. Super Robo Beam: See #4.
1. Gyro: Easily one of the best moves in the game. The Gyro is simply an indispensable, godlike tool for any R.O.B. player. It can stop ground approach cold, edgeguard opponents, set up for endless amounts of combos, and be charged for even more damage and distance. It's like they always say: big things come in small packages.
Honorable Mentions: S3 (great spacing tool + KO move + super cool looking), Arcfire (PK Fire, but better), Robo Burner (even after air speed nerf, it's one of the best recoveries in the game), Clown Car Dash (INCOMIIIIIIING)

Last edited:

MarioFireRed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MarioFireRed
3DS FC
5026-4457-8398
5. Mario's Fair: It's become a staple of mine from Melee onwards to try spiking opponents with and old-fashioned fist.

4. Little Mac's KO Punch: Just watching your opponent tread with terror/shoot projectiles out of fear is satisfying enough. Actually hitting them with this though is just awesome.

3. Shulk's Bair: Easily the aerial with the most range. Providing ledge-trump Bair gimps is always a satisfying experience. Helps that unlike most Bairs it has a frontal hitbox that sends the opponent forwards (Shulk's body).

2. Any of Marth's tippers: I'm being rewarded for spacing properly AND receiving a different hitconfirm sound effect in the process. It's especially rewarding if I manage to land a tipped FSmash, killing them at much lower % than what I normally need.

1. Shulk's Smash Art Forward Vision: Words need not be said for this move. You bait your opponent well while leaving yourself grounded and send them helplessly flying away setting up for a gimp with Jump or 1-2 taunts if they get KO'd.

Even

Smash Rookie
NNID
iGrapefruit
5. Mario's Cape. I have way more fun with that thing than I should, really

4. Falcon's Uptilt Meteor Smash. What can I say, meteor smahes are awesome, and this one is just a ton of fun to pull off!

3. Reverse Warlock Punch. How can you not love something so destructive?!

2. Judge 9. Bye

1. Luigi's Down Taunt. I don't believe I need to explain why

Vic

Smash Cadet
NNID
victimer3
5. Ganon's Warlock Punch. This move is so hype to land.
4. Flare Blitz. Massive range, massive damage.
3. MM's Air Shooter. Probably my favorite aerial in the game.
2. Triple D's Gordo Throw. Love those cute little ********.
1. Bowser's Side Smash. It's essentially a massive fire-breathing turtle drop-kicking you, what's not to love.

_Magus_

Smash Lord
NNID
DeadlyTaco
3DS FC
1306-7596-5996
So many good moves....
5. Falcon Punch. Of course.
4. Falcon's Nair. One of his best approaching tools and otherwise most versatile moves.
3. Shulk's Nair. So much range. Nearly lagless.
2. Ganondorf's Uair. His best spacing tool in the air, and it also can semi-spike and follow up out of down throw.
1. Ganondorf's SIde B. Not only can you chain it or perform powerful followups out of it, but you can also Ganocide. I love meh Ganocide XD

Spirst

5. Mega Man Utilt. The shoryuken animation + KO power is satisfying to see and land.

4. Jigglypuff's Rest. A huge commitment but landing it almost always makes it feel worth it. Plus, it's Jigglypuff launching people in her sleep. Not sure how that's not funny.

3. Greninja's Hydro Pump. Would've been higher back in 1.0.3 before the windbox nerf when it sent people to the heavens but it's still funny to gimp people with when the opportunity arises.

2. Duck Hunt's Trick Shot Can. The amount of stuff you can do with this one projectile is nuts and when it's out, there's always room for traps. Traps are fun.

1. Charizard's Flare Blitz. I don't believe the recoil is proportional to the move's damage output/knockback (the latter should be a little more) but landing this is incredibly satisfying on a primal "destroy destroy destroy" level. Who doesn't love a raging not-dragon speeding across the stage and blowing things up? Flare Blitzing through something like Bowser's Fire Breath is yes.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I don't know exactly what order I'd put these in but...

Link's Up Smash: Pretty bog standard, but there is something satisfying about this move. You know at high percents that if you hit with this move it's going to KO somebody.
Sonic's Up Smash: The same reason as Link to be honest, but doing a down throw, guessing where they're gonna roll to and running into them into an up smash is such a nice combo if done right.
The knee: Pft, you know why.
Gannon's/Falcon's/Charizard's (etc) down air: There is some power behind these moves, and getting that sweet spike on someone recovering is so satisfying.
Ganon's side B: Choking someone before slamming them into the ground, only to kick them while they're down by doing down tilt is awesome. But grabbing someone off stage and chokeslamming them to their death is even cooler.
Bowser's side smash: That dropkick is so lethal and so cool. cx

I would've included Snake's DACUS, but is that really just one move or two given it combines his dash attack and Up Smash?

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
5. Judge 9 exactly 1 out of 2 players are happy to see this move
4. Upperdash Arm The anti-falcon punch
3. Bowser Bomb I will teach you to like the butt and not lie
2. Treerise Super Armour FTW
1. Treefall cue James Bond Skyfall music

(For those who don't know Treerise is Wii Fit Trainer's up smash, and Treefall is Villager chopping down the tree)

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
5. Fire Jump Punch
4. Falcon Dive
3. Knee
2. Falcon Punch
1. Rest

I like Falcon's moveset a lot (obviously), but I think Rest is still the #1 most satisfying move to land. Just awesome.

Fire Jump Punch gets a spot from back in my childhood days where I mained Luigi and thought I was cool for punishing rolls with it. Still love that move.

Last edited:

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
1. Dr. Mario's tornado. It's satisfying to use and is better than melee's mario and doc's tornado.

2. Dr. Mario's Bair. Mario does this too but it feels more satisfying doing it as doc. Good kill move around over 100%. It's quick and not a smash move. Really helped me out on online matches in the end where I finish them off with this.

3. Mario's meteor smash. You can pretty much spike and kill people in early percentages if you can spike them with this move.

4. Captain Falcon's falcon punch. Do I need to explain?

5. Pac man's fire hydrant. It's a quick move to pull off and gives you space. You can get a nice 2 hit combo from it just by throwing a key at the hydrant and watch your opponent get hit by the key and the hydrant. Not to mention it is a safe use to edge guard.

Last edited:

dangeraider

Smash Rookie
5. Peach's Up B

4. Shulk's Down B Counter - Can really hit hard if you are using the right Monando Art (and if you are Ganon and are on the reciving end you are probably screwed)

3. Jigglypuff's Rest - Hard to land, and if you don't you are probably screwed. But if you do it's so satisying

2. Kirby's Neutral B

1. Ganondorf's Flame Choke - way too much fun to use, and really sastifying when you can chain them together

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
5. Monado Arts (I know this is a character mechanic rather than a move itself but I think it is one of the most versatile moves in the game (such that it constitutes a huge part of Shulk's moveset).
4. Fully charged HAMMER SMASH (Fsmash from Dedede). The sickening THUD the hammer makes as your opponent flies off screen will always be one of my favourites from Brawl (and still one of my favourites now)
3. Knee of Justice. Overall one of the best KO moves in the game. I love how it freezes your opponent for a second to emphasize how strong the attack is. :)
2. Little Mac's KO Punch is one of the best moves to land during parties and casual fights. This is the only move aside from Final smashes where the screen ZOOMS IN on the hit in SLOW MOTION to rub it in the victim's face and really display little mac's power. :)
1. FALLLLCCCCOOOONNNNNN..... PPPPPAAAAWWWWNNNCCCHHHH!!!!!
Every time the last two moves on this list hit, everybody starts shouting loudly/cheering/laughing. :)

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
5. Rest - Do I even have to say why? She ****ing blows you up by going to sleep!
4. Charge Shot / Spark Shock - A projectile forward smash and a smash that comes out almost instantly? Will take.
3. Ike's / Rosalina's neutral air - It pretty much turns you into a hitbox. Ike's is especially useful cause of how fast it is.
2. Luigi Cyclone - It kills, helps you recover, somewhat spikes, moves quickly, comboes, and assimilates anything it touches. What doesn't it do? It probably solves world hunger, too.
1. Slash Claw / Flame Sword - These moves together are disgusting. They combo like no tommorow, and are absurdly fast. Slash Claw even kills! Early!
Honorable Mentions: Doc Punch, Doc Jump, Luigi's down throw, Cape, FLUDD, Ike's forward air, Rosalina's everything, Fireballs/Megavitamins. Am I missing anything?

Zylach

Smash Ace
NNID
Orienlithel
3DS FC
1934-1731-9287
5. Samus' fully charged beam. Best when used on an opponent recovering to the stage, not realizing that Samus is a ranged character and that she doesn't have to chase off-stage to annihilate people.
4. Zelda's Lightning Kicks. She racks up damage with little multihit moves like jab, fsmash, and nair. Then BOOM! Love the new sound effects for it too.
3. Zelda's Farore's Wind Elevator. What floor sir? Let me answer that for you. Heaven.
2. Ike's fully charged Eruption. The ultimate king of edge-guards. What's more badass than plunging a sword into the ground and creating an explosion of blue flames because of it?
1. Tied for first: Ganon's Reverse Warlock Punch/Luigi's Meteor Smash Taunt. Both should come as a complete surprise to the receiving party. Both are the most ridiculous way of getting kills besides suicide kill moves.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
1. PSI Thunder / PSI Thunder 2 - Hitting people with it is just so satisfying, and normal PSI Thunder is great for mind games.

2. Baseball Bat (Ness' F-Smash) - Reflecting and killing enemies with this is always amazing.

3. Luigi Cyclone - Fun to use, especially when you land it after a D-Throw.

4. The Knee (Captain Falcon's F-Air) - Manliness in a nutshell.

5. Jump Slash (Link's Dash Attack) - Looks epic and is satisfying to land.

Last edited:

pershona

Smash Journeyman
5. Marth's tippered F-Smash, one of the best kill moves and a great reward for spacing.
4. Sheik's F-air. Usually a great kill move or a great combo tool. I like both.
3. Fox's shine in Melee. Covers a lot of of options and has a lot ATs to help it.
2. Falcon/Warlock Punch. I dont think this one even needs explaining.
1. Rest. Extremely hard to hit, but when you do its the best feeling ever.

JingleJangleJamil

Banned via Warnings
5. Megaman's Shoryuken
4. Tie between Ganon's warlock punch, up-tilt, and sparta kick
3. Knee of Justice
2. Marth's tipper f-smash
1. FALCON PUNCH

Top Bottom