• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Links worst Matchups

PyroJet

Smash Apprentice
If you don't think Olimar is tough for TL, then you haven't fought a good one yet.

blazingIKE33

Smash Cadet
1. a good olimar
2. wolf
3. another toon link or link

1. a good olimar will usually be pretty tricky to fight ( due to the pikmin. )

2. wolf is fast and very hard to hit

3. another toon link would also be hard to fight because they have the same moves

Mios

Smash Rookie
Yea Wolf definitely. Even Pit seems difficult for me. Any character that has a good projectile reflector will be tough to beat.

Young_Link808

Smash Apprentice
someone explain really good how olimar is bad for toon link? and yes what about his pikmin?

i know the space animals give trouble

NintendoTogepi

Smash Apprentice
Definitely Olimar. He's a nightmare against Toon Link.

Also, Zelda is pretty strong against Toon Link as well.

lain

Smash Master
A good Olimar (i.e. One who can space well, very knowledgeable of what works) can give a t.link (a character with not as much effective range as Olimar) a hard time.

The Pit matchup I'd say is in T.Link's matchup. You can jump out far to gimp his Up+B, arrows aren't that bad (jumping works awesomely), your better projectiles keep him moving, you're more fluid and maneuverable.

QUIVO

Smash Master
In order:
Metaknight - Fast, hard to spam projectiles against.

Snake - I usually end up having to camp, but the main thing is that this guy can kill Toon Link pretty easily and it's hard to kill him.

Wolf - His fsmash has good range, and lasers can be annoying if used correctly. His shine also seems to be good. Also a pretty fast opponent.

Falco - I've only played one that could beat me consistently, but usually a Falco can be tough. Chainthrows to spike adds good pressure, laser pressure, dthrow to nair, dthrow to dash attack canceled into usmash, etc.

This is my updated list. I've learned that Olimar isn't so bad, and that these guys are actually tougher. Wario and ROB can also be tough.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
I keep on hearing Wolf is hard, but have yet to play anyone IRL who has a better Wolf than me. My Wolf is pretty **** scary, and he is my alternate....

Anyway, Luigi is VERY annoying. He is quicker than Toon Link and has priority over a lot of his moves. Dedede gives my Toon Link trouble too. Waddle Dees and D3's abilty to grab me in mid air (plus chain grabbing) is obnoxious as hell.

The only character I have seen DESTROY Toon, is Olimar. R.O.B. is good against TL but Olimar...oh God....those Pikmin....Its hard to tell what move Olimar is doing. Plus, they act as "shields" (similar to Waddle Dees) so its hard to hit him. He has a lot of priority to boot too and is powerful. However, when I switch to Wolf, I can wipe the floor with Olimar, with ease.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I just got back from Critical Hit - I went 5-2 in double elimination. Both of the people to kick me out played metaknights. Forte, and Kirbstir (both very solid players.)

Azen played Pit, he won it all.

Right now, it's fairly clear that Pit/Metaknight are the most played characters. Metaknight is really a great character. I'd say Metaknight is a hard matchup for T. Link, because Metaknight has insane off edge potential; killing metaknight is so hard. Edgegaurding him is almost impossible. On the other hand, avoiding edgegaurds from metaknight is hard because it seems like he has almost an infinite recovery. Then, he has priority and speed, just like you do. Acompany that with a sickening run speed...and you have a hard match up.

Pit is in a similar situation.

EmperorCesar

Smash Apprentice
I just got back from Critical Hit - I went 5-2 in double elimination. Both of the people to kick me out played metaknights. Forte, and Kirbstir (both very solid players.)

Azen played Pit, he won it all.

Right now, it's fairly clear that Pit/Metaknight are the most played characters. Metaknight is really a great character. I'd say Metaknight is a hard matchup for T. Link, because Metaknight has insane off edge potential; killing metaknight is so hard. Edgegaurding him is almost impossible. On the other hand, avoiding edgegaurds from metaknight is hard because it seems like he has almost an infinite recovery. Then, he has priority and speed, just like you do. Acompany that with a sickening run speed...and you have a hard match up.

Pit is in a similar situation.
Videos plz

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to really get into competitive play, but on TL I can't take out CPU 9s for Olimar, Ike, Zelda/Shiek and pretty much anyone else.
I haven't gotten in practice against MK, Pit or some of the more random characters- Diddy or Wario.
My main tactic is to abuse whatever advantage I have over them, such as Ike I abuse my speed and range while minimizing combat, which he accels at.
I also use my boomerang to punish dodgers, sometimes throwing it in the air to have it come back and smack them allowing a free dsmash.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
In this order:
A) Olimar - oos grab
B) Wolf - Fsmash need I say more?
C) Zelda - AoE attacks

*~* D3 should be no problem if you use tilts to chop away at him, that seems to be one of my easiest matches.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Anyway, Luigi is VERY annoying. He is quicker than Toon Link and has priority over a lot of his moves. Dedede gives my Toon Link trouble too. Waddle Dees and D3's abilty to grab me in mid air (plus chain grabbing) is obnoxious as hell.

The only character I have seen DESTROY Toon, is Olimar. R.O.B. is good against TL but Olimar...oh God....those Pikmin....Its hard to tell what move Olimar is doing. Plus, they act as "shields" (similar to Waddle Dees) so its hard to hit him. He has a lot of priority to boot too and is powerful. However, when I switch to Wolf, I can wipe the floor with Olimar, with ease.
Yes and yes. I had never really considered Luigi a problem until I fought his Lv. 9 CPU, and it's a beast. It's practically impossible to get on top of them to Bair/Nair, because the smashes come out so fast. For Olimar, it's difficult to even know what he's doing, much less counter it. And good luck hitting with projectiles, as those Pikmin not only block everything, but can be respawned in like three frames.

Here's my character match-up in term of most difficult.

• Olimar - He's got Pikmin out the ***, and will throw them at you. Fire Pikmin have WAY too much knockback to be believed, and his smashes are unpredictable. The best way I know to counter him is to get him in the air, where his attacks have much less priority and he can't spam Pikmin.
  • Wolf - Jesus Christ, and we thought Toon Link was a spammer. If you can get close to Wolf through his laser barrage, you will get Fsmashed. He also has decent priority in the air, which is not cool. Stand still though and his lasers will hit your shield. You'll also be able to shoot an arrow and get your shield back up before the laser comes, though I'm not sure about a Wolf using his Reflector.
  • Meta Knight - Combine a longer sword and better priority than Toon Link, as well as awesome aerial combos, and you have a force to be reckoned with. Beat out his sword with your projectiles, because even with his multiple jumps, his horizontal movement is balls.
  • Luigi - Has fast smashes and decent aerials. Why a head takes priority over a sword, I'll never know. Same with Metaknight though, kill with projectiles. A nice Fsmash can be delivered as well, which has a longer reach than Luigi's jab thing.

That's how I see it anyway.

EDIT: I just faced a real Wolf, complete with laser spamming, and his blaster is actually faster than your arrow. However, if you let them think they're camping you, they'll just push you back until the laser phizzles, in which case just charge an arrow (yay mindgames). Also, your air game is sufficient to keep him at bay, and a nice boomerang never hurts, and is difficult to reflect due to the fact that they don't know where it's going.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I noticed Wolf is tough too. I was on GB and played a noob wolf today and he did well... : /

Btw, you can spotdodge out of dedede's chainthrow if you time it right. A spotdodge to dsmash is awesome.

bobwaffles

Smash Apprentice
April Fools makes this topic hilarious.

Toon Link = Toon Link
Wo lf = Wolf
Pi t = Pit
Olima r = Olimar

Sarijy

Smash Apprentice
I was about to say...
I've never had problems with Ike.
Olimar is a little bit difficult, but still beatable.
I hate Zelda's smashes, being as sometimes they hit more often then not. Zelda's Forward+B has massive effect, and unless you move towards Zelda, you're nailed with it.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Wolf is not a big problem with you know what he does. His Fsmash, which he uses a lot, regardless of the player, has down time. Spot-Dodge > Down Smash ***** it.
PS: You can stand still and physically shield his projectiles, you don't even need to Shield, his Hero Shield does it for you.

You people are missing the big one, Marth. TL is fine against Ike's rangebecause he's slow, but Marth is pretty much a long-reach version of TL. Counterpick to TL!

rhan

Smash Hero
Wow...The whole time I was looking, I dont think I saw anyone say Ike....

Well I have a bit of a rough time with Ike. Ike is the light-killer. Everytime I get around an Ike while I'm around 70% I shudder...

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
Ikes one of the simplest characters for TL to beat unless he's Aether spamming; how can you say that he's rough?

rhan

Smash Hero
Well my friend plays a pretty mean Ike and he uses his forward B alot to keep moving and he swings that sword like a beast. It's hard to just keep hm off me. I use projectiles but those only work for so long. And yes Ather spam is a factor, but that I run away then come up for a grab.

melito

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Melito37
it only depends on how good the opponent is. cuz i have no problem with wolf . i use to have against olimar but not anymore. and for now im having problems with a good ike and ivasur

Z. Hoot

Smash Cadet
what about Mario? My TL's projectiles are subject to Mario's cape-**** almost every time I play a decent Mario.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
TL faces the same problems against a Mario as he does against Wolf or Fox. However, the cape is much easier to counter than the rEflector, because it does not stay up indefinitely. I'd say spam bombs and go in for an approach, or throw the boomerang at odd angles.

Top Bottom