• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's shield.

Serge+

Smash Rookie
Have you guys ever tough on how to use Toon Link's shield?

you have to press r or l are u dumb or wat lol
Obviously, not shield as in "press R/L". I'm refering to the buckler he always holds forth when standing still or crouching. This is something VERY situational, but the shield can prove to be an interesting mindgame, because:
  • Nobody stands still in neutral
  • Nobody really uses the shield
  • Nobody really aknowledges the shield's existence.
With these three mental bullets floating around, how do you abuse it?
In certain way, it works as a mindgame because nobody expects the shield to be used in any way. And even then, it's not guaranteed to work 100% of the time. Link's rang flies just above the shield and hits you in the head. Most Mario players do aerial fireballs, which give enough angle to bounce right into your face (or right underneath your shield). Falco's sh laser might seem interesing, because they are usually conditioned to shoot as low to the ground as posible, but they can just catch up and fire earlier and hit you in the face. Same with Lucas pk freeze.

So far, the shield seems unreliable, so what's the use?
Actually, It does have it's uses. By standing still, you can take a fully charged Samus Charged Shot, and same with crouching. You can also shield Ness' PK Flash even if it lands behind you (lol). If they mis-space their aerial pk fire, you have the upper hand, as well as grounded pk fire, it's impossible to ignite Toon Link with grounded pk fire. Mewtwo's shadow ball is more dare than anything else, since the ball oscillates up and down, and it goes high enough just to blast your face off, but it has more chance to hit the shield than your face. Against Lucario however, you can stand still against his Aura Sphere, and the Spirit Ball thing. You cannot crouch-shield under aura sphere, but you can crouch and make waste of that Spirit Ball like a champ. Most of Lucas' pk freeze very close to the ground too. You can also bounce off thrown projectiles like banana peels (Diddy Kong), Turnips (Peach), and grenades (Snake, but they will still blow up in your face, so don't try that unless you plan to re-capture it). You also cancel out Sheik's needle game. Also, since most of Toon Link's projectiles are thrown at the height of the shield, you can reflect bomb; shield arrows and the 'rang! Toon link dittos confirmed for 90:10

"Nice, but, like, why would I care"
The shield protects you against projectiles, and pretty much works like a Parry, or a powershield, without the reflection. But since you are standing still, you have more freedom out of kokiri shield (?) than out of regular shield, so you can reposition, attack back with a moving aerial, and if they are really that close to you, down tilt, or grab. It all really depends on how laggy the move is at the end. It's not something to go, unless you are absolutely sure the shield mindgame might work and you have your opponent "sorted out".

It's not meant to be taken as a serious option,
but any option that can give you the upper hand in any situation, no matter how unlikely, is a good option. Now you know guys, step up that standing still meta.
Feel free to discuss / point out any other projectiles that might make use of the shield.

Last edited:

DethM

Smash Apprentice
It's a pretty good mixup. Always catches my Falco off-gaurd when I have to change my SHL rhythm.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
you can also block projectiles with it while walking

unfortunately links shield is far more reliable than tinks. but its true at least that certain MUs and projectiles can allow for reliable uses of it.

Serge+

Smash Rookie
you can also block projectiles with it while walking

unfortunately links shield is far more reliable than tinks. but its true at least that certain MUs and projectiles can allow for reliable uses of it.
I don't think you can block projectiles while walking, not even slowly. Idk if I tested it wrong, or I broke the game with skins and couldn't really test that.

Top Bottom