• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's New Moveset Discussion- Week #7- UpSmash

Pho

Smash Journeyman
It's good for shield pressure, and has a decent amount of stun on it. Most inexperienced players will block both hits, and everyone else will either UpB, Uair, or Nair to counter (at least MK can counter will all of those).

The shockwave is pretty effective, and yields random results. I know if you miss a Dair on an Ike while he's doing his Side-B, he'll just fly off the stage and be helpless. Things like this happen randomly, but I think it should be used more often. Too bad a failed attempt is severly punishable.

Anyways, Dair is probably one of TL's sexiest moves, and is a good GTFO move when we're getting owned.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
Only use it if you can guarantee a hit. It's a good move in that situation, but if you just throw out that hitbox you WILL get punished. Pretty badly too.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
^This. I mostly use dair after a bair on a shield or at low percents if I land a nair and it trips. It is a rewarding move as it does 23 damage (possibly more because it can lead to bair/uair) but the risk and lag just usually scream NOOOO!!! dont use it!!!111 to me lmao. Anyway, has anyone found the 0 lag dair to be of any use?

Fox Is Openly Deceptive

Smash Detective
Administrator
BRoomer
Do you mean by fast falling the pogo at the right time?
I use it all the time and it owns on lower percents. You Hit them with both hits of dair then instantly use U-tilt and follow that up with bairs and stuff. It's a bit hard to exlain though if you don't know what I'm talking about, so if you wanna know anything, I've already written about it extensively in my guide.

But yeah, it's like a combo starter. I'm a big fan of it.

Edit: @TWiNK: I've been looking into it and I completely agree. This shockwave thing has high potential but can be badly punished which is seriously holding it back. That's why I think it would be better used in teams when you can work something out and have a guaranteed hit every time. It can also come out really fast by simply standing on the platform dropping through then Instantly Hit dair, like you don't even need to jump.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Nope I dont mean the pogo...I mean the returning boomerang cancelled down air...is it known? are there any practical uses for it? etc.

TLMSheikant

Smash Master
Lol yeah I havent seen anyone talk about it. But Ive done it on accidents a few times when bair to dairing an opponent's shield and he spotdodges i miss and the rang comes to save me :). Situational but its saved my butt from getting Chain grabbed by DDD when doing risky stuffz XD.

Alzi

Smash Master
It's actually sort of easy to dair a metaknight's up b when he see's you hanging on the edge and goes to use it to gimp you, you simply jump at the right time and dair and it will hit him. It's basically him missing on trying to gimp you and returning himself into your spike. Hard to pull off at times so i guess it works best in friendlies.

MJG

Smash Hero
It's actually sort of easy to dair a metaknight's up b when he see's you hanging on the edge and goes to use it to gimp you, you simply jump at the right time and dair and it will hit him. It's basically him missing on trying to gimp you and returning himself into your spike. Hard to pull off at times so i guess it works best in friendlies.
I thought all moves traded hits with MKs Shuttle Loop and that the move only has a partial effect on MK? I remember looking at the video with Ninjalink vs M2K about a year ago and one of the commentators were saying that if diddy kong was able to pull off Dair on MK during the Shuttle Loop animation that they would both go straight down out of the boundary ( i still dont see how that could be).

Anyways...do you mean during the start of his shuttle loop or after he has missed with the attack? Like you said..i probably would only do this in friendlies for now because im still not sure on what you meant and it would be risky in a tournament.

Maybe a vid? :)

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
I thought all moves traded hits with MKs Shuttle Loop and that the move only has a partial effect on MK? I remember looking at the video with Ninjalink vs M2K about a year ago and one of the commentators were saying that if diddy kong was able to pull off Dair on MK during the Shuttle Loop animation that they would both go straight down out of the boundary ( i still dont see how that could be).

Anyways...do you mean during the start of his shuttle loop or after he has missed with the attack? Like you said..i probably would only do this in friendlies for now because im still not sure on what you meant and it would be risky in a tournament.

Maybe a vid? :)
Look up at NinjaLink's Toon Link video on Youtube. At the very end of the video Toon Link's Dair spiked Mk out of his shuttle loop. I tell ya. His Dair is too good! :)

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
Well it's usually fresh since like dtl said, it's not really used in the middle of stocks.
OMG I'm so late for this but I'll say it anyways. I used it in the middle of stocks. And I only use it in the middle of stocks after I spotdodge when my opponent uses a laggy move. I once spotdodged both Link and a Toon Link's first hit of the Fsmash and Utilted them BEFORE they could have done the second hit. Utilt is too good.

<3

Gwobo

Smash Rookie
Running Up-Smash is actually really good, I agree with DTL.

MJG

Smash Hero
I do that as well..Usually jab>Grab since the jab pops them up if it lands

I also try to execute:
Jab>Nair
Jab>Jab> Up B
Jab>Down smash (i RARELY do this)

I also use jab sometimes when my opponents are on the ledge.
Its pretty good against Lucas players especially when they use tether to recover back on stage instead of using the wave bounce or whatever it is called when the C stick is set to specials

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
I Don't use Jab all that much, probably should. Maybe once every stock.

When I do use Jab, I use all three. Is it more beneficial to cancel after the 1st or 2nd jab?

Lobos

Smash Master
Are you kidding I love to jab people.....jab to grab....jab to smash....jab people that try to recover and make them unable to grab the ledge lol this works very well vs snake

I'm also trying to find a way to jab faster since my A button is beginning to wear out so I start with A and finish with Z.....good job Lobos ^.^

I Don't use Jab all that much, probably should. Maybe once every stock.

When I do use Jab, I use all three. Is it more beneficial to cancel after the 1st or 2nd jab?
The second, but I still prefer using all three. If you land the last one, it gives you a little bit of knockback, which can give you space to do something else. Cancelling the jabs is kind of risky for me since I usually have to stand still 20 minutes to use something else, which means it's a free hit for the other guy.

UncleSam

Smash Master
The second, but I still prefer using all three. If you land the last one, it gives you a little bit of knockback, which can give you space to do something else. Cancelling the jabs is kind of risky for me since I usually have to stand still 20 minutes to use something else, which means it's a free hit for the other guy.
you know you can crouch cancel right?
also I believe you can grab somebody out of the third jab at low%
kinda risky tho

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I like jabbing if I screw up Zair, or if the opponent is too close to me.
:|

Heavy Metal KiLLeR

Smash Cadet
I like the full jab, but I prefer using only the first hit... it comes too fast, and haven't too much cool down lag also, you can cancel it, and link it with a lot of things, surprising an oponent that expect at last the two hits that come first. Canceling to another jab is good to gimp some characters.

If you use the 1º and the 2º hit, maybe the oponent will SDI out the jab combo (that's not easy but...) or a jab cancel.

And it can be good at mindgames, cuz it is a too fast atack.

copacetic

Smash Journeyman
unless it's a hyphen smash, you can usually replace it with u-tilt and get pretty much the same result with less worry about getting punished and no weaker hitbox.

zair-> usmash works ok on some characters

Agreed. Up-Smash is only good as a follow up to Z-air. Not to say that it's bad standing still though, because it isn't, all though Utilt can usually take the job. Depends on what attack is stale at the time for me. They are both really powerful, but at times, Up-Smash can be predictable.

MJG

Smash Hero
I try to keep up my spam game when going for the kill because the opponent will expect the up smash to come towards the way as soon as they are in kill percentages

I also like to create projectile traps to force them to move to an area and run up and Up Smash them (they are different ways of setting them up. Get creative.)

grandra

Smash Rookie
not really a useful at for upsmash, but, if you drop a bomb on the stage, go behind it, and attempt doing a dacus tl will pick up the bomb and do the upsmash with it in hand

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
It's much better just to do an BC-upsmash like this.

NeoTLkid

Smash Cadet
i like to use U-smash after an incibomb, and if they try to roll dodge behind me (I prefer utilt)

Top Bottom