• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link's Alternate Costume?

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I don't think it's hinting at Young Link if Toon Link can use the Fire Arrows considering he could already use it in Wind Waker (Unlike Young Link in Ocarina of Time actually).

Btw where did you hear/see that though?
That zipzo thread

Yeah it could possibly indicate nothing but the way I see it...
If every character gets 8 alt costumes and toon link only has six right now, that cold suggest a couple were left out or are unlockable.
Fire Arrow, Dr. Mario returning, it could all be adding up.

RockTheCasbah

Smash Rookie
Apparently he does have eight. Zipzo apparently described the remaining two colors on stream but it froze up while he was doing it and I didn't hear. Someone in the chat said something about it being a refrence to ALttP so I don't know if he has pink hair, or his alt tunics are a reference to the Red and Blue mails.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
well guess we got the confirmation of the entirety of Toon Link's colour swap set.

A little bummed we didn't get the Outset or Conductors outfit but I guess we did get his green Tunic from A Link Between Worlds/to the Past.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
well guess we got the confirmation of the entirety of Toon Link's colour swap set.

A little bummed we didn't get the Outset or Conductors outfit but I guess we did get his green Tunic from A Link Between Worlds/to the Past.
They're cool but oh well, maybe next time.

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479

What's the periwinkle/green sleeves one? I'm going nuts trying to figure out what it is, because I know it reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on just what that something is.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
What's the periwinkle/green sleeves one? I'm going nuts trying to figure out what it is, because I know it reminds me of something, but I can't put my finger on just what that something is.
Yeah it looks pretty familiar to me too. At first I thought it was based off the blue tunic from A Link to the Past or Between Worlds but that doesn't seem to be the case.... :/

Would be nice to know from where it was inspired from (if it actually was)

Jaden

Smash Apprentice
NNID
jadenthemerle
3DS FC
2664-2123-0479
Yeah it looks pretty familiar to me too. At first I thought it was based off the blue tunic from A Link to the Past or Between Worlds but that doesn't seem to be the case.... :/

Would be nice to know from where it was inspired from (if it actually was)
Well, the closest thing I've found so far is the red mail from LttP. It's got the sleeves, and that same periwinkle hat. The torso is red, but other than that they look pretty similar.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Even though Toon Link didn't get an Outset Island or train conducter outfit, I'm still pretty satisfied with his alts. I think it's because I really appreciate his classic tunics that he has. We have an NES styled Toon Link, and now we have a Link to the Past/Between Worlds styled Toon Link. I think it's nice that they seem to be covering more of the Zelda franchise as a whole in representation this way. Even though it would have been cool to have different alts from Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks, I'm not disappointed in what we got. The way I see it, the more that Toon Link represents of the Zelda franchise (such as the cel shaded art style, four swords, and classic games), the more likely he is to return in future Smash titles to continue representing the series.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Even though Toon Link didn't get an Outset Island or train conducter outfit, I'm still pretty satisfied with his alts. I think it's because I really appreciate his classic tunics that he has. We have an NES styled Toon Link, and now we have a Link to the Past/Between Worlds styled Toon Link. I think it's nice that they seem to be covering more of the Zelda franchise as a whole in representation this way. Even though it would have been cool to have different alts from Wind Waker or Spirit Tracks, I'm not disappointed in what we got. The way I see it, the more that Toon Link represents of the Zelda franchise (such as the cel shaded art style, four swords, and classic games), the more likely he is to return in future Smash titles to continue representing the series.
Yeah Toon Link does seem to be representing the earlier era of Zelda more than Link kinda does imo. Not to mention how Sakurai remarked that having a child Link was very important and he seems to be stressing that out more now from the looks of things. Not to mention wasn't Toon Link initially meant to be a more modernized interpretation of the original NES Link? I think he's doing a pretty well job at that.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Yeah Toon Link does seem to be representing the earlier era of Zelda more than Link kinda does imo.
More than that, he seems to represent the 2D games (despite being the one from Wind Waker), while Link is the 3D representative.

While T Link have the famous four swords alt, LoZ sprite, Dark Toon Link (FS Adventures), the Red Mail (?) and Retro Link, Adult Link get Skyward Sword and Majora's alts, as well as Dark Link, famous in Ocarina of Time. Despite being in Zelda 2.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
More than that, he seems to represent the 2D games (despite being the one from Wind Waker), while Link is the 3D representative.

While T Link have the famous four swords alt, LoZ sprite, Dark Toon Link (FS Adventures), the Red Mail (?) and Retro Link, Adult Link get Skyward Sword and Majora's alts, as well as Dark Link, famous in Ocarina of Time. Despite being in Zelda 2.
And Toon Link also gets a Dark alt, possibly to represent Zelda II!

Has anyone figured out what color number seven is supposed to be yet? It kinda reminds me of the blue mail from A Link to the Past/Between Worlds, but that has yellow sleeves. I wonder if it's supposed to be reminiscent of the Blue Ring colors from the first game? Either way, I like it, and will either use it or the ALttP/BW color.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
And Toon Link also gets a Dark alt, possibly to represent Zelda II!

Has anyone figured out what color number seven is supposed to be yet? It kinda reminds me of the blue mail from A Link to the Past/Between Worlds, but that has yellow sleeves. I wonder if it's supposed to be reminiscent of the Blue Ring colors from the first game? Either way, I like it, and will either use it or the ALttP/BW color.
As I mentionned, Dark Toon Link is more... Well, Dark Toon Link (Four Swords), while Dark Link is more OoT. Zelda 2 is referenced in the events, as Link is totally black.

I start to wonder if the seventh Toon Link is not an original alt, after all. Probably based on the Red mail hat and sleeves, but...
Also, "Blue Ring Link" retains brown sleeves, but it does have that pale tone. It's weird that the Artwork is almost white, while it's more lavender in game.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
As I mentionned, Dark Toon Link is more... Well, Dark Toon Link (Four Swords), while Dark Link is more OoT. Zelda 2 is referenced in the events, as Link is totally black.

I start to wonder if the seventh Toon Link is not an original alt, after all. Probably based on the Red mail hat and sleeves, but...
Also, "Blue Ring Link" retains brown sleeves, but it does have that pale tone. It's weird that the Artwork is almost white, while it's more lavender in game.
To be perfectly fair, Shadow Link from Four Swords doesn't have red eyes either in-game or in artwork, so this costume in Brawl was technically inaccurate. :p However, the Shadow Links in ALBW have red eyes, and possibly the one from Spirit Tracks. Either way, I don't think there was ever one with white hair? Not that I mind, because it looks cool.

I forgot that the original Red Mail had a blue hat. I guess it's probably just a mixture of the Red and Blue Mails from ALttP, or maybe it is just made up.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
To be perfectly fair, Shadow Link from Four Swords doesn't have red eyes either in-game or in artwork, so this costume in Brawl was technically inaccurate. :p However, the Shadow Links in ALBW have red eyes, and possibly the one from Spirit Tracks. Either way, I don't think there was ever one with white hair? Not that I mind, because it looks cool.

I forgot that the original Red Mail had a blue hat. I guess it's probably just a mixture of the Red and Blue Mails from ALttP, or maybe it is just made up.
Dang, forgot that. Thanks for the correction.

Guess it's just Toonified Dark Link from TP :troll:

Seventh Toon Link is still a mystery. A damn looking good mystery.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Seventh Toon Link is still a mystery. A damn looking good mystery.
Fully agreed. I really do like that costume. I've always liked Link in blue almost as much as his default green, which is part of why I like the Outset clothes so much. It's also why I like his design for Zelda Wii U!

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Fully agreed. I really do like that costume. I've always liked Link in blue almost as much as his default green, which is part of why I like the Outset clothes so much. It's also why I like his design for Zelda Wii U!
Don't start me on that handsome, awesome WiiU Link.

If I play Toon Link (I feel better with Adult Link, by the way), I guess that I would play Blue, "Mystery Link" and Retro Link (8th).

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I realised that the 7th one is same as my Toon Link avis save for the hat. :awesome: I'm going to use that one now.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
I realised that the 7th one is same as my Toon Link avis save for the hat. :awesome: I'm going to use that one now.
Sakurai based it off you!
Okay but was that old avatar of yours based off something in particular? I remember liking it.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hmm, I hope the Wii U version gets a little extra content, wouldn't mind seeing a minish cap alt for Toon Link.

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Part of me wishes Young Link was an option as well. Seems like he'd have the same reach and height, just the taunt with the windwaker would be odd, and the title of his character select would need to change and by then things are getting too complicated.

But I dream.
I wish there was a Young Link alt also. =/

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Their proportions are way too different. Young Link would look so weird with a Toon Link-sized head and stubby legs.
If Alph can be a different skin for Olimar and if Lucina was going to be a skin for Marth, Young Link can be a skin as well.

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
If Alph can be a different skin for Olimar and if Lucina was going to be a skin for Marth, Young Link can be a skin as well.
Lucina is literally designed to look like Marth, and Alph and Olimar have the same proportions. Toon Link and Young Link are completely differently proportioned, with different weapon sizes, different leg and arm lengths and head sizes, and probably even body sizes, not to mention that their art styles are one hundred percent different. You're basically saying Toon Link could be an alt for standard Link.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

These two really don't work as alts at all. As Hero_42 said, they have vastly different size and proportions especially at their legs, their sword's sizes are different too. At least Alph's proportions are much closer to Olimar's than Toon and Young Link do. Young Link also won't fit as an alt for the other Link either. If he where to ever be brought back, he'd have to be his own character again.

Oniric Spriter

Smash Ace
Well, technically Toon Link is a young Link :p
But yeah, I don't want that to happen, look at Olimar, he only has 4 pallette swaps now and Toon Link's situation wouldn't be any different.

Last edited:

lRasha

Smash Apprentice
Lucina is literally designed to look like Marth, and Alph and Olimar have the same proportions. Toon Link and Young Link are completely differently proportioned, with different weapon sizes, different leg and arm lengths and head sizes, and probably even body sizes, not to mention that their art styles are one hundred percent different. You're basically saying Toon Link could be an alt for standard Link.
Ok. I think I understand. They'd need more similarity to their size and proportions to be alts for each. Would it not work for Nintendo to design Young Link with Toon Link's moves and still be his own height and proportions (with updated graphics of course)? Did they have similar moves or no? I haven't played Melee in a long while. Also, thanks for the way you responded. When someone disagrees, some people can be aggressive with their responses.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Well, technically Toon Link is a young Link :p
But yeah, I don't want that to happen, look at Olimar, he only has 4 pallette swaps now and Toon Link's situation wouldn't be any different.
Yeah true. Toon Link is more or less a more modernized version of Young Link. Much like the other Twilight Princess esque cast are a more modernized update from their Ocarina of Time incarnations in Melee. It's interesting though how people hardly ask for an alt of the rest of the Ocarina of Time cast though. Because unlike Young Link, they'd actually work quite well as alts. But like you said, they'd kinda be limiting the alternate colours for the other much like what happened with Olimar and Alph. (Unless they do like what they did with Little Mac)

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Ok. I think I understand. They'd need more similarity to their size and proportions to be alts for each. Would it not work for Nintendo to design Young Link with Toon Link's moves and still be his own height and proportions (with updated graphics of course)? Did they have similar moves or no? I haven't played Melee in a long while. Also, thanks for the way you responded. When someone disagrees, some people can be aggressive with their responses.
Toon Link is more or less Young Link's spiritual successor, so they do have quite similar moves. Theoretically there's no real reason they couldn't bring Young Link back in that manner, but because his hitboxes would change a fair bit, he would have to occupy another slot on the roster. That would of course be ridiculous, because then we would have three Links on the roster, and all two of them would be basically the same.

Yeah true. Toon Link is more or less a more modernized version of Young Link. Much like the other Twilight Princess esque cast are a more modernized update from their Ocarina of Time incarnations in Melee. It's interesting though how people hardly ask for an alt of the rest of the Ocarina of Time cast though. Because unlike Young Link, they'd actually work quite well as alts. But like you said, they'd kinda be limiting the alternate colours for the other much like what happened with Olimar and Alph. (Unless they do like what they did with Little Mac)
I want Ocarina of Time alts for all the Twilight Princess characters, because I much prefer their OoT looks. Unfortunately it'll probably never happen!

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
The model is right there... we couldn't have SOMETHING new about toon link? .-.

Top Bottom