• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Neutral Air

NNID
Rektnator
I personally think Toon Link's Neutral Air should have remained the same as Brawl version. It's more useful in my perspective. Anyone else thinks the same?

Last edited:

Fortress

Smash Master
It's a toss-up, for sure. The Marth-like N-air was pretty cool, but I think with Toon Link's aerial speed, his weight, falling speed, 'floatiness', etc. that a sex kick just better suits him. If he had attributes similar to Link and could jump closer and faster to the ground then I could see it, but his current stats have a sex kick giving him a better benefit, in my opinion.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
the problem I have with his Nair honestly is i just never use it, if i want to send an enemy any one particular way i'd rather use Fair or bair, and bair you can hit them with several times. I dunno, i've just never felt myself needing to use it over his other moves, be it combo or approach or spacing.

NNID
Rektnator
the problem I have with his Nair honestly is i just never use it, if i want to send an enemy any one particular way i'd rather use Fair or bair, and bair you can hit them with several times. I dunno, i've just never felt myself needing to use it over his other moves, be it combo or approach or spacing.
I see... Though, I think it's useful for Toon Link's combo game!

NNID
Rektnator
It's a toss-up, for sure. The Marth-like N-air was pretty cool, but I think with Toon Link's aerial speed, his weight, falling speed, 'floatiness', etc. that a sex kick just better suits him. If he had attributes similar to Link and could jump closer and faster to the ground then I could see it, but his current stats have a sex kick giving him a better benefit, in my opinion.
I see... I think both moves are equally useful, but Brawl's Neutral A was different from Link's, which it was one of Toon Link's move developed to separate both of their move-set.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I see... Though, I think it's useful for Toon Link's combo game!
the thing is though, i feel his other attacks serve him just as well in that department and have better reach and more versatility, Fair knocks them forward, and if you catch them with the backswing, it hits backwards, same as if you hit with the front or back of Nair, His bair? combos into itself a few times and Dair. I just feel it's not very useful as is. i'm not really complaining, i do hate it when characters have useless moves, it limits them and their potential, i'd prefer if characters had moves that at least had some use, melee vets included (fox falco Fairs and shiek's side B to name a few]

NNID
Rektnator
the thing is though, i feel his other attacks serve him just as well in that department and have better reach and more versatility, Fair knocks them forward, and if you catch them with the backswing, it hits backwards, same as if you hit with the front or back of Nair, His bair? combos into itself a few times and Dair. I just feel it's not very useful as is. i'm not really complaining, i do hate it when characters have useless moves, it limits them and their potential, i'd prefer if characters had moves that at least had some use, melee vets included (fox falco Fairs and shiek's side B to name a few]
Exactly! Fox and Falco's F-Air are useless as well as Sheik's Forward B!

Last edited:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Exactly! Fox and Falco's F-Air are useless as well as Sheik's Forward B!
oh everyone knows they're useless. trust me, everything else they have makes up for it though. it bugs me from a design perspective that they have anything useless at all, any other characters, top tier included, it's one less move that hinders them from further potential.

_slydz

Smash Rookie
Tink's nair definitely has its uses, and I personally think it's a great addition to his moveset. The hitboxes appear on frame 4, making it one of his quickest moves. It also gives him an extended hitbox that's viable in neutral game. You might want to try using it out of shield, as shield pressure, or if you need to trade aerials with your opponent. Also, less experienced players don't realize how sex kicks work and that you can hit someone for as long as his leg is out (if that's a little confusing, you can look up frame data for Toon Link), so you can take advantage of that. You can also look at videos of pro Tink mains and see how they use nair, or just use nair in situations where you normally don't know what to do.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Tink's nair definitely has its uses, and I personally think it's a great addition to his moveset. The hitboxes appear on frame 4, making it one of his quickest moves. It also gives him an extended hitbox that's viable in neutral game. You might want to try using it out of shield, as shield pressure, or if you need to trade aerials with your opponent. Also, less experienced players don't realize how sex kicks work and that you can hit someone for as long as his leg is out (if that's a little confusing, you can look up frame data for Toon Link), so you can take advantage of that. You can also look at videos of pro Tink mains and see how they use nair, or just use nair in situations where you normally don't know what to do.
I suppose i know it's uses, i just haven't been in situations where i've really needed it. but yeah it does seem like an "oh sh*t get off me move"

Cohenski

Smash Rookie
You can shuffle a bunch of nairs in a row on some of the bigger cast members like bowser and dedede. Also weak hit nairs right before it ends can be useful for edge guarding because it allows you to go very deep as you can jump right afterwards. And yeah. It's a great oos option too.

JRad

Smash Apprentice
If you play Young Link in Melee you will know how destructive his Nair is. I actually use Toon Links Nair the most because of its versatility and mobility but ledgeguarding with falling Nair is definitely my favorite. If you aren't sure which way your bomb or boomerang is going to send them, you can always nair to cover all the options. Nair OoS is also pretty solid. Nair just covers so many options basically

Last edited:

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to go on record saying that after the longest time... i sucked it up, and i learned how to use it. now i love it.
I was formerly, and probably on some levels still am a scrub.
allow me to elaborate though, simply, Tink's nair is his fastest aerial. that's important because, Bair only faces one direction and Fair still does have decent start up. it's an easy combo starter and extender and an easy follow up to the hit with the rang. it hits them far away and the recovery is short enough to use it to safely gaurd offstage with.

Chesstiger2612

Smash Lord
What problems do you all have with Toon Link's nair?
I get that designwise it is not in the sense of decloning, but the move is just much better than his nair and helps him in all kins of situations.
Edgeguarding (ledgedrop->jump->nair), combo breaking, OoS option, lasting hitbox to cover space over a bigger amount of time, etc. etc.
If there was an animation change for the sake of decloning, OK, but Toon Link honestly needs that move.

Top Bottom