• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Match Up

ividal

Smash Cadet
I've faced many opponets during my time playing in for glory or against friend with my good ol buddy yoshi, during this time ive noted that my worst MU, has got to be :4tlink:, someone that knows how to use him will clearly have an amazing stage control with their bombs and bomerang and all out good mobility, i was wondering if anyone has any tips against him, as well as counter picks since i have no idea where i would get an advantage.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I've faced many opponets during my time playing in for glory or against friend with my good ol buddy yoshi, during this time ive noted that my worst MU, has got to be :4tlink:, someone that knows how to use him will clearly have an amazing stage control with their bombs and bomerang and all out good mobility, i was wondering if anyone has any tips against him, as well as counter picks since i have no idea where i would get an advantage.
Funnily enough I just fought a Japanese Toon Link for several matches. It felt like an even matchup for both sides but this is what I did.

When :4tlink: used arrows or boomerangs I just used eggs to clash with them. He didn't particularly use many bombs so I can't comment on that. Another interesting note is that Toon Link's USmash trumps both NAir and DownB so if you're above him just move to a ledge. Remember to approach with NAirs if he starts charging the arrows or boomerangs as an alternate approach method. Side B is useless in this matchup so avoid using it. I also feel that Yoshi's grab is very strong in this MU, run up and shield one of Toon Link's attacks and immediately grab (also don't be afraid to predict rolls from the Toon Link). Always try to go for those DThrows and Uthrows to get an opening for a UAir. And considering :4tlink:'s best option up close is Jab, use your Jab as it comes out quicker iirc. Also UTilt won't be of much use in this MU due to Toon Link's constant DAir threat so try ti avoid using it in this MU.

Last edited:

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
The most important thing is to be patient at this Match Up.

It's not very different than it was in Brawl, but we win now because we can jump out of shield, our air mobility is better and his bair was nerfed.

At neutral, don't rush at him without thinking, powershield his projectiles and them bait an approach or try to punish his endlag due to arrow/boomerang. ETs here are VERY useful too.

When you're close him, your best bets are jabs, Dtilts and Utilts. He kind of lacks options in this situation so you're with the advantage here.

As for counterpicks, I believe Town & City, Lylat Cruise and Battlefield are decent options.

Last edited:
Top Bottom