• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link is hard to play?

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
TL's recovery is actually very good. If your opponent is dodging your projectiles and still has enough time to gimp you properly, and your opponent isnt m2k, then you are doing something wrong.
His recovery has some perks, sure, but once you're forced to use your up-b, you can be gimped incredibly easily by someone with horizontal range. Ever fight a good Marth?

null55

Smash Master
I love Toon Link, but I didn't find him super easy to use. I feel like I sort of lose control of myself a bit if I don't focus well enough. He definitely requires focus...

Anyway, I've got big respect to people who play well with Toon Link.

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
You can be so creative with Toon Link. Every move he makes, no matter how big nor how small, has a LOT of different follow ups. Arial to Quick Draw, Bomb to Quick Draw, Arial to Arial, Boomerang to Arial, Z-Air to Bomb pull.

It's like an art form. It's very difficult, always remembering to keep space with Bombs, Boomerangs, and Arrows, and then surprising them with one of Toon Link's very physically demanding combos, like the Bair string.

Creating these moves and combos correctly already is very difficult and requires much much much practice. Factor in Toon Link's disadvantages against other characters, focusing on defensive spacing, and knowing when to approach, and when to flee... it's all a very demanding process.

Now try to do this all well. Consistently from match to match against characters better than Toon Link, and players better than yourself. We can't just dash, short hop, FAIR / DAIR / NAIR, then Tornado a bit, rinse and repeat, like Meta Knight. We can't just spam Usmash like Olimar. We can't easily create WoP's like the Space Animals, or DK, and others...

No wonder the kid isn't winning many tournaments. He's one of - if not - the hardest character to master. I personally think he is the most fun, even though he can be frustrating at times.

Any way, he has got a lot of potential. We're all working hard to find a technique to break him. Once that happens, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

AkaMaruChan

Smash Cadet
> Yuki

Oh I see okay now that makes sense...

Yeah Tink makes ya feel good inside when you win...like you worked really hard for a victory....I like that.

Eclipse_the_Sun

Smash Rookie
why so many 08'ers in this thread? not to be rude ir anything lol.
Yeah, TL is easy to play casually, but if you want to go to a higher level, well, look at tournament results. Toon Link is really hard to use at higher level play and no one has been able to use him to his full potential yet.

AND THERE'S NO COMBOS IN BRAWL!!!
IF there are no combos then what do you call zero suit samus's down smash chain and her down smash> down smash> aerial/up smash/just about anything

AkaMaruChan

Smash Cadet
Not everything is guaranteed with the exception of Ice Climbers infinite -.- and maybe DDDs endless wall grab. But you can practically DI out of many of the so called combos. A lot of people know about Tink's bair combo....if you're playing someone who's decent, you might get hit three times at the most.

NxC

Smash Apprentice
Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Up-B.

It's that hard. I used to be a Tlinker, but that was when the game came out and no one was particularly good.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->Up-B.

It's that hard. I used to be a Tlinker, but that was when the game came out and no one was particularly good.
Im sure

arrow>arrow>arrow>arrow>arrow>arrow>arrow>arrow

Thats pretty hard, you Pit mainers have it so hard :(.

l SOUP l

Smash Apprentice
You've never played a good Pit then.

This is going to be countered with "You've never played a good Tlink"
You took the words right out of my mouth, don't leave comments like that if you already know what they are going to lead to.

Rubiiez

Smash Rookie
Who does bair strings to an upB anyways? o_O It's not really possible to pull off so many bairs unless your opponent doesn't know simple things like "DI" and "airdodge." And doing an upB after a bair is just like screaming "zomg punish me nao!!!" once you enter special lag...the upB isn't even guaranteed to land.

Toon Link isn't hard to pick up; thing is, TL mains have to work harder to secure the win because there are characters that are just better than TL. =/

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
I don't even use the **** bair combo. >_>

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
You can be so creative with Toon Link. Every move he makes, no matter how big nor how small, has a LOT of different follow ups. Arial to Quick Draw, Bomb to Quick Draw, Arial to Arial, Boomerang to Arial, Z-Air to Bomb pull.

It's like an art form. It's very difficult, always remembering to keep space with Bombs, Boomerangs, and Arrows, and then surprising them with one of Toon Link's very physically demanding combos, like the Bair string.

Creating these moves and combos correctly already is very difficult and requires much much much practice. Factor in Toon Link's disadvantages against other characters, focusing on defensive spacing, and knowing when to approach, and when to flee... it's all a very demanding process.

Now try to do this all well. Consistently from match to match against characters better than Toon Link, and players better than yourself. We can't just dash, short hop, FAIR / DAIR / NAIR, then Tornado a bit, rinse and repeat, like Meta Knight. We can't just spam Usmash like Olimar. We can't easily create WoP's like the Space Animals, or DK, and others...

No wonder the kid isn't winning many tournaments. He's one of - if not - the hardest character to master. I personally think he is the most fun, even though he can be frustrating at times.

Any way, he has got a lot of potential. We're all working hard to find a technique to break him. Once that happens, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Excellent post. Couldnt've said it better myself. The only thing I don't agree on is finding a technique to break him. For TL, a person will have to do that. Sorta how Chu pretty much made ICs a character.

Btw, Teh Umby, Code Geass fan?

GI Josh

Smash Journeyman
yes, he is a bit difficult with him because his bad matchups are REALLY bad for him, and unfortunatley most of his bad matchups are played a lot in tournies

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
^^ SEE? 08ers can still be awesome. Check out this guy's location. He's a bad***.
brawl > melee.

:p If for no other reason than wifi. I never got to play anyone good in Melee, since the few locals I knew sucked. I've essentially been playing solely level 9 computers since n64, yet I'm still far above average when it comes to player vs. player.

On topic...Toon Link is awesome! w00t

I agree he's hard to ko with. Most of my ko's with tlink probably come from Fair.

The most satisfying way to ko in the game, in my opinion, is offstage with Toon Link's Down air. Because as you know, you miss, you die. That's what makes it fun : )
It's even more satisfying than Falcon's Knee of Justice!

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
brawl > melee.

:p If for no other reason than wifi. I never got to play anyone good in Melee, since the few locals I knew sucked. I've essentially been playing solely level 9 computers since n64, yet I'm still far above average when it comes to player vs. player.

On topic...Toon Link is awesome! w00t

I agree he's hard to ko with. Most of my ko's with tlink probably come from Fair.

The most satisfying way to ko in the game, in my opinion, is offstage with Toon Link's Down air. Because as you know, you miss, you die. That's what makes it fun : )
It's even more satisfying than Falcon's Knee of Justice!
I lol'd. Yeah, Toon Link is awesome, despite the lack of people who play him. The best part about the dair is that you can actually legitimately combo into it. Well, if a 2 hit chain counts as a combo, lol.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Nothing in this game feels as good as "ken" comboing with TL. =P

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Nothing in this game feels as good as "ken" comboing with TL. =P
Dairing a full Wario waft feels better trust me. >_>
Theyre like upppppppppp -> DOWN

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
Yeah lol. I've watched your vids, you're a master at Wario gimping.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Toon Link naturally was easy for me.

I always used Link on N64 and in Melee i was Young Link.
So all good.
I agree it would be hard to use him effectivly if you havent used Links/Young Link much b4

Top Bottom