• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link General Information Discussion Thread

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Youre not the only one when Toon link was anounced for SSBB I flipped out and i knew he was gonna be ma main and he is :) if he is removed i will be med like really MAD :mad: and I will do whatevar it takes to get him in!

THANK YOU! FINALLY someone noticed the most important evidence! I read this whole stupid thread listening to half concocted arguments about dopplgangers not being in the same game and which zeldas are most current. I noticed two important things myself and nobody noticed or responded to your post. You mentioned the biggest evidence, tho this still aint conclusive. I liked someone else idea that alfonso conducts when TL is playing. However most likely hes NPC. or perhaps TL wasnt finished but they wanted to show the stage for the trailer TL had would have to seem NPC without conclusively being NPC. this brings me to the second most important peice of evidence (actually arguing for a bigger possibility that he IS in the game, or at least why his presence isnt deconfirming); every clip or pic we see of the ST level we only see 3 fighters and conductor link. Which still leaves the door wide open for the possibility of his return.....but that outline thing is still very discouraging
Do I have an arguement that was tought of step by step so it makes sense?Hrmm That Toon Link is St TL so PHG TL and WW TL can still make it in and smash bros isnt even close to a canon series meaning that it being possible or not/causing time paradoxes is out of the question so it is possible+the fans(us that want TL to stay)wanting him to stay plus being a requring carcter is enought to make him come back

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Meh, the fact that Twilight Princess Link is in the same place as Spirit Tracks Link is a time paradox in its own, the very fact that they are both from two completely different Time Lines! I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have Wind Waker Link along with Spirit Tracks Link then. :upsidedown:

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
And something i dint add(that makes me feel like a moron but: DOH!)The outline is quite disincurigin so just beacause him being in the stage with out an outline but still one arguement used alot to say that TL is cut is beacause of him being a clone and there being a trend and that it would cause paradoxes plus it having to be canon witch that misspose up there was my arguement

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Toon link04, can you please start again and say what you want to say a bit more clearly.... Because I'm not really following you... :/

Oh and welcome to Smashboards.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
tl does not need to return. he was a clone character and sakurai wants to practically eliminate clone characters.
Then good bye Luigi....oh wait he is in!So see?He still has a clone and will probobably make more

Toon link04, can you please start again and say what you want to say a bit more clearly.... Because I'm not really following you... :/

Oh and welcome to Smashboards.
Ok let me try it again people have alot of stupid arguemnts against why Toon link should be cut some of the most used being "He is a clone" to that i say he can use more weapons from his games since he is a recuring Zelda protagonist and the other popular one is "He will be removed due to there being a trend" and to that i say that Sakurai never said that there was a trend and so people say the new "young link/toon link will be ALBW link beacause he is recent" and toon link will have been more recent due to WW HD coming after ALBW(unless I got realese dates wrong)meaning that Toon link will be more recent again and so when using reasoning you take make counter arguements and it isnt that hard ohh and Thank you :)

:039:
Meh, the fact that Twilight Princess Link is in the same place as Spirit Tracks Link is a time paradox in its own, the very fact that they are both from two completely different Time Lines! I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have Wind Waker Link along with Spirit Tracks Link then. :upsidedown:
See alot of people still use that when its been dead ever since it was used as an arguemnt so..TOON LINK ALL THE WAY!:toonlink: :p

And also kiwi we were saying that the fact tha counductor link dosent have an out line also sorta hinted that he might be cut but his revelance is quite big due to WW HD

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Man, ToonLink04, don't quadruple post. There is an Edit button at the bottom of your post, so use that please.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Then good bye Luigi....oh wait he is in!So see?He still has a clone and will probobably make more
While Luigi isn't really a clone of Mario anymore if at all, he does still share a few similar moves with him, most specifically his mid air kick. The ironic part is that Sakurai most specifically highlighted it in one of the screenshots.

Besides Sakurai never said that he is going to get rid of clones or anything along those lines anyway, it's just one of those fan made-up assumptions getting so big that they start to believe it's official. And if he did I would like to see a source for it. And besides, it's not like he can't just try and differentiate characters like Toon Link even further. :rolleyes:

Ok let me try it again people have alot of stupid arguemnts against why Toon link should be cut some of the most used being "He is a clone" to that i say he can use more weapons from his games since he is a recuring Zelda protagonist and the other popular one is "He will be removed due to there being a trend" and to that i say that Sakurai never said that there was a trend and so people say the new "young link/toon link will be ALBW link beacause he is recent" and toon link will have been more recent due to WW HD coming after ALBW(unless I got realese dates wrong)meaning that Toon link will be more recent again and so when using reasoning you take make counter arguements and it isnt that hard ohh and Thank you :)
Oh, those arguments, yeah their pretty weak. The worst thing that could happen to Toon Link with his clone status is just being a low priority character again like he was in Brawl. Sakurai stated how a child Link is important to him and Toon Link was one of Japan's most wanted characters for Brawl. I doubt Sakurai would want to replace him with ALBW Link. I also love how people always like to play the "recentness" card on him despite that he got an upcoming HD remake as well. Sakurai really has no reason to replace him, especially since he's a fan favourite over at Japan. Besides they didn't bother to replace Twilight Princess Link with Skyward Sword Link due to "Muh Recency" and "Muh Patterns" then why would they with Toon Link?

And your welcome.
See alot of people still use that when its been dead ever since it was used as an arguemnt so..TOON LINK ALL THE WAY!:toonlink::p

And also kiwi we were saying that the fact tha counductor link dosent have an out line also sorta hinted that he might be cut but his revelance is quite big due to WW HD
It's been dead since Melee. Heck Sakurai has included the Link's in all sorts of ways throughout the Smash series. We have Link and Young Link, two people (unlike Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link) who actually are the same people fighting each other in the same game. Besides Sakurai acknowledges that all the Link's are different incarnations from each other (Despite what the Toon Link detractors would want you to believe) since Sakurai admitted that Toon Link and Link were different people in Toon Link's Brawl dojo update and not to mention Snake's codec where Snake and Mei Ling discussed the many different incarnations that have adventured throughout the Zelda series.

Honestly, the fact that Spirit Tracks Link sports the conductors outfit, has a slightly different overall appearance and the fact they stuck with Twilight Princess Link instead of redesigning him again to the Skyward Sword model could very well hint that Toon Link could still have a shot at coming back.

Plus I have yet to hear a very good reason why Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link and Spirit Tracks Link can't simply coexist, their not even the same people after all. I mean we had this with characters like R.O.B. and Donkey Kong before, not to mention franchises like Mario Kart does this kind of stuff all the time. I honestly don't get why it's such a huge issue with Smash Bros. :/

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Man, ToonLink04, don't quadruple post. There is an Edit button at the bottom of your post, so use that please.
Lol sorry its just that I use my ipad and so the touching isnt that responsive 20% of the time plus that was most than likely my horribel internet conection right there since I actually waited like a minute once i read all the post of this page so it might just be internet

While Luigi isn't really a clone of Mario anymore if at all, he does still share a few similar moves with him, most specifically his mid air kick. The ironic part is that Sakurai most specifically highlighted it in one of the screenshots.

Besides Sakurai never said that he is going to get rid of clones or anything along those lines anyway, it's just one of those fan made-up assumptions getting so big that they start to believe it's official. And if he did I would like to see a source for it. And besides, it's not like he can't just try and differentiate characters like Toon Link even further. :rolleyes:

Oh, those arguments, yeah their pretty weak. The worst thing that could happen to Toon Link with his clone status is just being a low priority character again like he was in Brawl. Sakurai stated how a child Link is important to him and Toon Link was one of Japan's most wanted characters for Brawl. I doubt Sakurai would want to replace him with ALBW Link. I also love how people always like to play the "recentness" card on him despite that he got an upcoming HD remake as well. Sakurai really has no reason to replace him, especially since he's a fan favourite over at Japan. Besides they didn't bother to replace Twilight Princess Link with Skyward Sword Link due to "Muh Recency" and "Muh Patterns" then why would they with Toon Link?

And your welcome.

It's been dead since Melee. Heck Sakurai has included the Link's in all sorts of ways throughout the Smash series. We have Link and Young Link, two people (unlike Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks Link) who actually are the same people fighting each other in the same game. Besides Sakurai acknowledges that all the Link's are different incarnations from each other (Despite what the Toon Link detractors would want you to believe) since Sakurai admitted that Toon Link and Link were different people in Toon Link's Brawl dojo update and not to mention Snake's codec where Snake and Mei Ling discussed the many different incarnations that have adventured throughout the Zelda series.

Honestly, the fact that Spirit Tracks Link sports the conductors outfit, has a slightly different overall appearance and the fact they stuck with Twilight Princess Link instead of redesigning him again to the Skyward Sword model could very well hint that Toon Link could still have a shot at coming back.

Plus I have yet to hear a very good reason why Wind Waker/Phantom Hourglass Link and Spirit Tracks Link can't simply coexist, their not even the same people after all. I mean we had this with characters like R.O.B. and Donkey Kong before, not to mention franchises like Mario Kart does this kind of stuff all the time. I honestly don't get why it's such a huge issue with Smash Bros. :/
Yeah see they just want to make stupid arguements and make up stuff just so people go on their side and want toon link cut but those who actually have this wonderful thing called "Knowledge"(SARCASAM :) ) and countering these complains from people like this just makes me feel horrible that im destroying dem weak reasons >.< (sarcasam is over) but yeah some people belive that TL and normal Link(from brawl) are the same person same goes for PHG/WW TL and ST TL and somethign ive thought of when i saw that YL was in melee and that is OOT Link must have such childhood trauma being pickied on but hey Nintendo logic

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Yeah see they just want to make stupid arguements and make up stuff just so people go on their side and want toon link cut but those who actually have this wonderful thing called "Knowledge"(SARCASAM :) ) and countering these complains from people like this just makes me feel horrible that im destroying dem weak reasons >.< (sarcasam is over) but yeah some people belive that TL and normal Link(from brawl) are the same person same goes for PHG/WW TL and ST TL and somethign ive thought of when i saw that YL was in melee and that is OOT Link must have such childhood trauma being pickied on but hey Nintendo logic

I'd assume most of Toon Link's detractors are either just clone nazi's, dislike the character or just hate the idea of two Link's in general and thus try to cling on to these arguments as if they 100% confirm Toon Link of being cut. But I won't deny that there are also some uninformed people who probably never played the Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks and thus think that both Link's are the same by just looking at their designs and draw their conclusion from that. And you also have those who don't believe you can have certain characters who have doppelgangers fulfill two different roles at the same time. Like I said, series like Mario Kart have already done this many times before, most notable are characters like Shy Guy, Wiggler and Lakitu. Even Smash has already done this before with the likes of R.O.B. and Donkey Kong (And even Captain Falcon I suppose if you believe that he is driving the Blue Falcon in the F-Zero stages) like I said. And I guess you have some who just aren't sure.

Although I won't deny that there is in fact a chance that Toon Link might not make it. He could indeed be replaced by another child Link or time may get the best of him if he is a last minute addition again.

At this point all we can do is wait and see what will happen.

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
I'd assume most of Toon Link's detractors are either just clone nazi's, dislike the character or just hate the idea of two Link's in general and thus try to cling on to these arguments as if they 100% confirm Toon Link of being cut. But I won't deny that there are also some uninformed people who probably never played the Wind Waker and Spirit Tracks and thus think that both Link's are the same by just looking at their designs and draw their conclusion from that. And you also have those who don't believe you can have certain characters who have doppelgangers be both a playable character and fulfill a different role at the same time. Like I said, series like Mario Kart have already done this many times before, most notable are characters like Shy Guy, Wiggler and Lakitu. Even Smash has already done this before with the likes of R.O.B. and Donkey Kong (And even Captain Falcon I suppose if you believe that he is driving the Blue Falcon in the F-Zero stages) like I said. And I guess you have some who just aren't sure.

Although I won't deny that there is in fact a chance that Toon Link might not make it. He could indeed be replaced by another child Link or time may get the best of him if he is a last minute addition again.

At this point all we can do is wait and see what will happen.
Well I wish he dosent since he was a highly recuested character along with Sonic and so replacing him would be wierd and there is no other "Child link" to fit the role since ALBW Link is that same one difference is a color sceme and if you look at concept art he is exactly the aame size as TP Link the one that is being used for SSB4 and was use for Brawl meaning it wouldnt make sense and they call him a clone just cuz he is an incarnation of link and Nintendo could have made him different from normal Link by giving him weapons from his 7 games and also I cant be the only one who thinks that the handheld Toon Link series should continue and that is a possibility due to WW getting an HD make over but the chances of that are only around 20% that itll happen

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I don't really believe he's going to get replaced either since like I said, he's a fan favourite of Japan and they really like him. He was one of their most wanted characters and I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't want to disappoint them by replacing their favourite link with a different one just because of "recency" or "patterns". It's probably why he didn't replace Twilight Princess Link with Skyward Sword Link either since he's also a fan favourite.

But still, we should still hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, just to make sure we won't end up disappointed. All I'm hoping for is that 2014 is just about enough time for Sakurai to finish off all the characters he has planned and that Toon Link is among them. Even though I already decided that I want to main Villager, I'd rather not have another Mewtwo happen... :/

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
I don't really believe he's going to get replaced either since like I said, he's a fan favourite of Japan and they really like him. He was one of their most wanted characters and I'm sure Sakurai wouldn't want to disappoint them by replacing their favourite link with a different one just because of "recency" or "patterns". It's probably why he didn't replace Twilight Princess Link with Skyward Sword Link either since he's also a fan favourite.

But still, we should still hope for the best but be prepared for the worst, just to make sure we won't end up disappointed. All I'm hoping for is that 2014 is just about enough time for Sakurai to finish off all the characters he has planned and that Toon Link is among them. Even though I already decided that I want to main Villager, I'd rather not have another Mewtwo happen... :/
Your right im prepering for the worst and waiting for the best(being toon link in SSB4)and as you said he wont get replaced anytime soon and nor will sonic since he is also a fan favorite and was extremely requested third party chararcter and as for me ill try and main alot of characters some of the being:Villiger,Megaman,Bowser,Luigi and others among them and if Toon link is in you bet ill keep getting better with him and for the HD ill have since I have no wii U ;( hopefully ill be able to get one along with SSB4,WW HD,Pikmin 3,Sonic lost world and Super Mario 3d World

D

Deleted member

If I am to speak, the designs of the characters seem to be rather inconsistent when it comes to relevancy; you have those like Link, Fox, and Villager who are using designs from previous games (Twilight Princess, Command, and City Folk/Wild World respectively) rather than their most recent ones (Skyward Sword, 64 3D, and New Leaf); then you have characters like Samus and Olimar who are updated to their designs from their most recent games (Other M and Pikmin 3 respectively). However, you can say it goes into the non-relevant argument's favour concerning Samus and Olimar; Other M had been out before they started developing or early during development of the game, same with Pikmin 3 (helped by the fact that Pikmin 3 was planned for the Wii), so I doubt Sakurai's just going with what's 'relevant' right now (including Dixie Kong, ALBW Link, Toad, ect)

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If I am to speak, the designs of the characters seem to be rather inconsistent when it comes to relevancy; you have those like Link, Fox, and Villager who are using designs from previous games (Twilight Princess, Command, and City Folk/Wild World respectively) rather than their most recent ones (Skyward Sword, 64 3D, and New Leaf); then you have characters like Samus and Olimar who are updated to their designs from their most recent games (Other M and Pikmin 3 respectively). However, you can say it goes into the non-relevant argument's favour concerning Samus and Olimar; Other M had been out before they started developing or early during development of the game, same with Pikmin 3 (helped by the fact that Pikmin 3 was planned for the Wii), so I doubt Sakurai's just going with what's 'relevant' right now (including Dixie Kong, ALBW Link, Toad, ect)
Well all we have to go with for now in terms of Zelda characters is Link and if he basically shows us that Sakurai at least for the Zelda cast decides to stick with their Brawl designs instead of updating them to whatever more recent design there is. If that's the case than I'd say that Toon Link would have the bigger shot instead of ALBW Link of making it in again. Not to mention that he does also have Wind Waker HD by his side as well which many "recentness" people seem to love to ignore.... :/

But yeah whatever series gets updated to whatever is more recent seems to vary from franchise I guess...

Toon link04

Smash Cadet
Yeah thats been a thing like lets take young link from melee as an example he had the OOT desing(since you know deku shield)when the most recent game for him was MM and so its always been like that its not like its new or anything like that.Sakurai has been like that he usally uses most relevant characters but their desings are usally from a less recent game maybe to give tribute or it might just be that its the most popular desing and on a side note that has completely nothing to do with this and that is im happy to be back :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Look what I found.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks stage means Toon Link was removed, they said. :chuckle:
Guess who was confirmed today?

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
Yep. I figured as much that he may return. Toon Link was one of my mains back on Brawl.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Having fought tooth and nail for Toon Link, this is the best reward I could get.

Thank you, Mr. Sakurai.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
Found this very surprising. To me Toon Link seemed like the most likely removal from brawl...

I don't like the idea of two links...but I'm glad it's Toon Link if there has to be two links. Wind Waker is my favourite.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Whoo! :grin:

Nice to see Toon Link back in action. Now some of my worries have ceased. :laugh:

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Toon Link expressions make me feels so happy for him as a playable character. Look at these eyes...these smyle... the face of charisma

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I hope he keeps most of his Brawl color palette he had one of my favorite set of swaps of the characters.

asia_catdog_blue

Smash Ace
So, we finally have the Butt Monkey of the Links confirmed. He better have a moveset tweak in the final product!

I want my Elemental Arrows, dammit!

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I know the phrase "uncanny valley" is gonna be thrown around a lot in the coming weeks. I think he looks great on WiiU but I think he looks more at home on the 3DS. Must be the outline.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
First reaction: :awesome:
Starting to look at pictures, seeing how he looks: :grin:
Noticing that his moveset so far looks the exact same: :scared:

Ah well, we'll see. I'm super psyched that he's in, this is by far the best veteran reveal yet!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Toon Link's early reveal makes me beleive that we have a newcomer in the Zelda series,like Luigi's reveal.
I don't think so. They can still stretch the reveal of LoZ characters far out with Ganondorf and Sheik, the difference with the Mario series is that all of its veterans has already been revealed.

I know the phrase "uncanny valley" is gonna be thrown around a lot in the coming weeks. I think he looks great on WiiU but I think he looks more at home on the 3DS. Must be the outline.
In both versions he looks so much more at home in this game than he did in the semi-realistic looking Brawl. This game's artstyle really makes Toon Link look so much better.

Protom

Smash Lord
NNID
Toonfearow
3DS FC
1521-4412-3019
MOST UNEXPECTED VET REVEAL SO FAR. Olimar Luigi and Peach I knew would get revealed, though not when I expected them to. Toon Link however, who I had doubts about, and two characters in a row, DANG SAKURAI.

Arteen

Smash Lord
Neato.

It's a but of a shame that he still appears to be a clone. I'd love to see him glide around on a deku leaf.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I pretty much had a feeling that ever since The Wind Waker HD was in development that Toon Link might be coming back. Today pretty much proved my point.

Top Bottom