• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Bomb Invincibility Tech

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
I was messing around with toon link in training and found something interesting.

When you throw a bomb at another player and it connects, the explosion does not hurt link. This leads to a lot of options that he didn't have in the previous game.

Jump canceled bomb toss into things like utilt, usmash, fsmash, fair are all now possible. I think this technique completely changes this character and adds a lot to his potential. I have a link posted below of me showing off this "tech" (if you'd call it that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGF4zF6DHJg&list=UUqPqbNdFU8z87h2NTPmzq5A

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh yeah I think I've read something about that at the Tips section in the Demo version. I think you can do this with Link too. (Although I haven't tried yet)

Edit: Just tried it with Link, yeah it works with him too.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
It's certainly intriguing that their bombs no longer hurt them, although that does take from the prospect of bomb jumping to recover. Can anyone with the full game tell me whether their bombs and boomerang still collide? I can't remember if they did in vBrawl anymore, and I always loved that about Melee, even if it wasn't particularly useful.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
It's certainly intriguing that their bombs no longer hurt them, although that does take from the prospect of bomb jumping to recover.
Don't worry, Bomb Jumping is still possible (the Brawl way though). The bombs only don't hurt them whenever they throw it at their opponent in close range. (At least this is the case with Link but it should also apply with Toon Link I'd assume).

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Don't worry, Bomb Jumping is still possible (only if it self destructs on him though). The bombs only don't hurt them whenever they throw it at their opponent in close range. (At least this is the case with Link but it should also apply with Toon Link I'd assume)
Ah, they hurt you in your hand but not if they collide with an enemy? What if you throw them at the ground?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Ah, they hurt you in your hand but not if they collide with an enemy? What if you throw them at the ground?
Yeah, they hurt you too. I think they only don't hurt you if they collide with an enemy. Otherwise they work more or less like they usually do.

Last edited:

AnOkayDM

Smash Champion
NNID
EvanescentHero
Yeah, they hurt you too. I think they only don't hurt you if they collide with an enemy. Otherwise they work more or less like they usually do.
Interesting. Good to see arguably his most useful tool get a straight buff then!

Metal B

Smash Journeyman
Question: Can Toon Link also drop a bomb without them exploding like Link? If you press ZAir with Link, while holding a bomb, he will simply drop it and it will not explode on hitting the ground. (You can even drop a bomb without triggering his hook-shot with short-hopping). With this Link can place bombs like mines and use them as shield, which sometimes will eat up particles.

Jtails

Smash Lord
I was messing around with toon link in training and found something interesting.

When you throw a bomb at another player and it connects, the explosion does not hurt link. This leads to a lot of options that he didn't have in the previous game.

Jump canceled bomb toss into things like utilt, usmash, fsmash, fair are all now possible. I think this technique completely changes this character and adds a lot to his potential. I have a link posted below of me showing off this "tech" (if you'd call it that).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGF4zF6DHJg&list=UUqPqbNdFU8z87h2NTPmzq5A

this is huge for TL! awesome

iiGGYxD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiGGYxD
3DS FC
0447-7543-7353
Question: Can Toon Link also drop a bomb without them exploding like Link? If you press ZAir with Link, while holding a bomb, he will simply drop it and it will not explode on hitting the ground. (You can even drop a bomb without triggering his hook-shot with short-hopping). With this Link can place bombs like mines and use them as shield, which sometimes will eat up particles.

Yes, I as able to do this a few times, though it is really hard compared to Link. The few times I did it were me ledge hopping and dropping the bomb as a hopped over the edge onto the ground.

Kunai KazeKun

Smash Apprentice
Thats a really good buff for him. I was just wondering why the bomb deals only 5 damage when hit the enemy. I know why its so now. The bomb of Normal Link does more damage if you just throw it down. When the opponent is beside this, you can deal 10% Damage.
Its a really interesting option for him, i will test a lot with this!

Thanks for sharing the information.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Hm, this removes quite a lot of the risk involved with this move. This coupled with the short fuse bombs makes for quite a bomb spam tactic.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
As a lifelong [smallest available] Link main, I love this addition so much. I've been playing around with it on the demo as BigLink, and so far my favourite thing is dash-bombing. Basically, throwing your held bomb as you dash into your opponent at point-blank range. At lower percentages, it combos straight into USmash for a nice 22% damage.

McX

Smash Cadet
Can you still get invincibility from airdodging and dropping the bomb at the same time like in brawl? Maybe then if toon link has a fast enough aerial he can also get in an air dodge aerial and build up a combo.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Oh wow, I need to try this out with Link in the demo, so I'm ready to apply it to Toon Link this Friday.

Top Bottom