• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link and controllers

drudge

Smash Rookie
I'm fairly new to the game and I'm working on my TL skills, at this point its just being able to be consistent with the SHDA and SH aerials. The one thing I'm having a little trouble with is the RAR. It's a simple concept but for some reason I just cant implement it consistently. I use the nunchuck/wiimote and want to know if its going to be better to try and use the GC controller to accomplish the higher level tactics...or if enough practice will make any controller suffice.

therukus

Smash Cadet
I would say try the gamecube controller but.. if you never played melee then I guess it wouldn't hurt to use the wiimote combo..?

nah... pick up a GC controller. =P

drudge

Smash Rookie
well I have been playing since release. But I didn't play Brawl...only the 64 version

edit* i don't know why it keeps replacing brawl with melee

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
You can accomplish a greater number of techniques if you use the GC controller, primarily because of the B-stick. So I suggest using it. Also, Auto-RAR'ing is really useful and can only be done with a B-stick.

smashlink_aru

Smash Apprentice
Use a gc controller, switch the c-stick to specials and do the Auto - RARing which is a lot easier just run, before reaching your opponent tilt the c-stick to the opposite side, your character should automatically face back and jump and at last do the Bair. That helped me a lot.

Robiin

Smash Cadet
I would say NOT to B-stick with T.Link. RARing is not that hard to learn, and when you get used to it it's not hard to do in the midst (sry) of battle ^^

Also, I recommend to C-stick aerials because you are able to DI Bair, which is, in my opinion, very good to be able to..

justexisting

Smash Rookie
i've gotta agree with everyone else, GC controller. I've tried the wiimote, and wiimote+nunchuck... and i can confidently say GC FTW

ssbm rocks1

Smash Rookie
go to controls in the options menu, pick your name, then change the controls of the c-stick to special.
Then, when you are running, you tap the c-stick the opposite directiong you are running. Then use your back air.
I find it easier to change my z button to attack so its easier to use the bair. But then you have to change the x or y button to grab if you normally use z for grabs.
It might take a while to get used to changing your grab button, but i think its much easier. :D

BAND!T

Smash Cadet
classic controller is easier to find. and i think its better to map the b button to jump and hav y and a to your special and melee respectively. not a fan of bsticking since hyphensmashing is a main part of my game. and same with snakes dlxcancelmortarslidething

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
I would say NOT to B-stick with T.Link. RARing is not that hard to learn, and when you get used to it it's not hard to do in the midst (sry) of battle ^^
Even if you don't use the B-Stick to RAR, you can at least see the merit in being able to pull bombs with fast-falling. DI Bairs are nice, but honestly, when would you ever want to move in a direction that's not heading towards your opponent.

Hunter_R

Smash Cadet
classic controller is easier to find. and i think its better to map the b button to jump and hav y and a to your special and melee respectively.
This. It's exactly what I did and I haven't looked back. It's also great for the shda. The face buttons are just placed so much better than the gc controller.

Coselm

Smash Ace
Even if you don't use the B-Stick to RAR, you can at least see the merit in being able to pull bombs with fast-falling. DI Bairs are nice, but honestly, when would you ever want to move in a direction that's not heading towards your opponent.
When you don't want to be shield grabbed?

RARing is probably the easiest technique I have ever learned, and I don't see any benefits to B-sticking really. DIing is so excessively important in Brawl. You would get torn apart by good players if you just mindlessly rushed with Bairs without being able to space yourself properly.

Please, someone convince me on why B-sticking is worth using. And don't say Auto RAR.

Cooper736

Smash Journeyman
Please, someone convince me on why B-sticking is worth using. And don't say Auto RAR.
BOMBS. Pulling bombs without losing excess altitude is a plus, and makes it easier to do off the edge without worrying about your recovery. The only thing you lose is a powered Usmash off the run, but that is easily remedied, and most of the time you don't want your opponents going too high anyway.

Hunter_R

Smash Cadet
BOMBS. Pulling bombs without losing excess altitude is a plus, and makes it easier to do off the edge without worrying about your recovery. The only thing you lose is a powered Usmash off the run, but that is easily remedied, and most of the time you don't want your opponents going too high anyway.
Meh, I don't think that using b-sticking soley for the bombs and auto-rar with Toon Link is worth it. As you say, you lose the dashing up-smash.

More importantly, though, is you will lose a lot of effectiveness with Toon Link's aerials. You can move in one direction and do the opposite aerial attack. You lose this ability when b-sticking. It doesn't seem worth it to pull bombs without fast falling.

Top Bottom