• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too scared

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
I have mained sheik for the past 2 years, but have been playing Mario nonstop for the past 5 or 6 months and its safe to say my Mario game is on par with my Sheik. I just get too nervous at tournaments to bust out Mario over my Sheik because well Sheik is broken and has better match up options. Real question is for you guys do you think me playing Mario at a tourney would benefit me in any way (maybe with people not knowing the match up very well)? Is there any real advantage for myself to play Mario over Sheik on a competition level?

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
you gotta play who you love. its easier to grow and get better.

its always nice to have a to tier back up tho.

go fourth and play your mario.

j3ly

Smash Champion
there is no point maining mario without a top tier to back him up, that is if you are going for the top 3.

shiek is a good choice because she covers marth and puff, but alot of people disagree with puff. an excellent combination of chars is mario (v.s everybody but marth+puff) and falco for puff, fox for marth.

i can 100% vice for people being totally thrown off by mario in tournament. He is **** fast, and **** underrated - if people played all the characters equally, in that tier list id eyeball him around ganons level and certainly above samus This is assuming the mario mains have somebody else to help with marth.

on the other hand, the top 10 wont be thrown by the matchup, and the nature of their positions in the region denotes that they can adapt really well. howver, all the tier list does is 'tally' tournament results, and the longer it is in effect the more bias it becomes. Its a testimony to how gamers are all sheep to the legends of their games, because everybody plays the top tiers in most games. its not a character ranking system, its a god **** tally chart.

to conclude:
If you are aiming to impress, get a foothold in ur community and generally **** everbody but the top guns, then picking mario will work to your advantage.

If you are aiming to get to the top/top 3, then maining mario will still work very much to your advantage - but you need an alt with decent range to cover bad matchups. its just the way it works :( because campers are gay.

and theres a little something called down time. you need tournament experience with mario, and to get that you gotta loose. accept the down-time, and it'll be well worth it. That and playing a low tier gets you noticed and invited to smashfests, but if you've been playing for 2 years i doubt thats a problem

j3ly 4 pres

Dojomaster2

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info both of you and j3ly you should run for president because that speech was amazing lol. It is settled next tournament Mario is coming out to play

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
You could play the match-ups like like on both sides don't play 100% just to win, I may play really gay I made falcon(me) vs marth a 7 minute match(4 stocks) on FD due to DD camping and if he died from something BS I would kill myself to make it equal even if he wouldn't and never did the same for me.

I play gay with honor.

mario shouldn't be so bad he loses auto matic so really you have a solid chance of doing something. I myself hate fighting marios.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Hm. So me maining Mario AND Falco is a good idea? :D

j3ly

Smash Champion
without falco u have almost no chance of making it to the top 3. when peoples used to be saying that, i always said nah mario for life, but now i realise its necessary to blind pick the top players, and to have a sub.

dojo, hit mario. :) for life :)

(remeber you can chaingrab fox 0-70 falco 0-70 shiek 0-45 and its important to get a late uair as the final hit, late uair so u have more time to follow up. finish with a nair. do 2 standing hits per grab, its kinda chating but listen to their controller. if they tap madly only hit them once, then when they hit 40 hit them twice. it makes chain grabbing alot easier because u have time to re-collect your concentration when u grab-hit them.

a rookie

Smash Ace
there is no point maining mario without a top tier to back him up, that is if you are going for the top 3.

j3ly 4 pres
I can't really agree with this, I'll get top 3! You just watch, lol. I'm going to a tournament on the 27th in Irvine Ca. I got this, I don't need a secondary! =P I would only use someone else for fun or to prove a point. I might enter the next next tourney with a different character for the lols and experimentation.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think jelly may have meant to use sheik for the hardest match-ups like ... I don't know who mario sucks against but I think he sucks vs space animals. don't pull the chain throw card on me.

My really I will go ALL pichu at tournments but for like vs sheiks, ice climbers, and ness because I would just marth ness cause he's to dumb to be comboed by pichu and isn't as fun to fight as puff. But again they are all pretty rare to see so yeah.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
I think jelly may have meant to use sheik for the hardest match-ups like ... I don't know who mario sucks against but I think he sucks vs space animals. don't pull the chain throw card on me.

My really I will go ALL pichu at tournments but for like vs sheiks, ice climbers, and ness because I would just marth ness cause he's to dumb to be comboed by pichu and isn't as fun to fight as puff. But again they are all pretty rare to see so yeah.
You should main Pichu and secondary Pika.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
WHY I know more about pikachu than what 90% of all the pikachu players without playing as him, pikachu just sucks I hate nearly everything about him his up-B is all wrong and isn't fast enough, if you play as pichu you can't play as pikachu just like how axe can't play as pichu. all the other clones work out well but for pichu/pikachu. I hate pikachu he's sooooo F***ing easy it's dumb.

ice climbers and pichu are uber hard pichu has the smallest sweetspot in the game and I've ledge teched 2 of marth's f-smashes in a row before. pichu is sooo fun and is just perfect in every way for me also I couldn't get use to a different sheild size fun fact pichu/ ice climbers sheild are the same size and are both pretty good.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
WHY I know more about pikachu than what 90% of all the pikachu players without playing as him, pikachu just sucks I hate nearly everything about him his up-B is all wrong and isn't fast enough, if you play as pichu you can't play as pikachu just like how axe can't play as pichu. all the other clones work out well but for pichu/pikachu. I hate pikachu he's sooooo F***ing easy it's dumb.

ice climbers and pichu are uber hard pichu has the smallest sweetspot in the game and I've ledge teched 2 of marth's f-smashes in a row before. pichu is sooo fun and is just perfect in every way for me also I couldn't get use to a different sheild size fun fact pichu/ ice climbers sheild are the same size and are both pretty good.

°_°;

Well you should team up w/ Axe on doubles then :D

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I can't do teams if we lose I hate myself and it ruins my mindset I blame myself even if I'm 3 times better and did all the work. teams ruin me even in friendilies. I can stannd losing all alll day to m2k but losing once in teams shakes me.

Top Bottom