• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too bad olimar is ruined now

deoxxys

Smash Rookie
Guess thats better then not having him in Project M at all. But he was way better in Brawl. They changed the hitbox for up smash and made it much smaller, now he cant hit people into the air who are right next to him. His smash attacks arent as consecutive, his down aerial is no where as useable as it was in brawl. Now he only gets 4 pikmin instead of like 5? And that means its harder to recover. Yeah you may have made the pikmin individually better but all the cons out weigh the pros.

In Brawl it felt like most of his moves were about his smash attacks and those dont feel as fluid anymore and his aerial attacks were pretty good too but aerial down A feels ruined.

Vashimus

Smash Master
Olimar only feels better because he's in a Melee engine. Brawl Olimar is definitely the better character.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Guess thats better then not having him in Project M at all. But he was way better in Brawl. They changed the hitbox for up smash and made it much smaller, now 1) he cant hit people into the air who are right next to him. His smash attacks arent as consecutive, his down aerial is no where as useable as it was in brawl. 2) Now he only gets 4 pikmin instead of like 5? 3) And that means its harder to recover. Yeah you may have made the pikmin individually better but all the cons out weigh the pros.

In Brawl it felt like most of his moves were about his smash attacks and those dont feel as fluid anymore and his aerial attacks were pretty good too but aerial down A feels ruined.
  1. It hits in front of him and above him. It really isn't even that bad.
  2. In brawl, he could have 6 pikmin up. Not 5, there are 5 different types of pikmin useable in each game however.
  3. Right from the Project M page about Olimar, (Regarding his recovery)
    SPACE FLIGHT

Olimar's recovery was considered one of his weakest points in Brawl, but he's back with some new tricks up his sleeve to make getting back to the stage a more interesting affair. While he is no longer able to shrug off attacks with his Whistle, an aerial Pikmin Pluck now makes him hover in mid-air for a moment, increasing his horizontal movement range and throwing off opponents' edgeguards. Olimar's Up-B now allows you to grab the ledge after an initial miss if you're in range, giving him a bit more leniency, and the vertical hop increases with fewer Pikmin, encouraging intelligent use of Pikmin throws. While he may not have the grace of Peach or the flexibility of Meta Knight, these tools allow you to do more than just move forward and hope for the best. This isn't flying--This is falling with style!"
He can also use white pikmin to help with his recovery. They explode after a certain amount of time. You can use purple pikmin to get people out of position to or at least knock them back, so edgeguarding a good Olimar, could be challenging.

Try reading buddy, if you had read, you wouldn't even have mentioned that last part. The rest, I can't comment on since I didn't get into brawl.

Tuvillo

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Olimar is obviously better, but he was good to the point of several aspects of him being broken.

He had Smash attacks with almost zero commitment, for example, and he could spam them at ridiculous speeds in any direction consecutively.

deoxxys

Smash Rookie
  1. It hits in front of him and above him. It really isn't even that bad.
  2. In brawl, he could have 6 pikmin up. Not 5, there are 5 different types of pikmin useable in each game however.
  3. Right from the Project M page about Olimar, (Regarding his recovery)
    SPACE FLIGHT

Olimar's recovery was considered one of his weakest points in Brawl, but he's back with some new tricks up his sleeve to make getting back to the stage a more interesting affair. While he is no longer able to shrug off attacks with his Whistle, an aerial Pikmin Pluck now makes him hover in mid-air for a moment, increasing his horizontal movement range and throwing off opponents' edgeguards. Olimar's Up-B now allows you to grab the ledge after an initial miss if you're in range, giving him a bit more leniency, and the vertical hop increases with fewer Pikmin, encouraging intelligent use of Pikmin throws. While he may not have the grace of Peach or the flexibility of Meta Knight, these tools allow you to do more than just move forward and hope for the best. This isn't flying--This is falling with style!"
He can also use white pikmin to help with his recovery. They explode after a certain amount of time, so edgeguarding a good Olimar, could be challenging. Try reading buddy, if you had read, you wouldn't even have mentioned that last part. The rest, I can't comment on since I didn't get into brawl.
his recovery matters little when you are taking 2 pikmin out of his chain. Its like saying im take away your 2 of your 6 cookies but heres 3 pieces of one.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
his recovery matters little when you are taking 2 pikmin out of his chain. Its like saying im take away your 2 of your 6 cookies but heres 3 pieces of one.
It`s more like "I`m taking 2 of your 6 cookies away from you but I`m replacing them with 15 brownies."

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
can i just say that with regards to the recovery the aerial nuetral B helps alot? not to mention he has a boosted jump the less pikmin he has.
nuetralB> wave land is a thing, just sayin

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
can i just say that with regards to the recovery the aerial nuetral B helps alot? not to mention he has a boosted jump the less pikmin he has.
nuetralB> wave land is a thing, just sayin
Already got that up. If he doesn't want to acknowledge the changes, he can keep living under his rock.

PastLink

Smash Journeyman
Already got that up. If he doesn't want to acknowledge the changes, he can keep living under his rock.
agh, sorry about that then, but still. you can't blame him fully, some people have trouble seeing the good some changes bring at first. especially if it's a character they're familiar with. (not always the case obviously but yeah)

French Tomahawk

Smash Rookie
NNID
Captain Falcon
I like the new Olimar a lot, his grab range is still awesome, his Pikmin toss is even better for racking up percent, and the new neutral B recovery option is radical. I feel if the PM ream left all the good things about Oli in Brawl and added the new good things in PM he'd be way too OP. I think it's a good trade off nonetheless. But if nothing else, be happy he's in the game!

SSS

Smash Ace
no im not disregarding it.

Its still not as good as a 6 Pikmin Up B ledge grab.
Lol it's better. You have the boosted jump in the beginning and the pikmin pluck giving you an added bonus. And even if those don't equate to Brawl's length, the fact that he can't get ledgehogged is a godsend. It was literally his biggest weakness in Brawl. The Olimar matchup in Brawl is literally "pressure him to the edge and ledgehog him". Like it's not even funny how bad Olimar's recovery is in Brawl. It's actually one of the worst.

Honestly the thing we should be complaining about is how his second biggest weakness in Brawl (how easily he was juggled) has been further exacerbated by the fact that whistle doesn't super armor.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
This isn't brawl oli. This is PM oli. How bout you play him like a new char and learn instead of comparing him

asob4

Smash Champion
The only change I really dislike is no more whistle armor frames, it was an integral part of his playstyle. It was anti-juggling and allowed for better recovery. Yes the pluck is nice, but the whistle was just so good.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Whistle would be kinda unfair to the player comboing oli tho. Oli punishes returns back to the stage really well, it'd be kinda ridiculous for oli to not be susceptible to such a huge aspect of the game.

Loved whistle tho.

Player -0

Smash Hero
Addressing the OP -
Oli's Up Smash was almost too good; you could do it out of shield, it killed at around 100 depending on the pikmin, was comboed into by Down Throw at low percents, and had a huge hitbox (similar to Fox but with less endlag). You could spam it too.

You're not supposed to be able to consecutively spam smash attacks unless you're mario and you're spamming down smash because that move is really derpy.

The animations for some of the new stuff is really awkward, yeah.

The new Up Tilt is pretty nice, you can combo by popping people into the air and it's now an alternative to just being able to use smash attacks and grabs instead of tilts like you could in brawl.

From what I've seen Olimar gets a significant pop when using his Up-B compared to brawl and the pikmin pluck stall is fairly decent too. The whistle armor would've been too good in the melee environment. It would effectively be a brawl airdodge. I would be all for light armor to medium armor though.

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Upsmash still kills well and can be spammed. The hit box is smaller, but OOS is still an option. Its still a threat

DiSQO_BuNNY

Smash Lord
NNID
DisqoBunny
Yes yes indeed. Sorry, I've been putting a lot of time into my other character for the tourney I played today and apex.

Pika_thunder

Smash Apprentice
Now olimar joins ZSS, pikachu, metaknight, and diddly kong in the room for characters that were epic in brawl, but suck in p:m.

Nido

ily Sebby
diddly kong

On a serious note, ZSS isn't horrible in PM and she wasn't epic in Brawl
MK is good in this game wtf
Diddy Kong just got a buff and now people say he's amazing...

Olimar has been out for like 2 weeks give us time to find stuff on him.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Now olimar joins ZSS, pikachu, metaknight, and diddly kong in the room for characters that were epic in brawl, but suck in p:m.
Did you see diddy in 2.5? Even now, he isn't ass. You seen oro!? Play zss? That character is pretty good, just under represented. Metaknight is amazing. Pika has everything from brawl and melee. The only reason there isn't much new to add to her is because of no one playing her. Flawed post, is flawed.

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Just because you can't play him like you used to doesn't mean he is worse, be inventive people. zero suit samus had a similar transition over to P:M a lot of ZSS mains hated her because they couldn't d-smash spam and nuke everything with her over-special, but after a while you learn how to use her even more effectively than you use to.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
yeah honestly this thread should be like, locked.. this is contributing nothing to smashboards. all this consists of is people who dont understand the melee/PM environment as well yet, and people who do understand it a little better trying to tell everyone to get out of the brawl mindset. the PM olimar is designed such that a smart player can perform extremely well with him, whereas brawl olimar was designed such that a resus monkey playing him could make a smart player hate brawl altogether.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
Funny enough, he is one of the characters lvl9 cpu that I have the most trouble playing against in project m. I think he plays much better in this game than in brawl. His forward b seems a lot harder to shake off, his white pikmin are scary, and can set up EASY combos if they explode, his B move helps him recover really nicely, and he can't be edgehogged, and he still has a good reach with his smash attacks and grab, though not as long or as broken as in Vbrawl. His blue pikmin have been buffed to do more damage as well. You even get rewarded if you survive long enough for the flowers to appear on the pikmin's heads. While he isn't as campy as in Vbrawl, he still has an amazing spacing game, and can become very powerful late in game. The complaints the OP has are complains if addressed and revised, would make olimar broken. Do we really want that? Do we want a 2.0 ike or lucario? Do we want another 2.5 sonic? We don't need any more characters that were so powerful that they needed over 9000 nerfs to satisfy everyone.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I just find Olimar really boring to play as. I don't think he is really bad compared to Brawl. Nothing about him makes him interesting to play for me. I think as a character is plenty decent. Still needs some tweaks, but not bad. Just.. boring.

Hinichii.ez.™

insincere personality
NNID
hinichii
3DS FC
2423-5382-7542
Olimar ain't BORIN yo
You just ain't doin it right

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
He is interesting to say the least. He can't really camp with forward b anymore, but I think the best thing about olimar is that you can L cancel his dair. In brawl, it was tough to approach from above because his dair had a lot of lag afterwards, while in project m, you could approach this way if you are to high above your opponent to do a fair.

Player -0

Smash Hero
He is interesting to say the least. He can't really camp with forward b anymore, but I think the best thing about olimar is that you can L cancel his dair. In brawl, it was tough to approach from above because his dair had a lot of lag afterwards, while in project m, you could approach this way if you are to high above your opponent to do a fair.
You approached in brawl? (Kappa)

WITH OLIMAR!?

Besides, a lot of characters had that problem.

666blaziken

Smash Journeyman
You approached in brawl? (Kappa)

WITH OLIMAR!?

Besides, a lot of characters had that problem.
Well, I tried to approach them, while they tried different moves such as meta tornado, and I also tried with fair and dair. Project M makes olimar a lot easier to appreach.

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
"now"

nah, olimar was always trash, it's just that in brawl he happened to be top-tier trash, whereas now he's just boring ol' trash

Player -0

Smash Hero
Well, I tried to approach them, while they tried different moves such as meta tornado, and I also tried with fair and dair. Project M makes olimar a lot easier to appreach.
Yeah, that's the idea. It's supposed to be harder and takes more skill to keep someone out rather than just Pivot Grab etc etc.

D

Deleted member

Olimar is one of my flipping MAINS in P:M. He was terrible to me in Brawl, but I find him much better here.

Player -0

Smash Hero
People main Oli in Project M :O (Kappa)

I think Oli is much better in Brawl due to the camp environment, if he had the P:M tether in Brawl he would be on the a level playing field in my opinion.

JUGGERNAUT043

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Olimar is obviously better, but he was good to the point of several aspects of him being broken.

He had Smash attacks with almost zero commitment, for example, and he could spam them at ridiculous speeds in any direction consecutively.
hmmmmmm sounds like a certain bird and fox to me lol

Top Bottom