• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too aggressive with Ganon???

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
I was reading InfernoOmni's thread The Divide Between Good and Great ( http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=105902) and it made me realize that I am too aggressive with Ganon. I believe that this has come from the fact that Ganon has no projectiles to spam, and that i REALLY enjoy a good headstomping, so I try and keep a close distance to my opponents. I also probably use aerials too much with ganon.

When I play another aggressive player, I find myself running into attacks, even when I know they are coming. I think that I become overly aggressive, and I try and do things beyond my ability (or beyond Ganons sometimes). I guess an example would be against fox's uair, i will still try and get above to dair it sometimes (i know this is a bad decision, but i still find myself trying it). I also try and fair pikachus d-smash, and i get sucked in nearly everytime, but i still try this too often. I wish I had a video to show, because I know that these examples are not that good, but they are all I can think of right now.

When I play a defensive player, I find myself getting shield grabbed way too often. I am starting to use the jab right after an l-canceled air attack, but i still find myself on the wrong end of a shield grab a lot of the time. I also feel like I am constantly chasing my opponent around the level, almost to the point where they can position me in an unfavorable way, and then capitalize on it.

So Im wondering, what are some good ways to play defensively with Ganon, besides trying to set up a CG from shield grab? Also, I use too many aerial attacks, but I am starting to incorporate ganons f-tilt, d-tilt, and jab into my game. I am however having major problems using his up-smash and d-smash. I know that these are pretty situational (and helpful), but does anyone have advice on what situations or tendencies I should watch for to better use these smash attacks? Thanks a lot.

Kenjii

Smash Cadet
Some nice defense Ganondorf techniques would be:
Short hopping backwards and doing a forward aerial SHFFL.
Wavedash backwards and do a d+B, f+B, d-smash, f-tilt, jump forward and do a dair, and maybe some other stuff.
Shield grab, throw down, repeat or do a f+b or d+b.

Whenever I play defensive with Ganondorf, I just try to be acrobatic. I do a ton of jumping, wavelanding, and position myself better for some fairs.

Doing the up smash is really difficult to land. Getting both hits in is hard. I mainly can only do it after a dair at low percentages. However I mainly do the down smash. It has a lot more range and leaves the opponent for another attack in the air.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
seeing that you are in GA i have a question. there are some pretty good players in GA do you play with them if so wat are their names?

defensive ganon doesn't work for every character u play as well as every person u play. you culd play a defensive falco who shots lasers like water and then u are forced to approach. what most people dont realize is that grabbing is the best move in the game (except with fox and falco). if u can get in a grab from a f-air spamming marth u can abuse it. this is where defense comes in. u shuld watch wat ur opponents doing try and predict it and find a way to get a grab in. repetitive good habits are really good in smash. if u can get a grab to upsmash in every life its a good thing.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I have played Mike (co_and_me) once, last year, before I had really learned any advanced techniques, and needless to say, he beat the crap out of me. I still do not think I can beat him, but I have not played anybody else in Ga (worth mentioning). I havent had a lot of good people to play against in the past, but i found a few guys here at my school, and hopefully we can get some competitive games in soon.
Plus I just got PJ64k and a N64 usb port, so ssb64 has pretty much been running my smash life.
Once, again, thanks for the replies/advice guys.

CluelessBTD

Smash Ace
It's difficult to play defensively with Ganondorf sometimes, considering that he doesn't have projectiles. However, using your shield wisely and throwing a forward-B at the right time works to get under some projectiles. Ganon can also be shield-poked somewhat easily (Docs dash attack, in my experience), so when your shield is being eaten, jump out of your shield with a Dair as they approach you from ground level. You can shield grab most aerials, and if they attempt a crossover just jump backwards out of your shield with a Dair.

chaddd

Smash Lord
Were you at Laser for the Children? I was there, I thought maybe I played some games against you at some point.

Anyway, this game is about patience. Rushdown doesn't work, especially when your character is slower than just about everyone except Bowser. Try playing keep away for a while to see how many openings show themselves. It's all about waiting for your opponents attempts to puncish you, and then punishing their vulnerability instead.

Frozenserpent

Smash Journeyman
It seems to me, that ganon is an inherently defensive character. He doesn't have a high speed to capitalize in quick, sudden attacks. Instead, he has power and range, so he can effectively build a wall with his aerials.
Ganondorf gets hit out of his attacks easily, so instead of forcing your will on an opponent, you end up winning by waiting for mistakes and capitalizing them.

bjdavis420

Smash Journeyman
Chaddd, sadly I was out of town that weekend. I am trying to start playing in more tournaments and with better people around Atlanta, but right now the timing just never works out in my favor. And thanks for the advice guys, im going to try and be more patient with my game play, instead of just rushing in and trying to headstomp everyone :)

SiD

Smash Master
His up smash can also work good as a lure, since it has hardly any end lag. You can up smash when they aren't close enough to get hit by it, and they will a lot of times run at you, so you can jab or shield then grab.

Top Bottom