• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tomes man, Tomes

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Can we talk about Tomes. I feel like Robin gets so much better when she has a tome in her hand. It is such a fast projectile that does 18 percent and has high kill potential.The tomes feel like a tad bit weaker stitch face in my opinion. I feel like there is so much to do with tomes. So this thread should be about us talking about all the cool things you have done with Tomes.

For example: I used nair and the nos Tome as shield pressure a few times and have even gotten it to break shields multiple times from doing this. It was so nice and it felt to good.

I also z drop the tome on the edge at opponents trying to recover, and have gotten many stage spikes, and spikes from doing so.

So tell me what do you think about Robin's Tomes. I feel like its actually her best projectile just hard to get.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I love Robin's tomes. They're just so amazing! Their versatility, damage, and knockback make them the most awesome spawned item in the game. They're just hard to get (and keep).

I enjoy throwing a tome at the enemy's shield, dashing forward and catching it, and throwing it again.

My best advice with the tomes is that not one should ever be dropped. Well, almost ever. The opportunity to grab one should never be wasted for no reason, at any rate.

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
I love Robin's tomes. They're just so amazing! Their versatility, damage, and knockback make them the most awesome spawned item in the game. They're just hard to get (and keep).

I enjoy throwing a tome at the enemy's shield, dashing forward and catching it, and throwing it again.

My best advice with the tomes is that not one should ever be dropped. Well, almost ever. The opportunity to grab one should never be wasted for no reason, at any rate.
The rare situation where one may drop a tome is when being attacked right after casting a spell. I would rather dodge the attack then try and grab the tome a get punished.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Oh cuz I used the default Robin but I made him blue and then I tried catching sword but I missed and I tried more times but missed all of them swords.
I do not like using Robina cuz I cannot make her blue and she is less manly than Robin but catching books and swords is really good so if only pink Robina does that then I should pick pink Robina instead of other Robins and Robina's.

Last edited:

SoBMudkip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ROBIN_HYPE
Oh cuz I used the default Robin but I made him blue and then I tried catching sword but I missed and I tried more times but missed all of them swords.
I do not like using Robina cuz I cannot make her blue and she is less manly than Robin but catching books and swords is really good so if only pink Robina does that then I should pick pink Robina instead of other Robins and Robina's.
He was joking.

ProjectilePuff

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MilouPadley
3DS FC
1075-0715-3179
R.I.P Brave Sword, you have no meaning in Smash... even though you'd be pretty coolio.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
Zareidriel, you're confusing the poor guy!

All of the Robin alts can catch all of the books and the sword. Zareidriel was making a joke. If you failed to catch the sword, that just means you messed up. Just keep practicing, you'll get it eventually. Marth and Lucina are completely different characters, MRobin and FRobin are the same character.

Anyway, back on topic, I disagree with Zareidriel's idea that you should never let a tome drop. If you have the opportunity for a followup leading to potential KO, you should do that followup instead of taking the tome. If my opponent is at 120% and I use my last Arcfire, there is no way I will forgo getting a KO with uair to grab the tome.

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
I thought he was also joking! :rotfl:

Edit: I'm phrasing my idea incorrectly. I'm trying to word it to mean: "Never miss a tome for no reason." If you have a followup, incoming attack, or whatever, forget the thing and do that. All I want to emphasize is that we, as Robins, miss more books than absolutely necessary; "catching every convenient book", rather "than missing the grab, or not realizing the book is coming out", is what I want to proselytize.

Last edited:

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
I feel like a Robin's skill level is determined by how well they utilize all of her tools.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
The fastest away to obtain a used-up tome is spamming Nosferatu, since it has 4 uses.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
The fastest away to obtain a used-up tome is spamming Nosferatu, since it has 4 uses.
I don't think you should waste nosferatu for the tome unless you really think that you will not be able to hit it since it has a 40 second respawn timer. It also leaves you really vulnerable when you use it and do not hit. If you've KO'd the opponent it might be better to just spam arc fire or the levin sword.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I'm aware of Nosferatu's 40 sec respawn timer. I have adapted to Robin's playstyle in higher play without the use of the special in many moments. Even though it's always good to surprise your opponent(s)with something new from your arsenal, I tend to only use it when I know it's going to land on someone's back or when I'm over 90%.

Why? Well, Nosferatu has got me killed more times mechanic-wise. For example, why does this put you in freefall when used on someone while you're in the air? Otherwise, this would be a great counterattack for edge campers.

Last edited:

Zareidriel

zuh-RAY-dree-ole
NNID
Zareidriei
FieryRebirth said:
I have adapted to Robin's playstyle in higher play without the use of the special in many moments.
I honestly think this is a total sack of crap. You NEED Nosferatu. It's one of your four specials. That's not very many specials. And what qualifies as "higher play" anyway? XD Being able to identify when it's going to land is good, but being able to identify when it's your non-guaranteed best option (opponent shielding on platform above you etc) is vital.

Just because it's hard to use is no excuse. And neither is the off-edge mechanic. If it's killing you, stop using it off the edge. Easy as that. :skull:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
"Tomes are love, tomes are life.

Fling a book on their ugly muggers and salute Klarth/Claus F. Lester in the meantime as the opponent just got blasted over line.
"

Last edited:

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
OK, so I had zero idea the books and swords were actual physical items you could catch and throw until I watched a Robin match just yesterday. I've always held the belief that items are one of the best possible traits a character can have so count me in on the Robin train.

You're telling me they bounce of shields?????????? I'm gonna faint.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
If I get the KO while having one Arcfire/Thunder/Levin Sword charge left, I typically waste the item and grab it during the respawn period. 18% + a followup + stage control is a nice way to kick the stock off, or just as a nice pressure tool, and by the time you've thrown the item away, it's respawned in your inventory again, so you can go right back to spacing specials.

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
I haven't done this is a real match but I have experimented with it on training mode. At low percentages, I do an arcfire (with a tome at hand), follow it up with a footstool and quickly do a zdrop, and while Im landing do a fair. Im not good at fast falling after a footstool so Im hoping once I do that I might be able to do more with this.

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
I honestly think this is a total sack of crap. You NEED Nosferatu. It's one of your four specials. That's not very many specials. And what qualifies as "higher play" anyway? XD Being able to identify when it's going to land is good, but being able to identify when it's your non-guaranteed best option (opponent shielding on platform above you etc) is vital.

Just because it's hard to use is no excuse. And neither is the off-edge mechanic. If it's killing you, stop using it off the edge. Easy as that. :skull:
If for some reason it is absolutely necessary that you have a tome in your hand that instant, it's worth it to waste Nosferatu. It has the least number of uses, so you'll get access to the tome quicker than if you were to waste Arcfire.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622

Instead of "being wasted" think of the move as just turning into an item on it's fifth use.

Zeiah92

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zeiah92
I wonder. i just saw the combo video with peach where she would drop the turnips in a combo and catch them again only to use them again multiple times. is it possible for Robin to do this with either the tomes or the sword?

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
I wonder. i just saw the combo video with peach where she would drop the turnips in a combo and catch them again only to use them again multiple times. is it possible for Robin to do this with either the tomes or the sword?
They dissapear after they hit a character, but they bounce of shields causing some very nice shield pressure and mind games. You might be able to grab Levin Sword tho if your fast enough, because I don't think that dissapears right away.

Last edited:

TheHypnotoad

Smash Ace
How do I practice catching tomes in the heat of battle? I try to remember to get them, but most of the time I either miss, or don't go for them. The biggest offender is Arcfire, because I'll usually go for a followup, which I will defend letting the book fall. But sometimes I start charging Thunder and completely forget to try to catch the tome. I want to practice catching them successfully and remembering to catch them when they run out, but sometimes it doesn't even cross my mind when I'm actually in the middle of a fight.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
How do I practice catching tomes in the heat of battle? I try to remember to get them, but most of the time I either miss, or don't go for them. The biggest offender is Arcfire, because I'll usually go for a followup, which I will defend letting the book fall. But sometimes I start charging Thunder and completely forget to try to catch the tome. I want to practice catching them successfully and remembering to catch them when they run out, but sometimes it doesn't even cross my mind when I'm actually in the middle of a fight.
What I'd reccomend is to memorize how many uses you have left when the Tome/Levin Sword starts flashing, and to watch them during the match. By doing this, you'll be prepared to catch it when it runs out. When Arcfire and Nosferatu flash, you have one use left. When the Levin Sword flashes, you have two uses left. Though, I haven't tried memorizing Thunder yet since there's mutiple variants that will affect when when it starts flashing. I don't think it's worth memorizing Elwind either since it rarely runs out.

Last edited:

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Once I used the same tome against my opponent's shield three times in a row, I got really close to a shield break. You honestly just need to practice catching tomes, figure out the way Robin throws the tomes and know how to time a catch correctly. Also your items flash when they only have 1/4 of their uses left if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Once I used the same tome against my opponent's shield three times in a row, I got really close to a shield break. You honestly just need to practice catching tomes, figure out the way Robin throws the tomes and know how to time a catch correctly. Also your items flash when they only have 1/4 of their uses left if I remember correctly.
one use for books and two uses for levin sword not 1/4, just correcting a mistake for the readers of this thread, and so you know yourself.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
I trained myself to always short-hop backwards and timely press the shield or grab button the moment I notice stationary Robin tosses a tome, it works well when you have breathing room.

Top Bottom