• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tome and Levin Sword respawn timers

Rikke

Smash Rookie
NNID
SageDragoon
3DS FC
0473-8198-9847
Hello everyone! First of all sorry if this has been posted somewhere else, I am VERY new to Smashboards and Forum sites in general.
Second Hello I'm Rikke I'm looking to get into the competitive scene when I feel like My skills have been honed enough, I also consider myself a really good Robin player (A running gag I have with my friends is that I'm THE best Robin player), and I'm "pretty good" with the other characters in this game as well.
and Third let's get with all of the testing I've done with the Respawn timers of the Levin Sword and Tomes Shall we?

Okay to begin, this was all done on the Wii U version, I did all test in an actual smash match against another player (myself), just incase Training mode for whatever reason messes with the timers, this was also done with me starting the time the second I hit to button(combination) to do these attacks, and stopped them the second I saw the flash, most of these numbers are rounded only because I can't be perfect and press stop on point with the flashes.Next I'd like to add that I test most of these number 2-5 just to be extra sure I wasn't hitting the timer late. These Test were all done using Fem. Robin and I haven't tried using Male Robin yet, If I find the Time I'll edit those in later. Last but not least there were still other things I wanted to test and if anyone has a friend to help them I would like to know if you could see if these effect the times:
1.Grabs and pummels.
2.Taking Damage, and dealing damage.
3. Using Other moves while the book is on cooldown.
4. Custom move timers, cause I don't have all of them yet.
Now without anymore delays here is what I've found.

Levin Sword
10 seconds| doing nothing/standing still
10 seconds| holding Levin sword
11 seconds| Spamming taunt???
8 seconds| spamming Up-smashes (would probably be faster spamming auto canceled Smashed-up-airs, but my hands were really restricted during testing)
7 seconds| one kill during cooldown (the largest respawn increase from a kill)
6 seconds| one kill and spamming smashes(same thing with up smash spamming)

Arc/Gigafire
12 seconds| doing nothing/standing still
12 seconds| holding Arc/Gigafire tome
12 seconds| spamming Arc/Gigafire
12 seconds| if last use is a jab combo finisher
12 seconds| Spamming Taunt
12 seconds| holding Levin Sword and the other tomes
11 seconds| one kill during cooldown
11 seconds| spamming Arc/Gigafire and one kill

Elwind
8 seconds| doing nothing/standing still (Recovery version)
8 seconds| holding elwind tome during cooldown (Recovery version)
8 seconds| spamming elwind (Recovery)
8 seconds| Spamming taunt
8 seconds| holding Levin sword and other tomes
7 seconds| if last use is a Jab combo finisher
6 seconds| from one kill (recovery version) during cooldown
5 seconds| from one kill (Jab combo finisher) during cooldown
5 seconds| from one kill (Jab combo finisher and spamming recovery version on the ground)

Nosferatu/Resire
40 seconds| doing nothing/Standing still
40 seconds| holding Nosferatu/Resire tome
40 seconds| Spamming Nosferatu/Resire (didn't feel like separating them this time, kinda expected these results)
40 seconds| taunting
40 seconds| if last use hit from the front
40 seconds| if last use hit from behind
40 seconds| if all uses hit (I did from the front all four times, and the back all four times, same results)
40 seconds| holding Levin Sword and other tomes
39 seconds| from one kill during cooldown (I also tested where I had p2 constantly SD in a 1v1, he SD'd 6 times and the time came out as 34 sec.)

Thunder ( keep in mind I'm also going to be putting what happens at individual levels as well)
12 seconds| doing nothing
12 seconds| holding THUNDER(as in the last level of thunder used was thunder) tome
12 seconds| holding Elthunder tome
12 seconds| holding Arc/Gigathunder tome
12 seconds| holding Thoron tome (Full and shortend versions)
12 seconds| taunting (all levels of thunder)
12 seconds| holding Levin sword and other tomes
12 seconds| spamming Special
10.5 seconds| (killed with thunder)
10.5 seconds| (killed with Elthunder)
10.5 seconds| (killed with Arc/GigaThunder)
10.5 seconds| (killed with thoron shorten, and extended)

And thats it, I know it looks kinda/very sloppy, I'm no expert sorry. My main reason for doing this was to 1. know what options I have when my tomes are gone, and what I can do to bring them back faster. and 2. Let other Robin player have the Have this Knowledge as well. Hope this helped some people and and feedback is welcomed

Last edited:

Demonstormkill

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-6919-7589
Hi Rikke, welcome to the Robin boards. Sick avatar! FF4 is actually the best game ever made.

Thanks for taking an interest in Robin and wanting to participate on the boards. It seems that Robin is the most versatile character in the game in that she has

1) more unique actions than any other character, (though less moves than R&L if you count Luma's moveset separately)
2) a command grab, projectile, and item, a feat matched only by Diddy Kong (and Wario if you call Wario's Bike a projectile)
3) several counters and timers associated with her moveset

As a result, there's room for creativity in choosing from an extra-large pool of options. Situational awareness and correct strategy are hugely rewarded. As with any character, learning (and then applying) every little detail of the moveset is essential to mastery, but unlike the rest of the cast, no one is close to having done so with Robin's massive moveset. I personally have well over 150 hours of play with Robin, and continue to learn more about her.

Your findings are pretty much what I would expect. The taunt spam effect on Levin sword I think is just because he swings the sword around during the animation and it has to wait till he's done before it comes back. It probably has no effect on gameplay. I believe the reason that using Elwind as a jab combo finisher lowers the time is that the timer starts as soon as the tome runs out. After that you watch the jab combo finish, and then it ejects the tome. If you only time it after the tome ejects, that's already been about 1 sec that the tome has been out of charges. I don't recall right now but I suspect the same thing happens if you fully charge your last smash attack -- the timer will begin at the start of the charge.

If you haven't yet, I suggest you check out @Zareidriel's excellent guide on Robin. The matchup section could stand to be refined and discussed by these boards, but otherwise it's jam packed with a bunch of good info. We've also been discussing some topics that may need further testing in that thread.

Top Bottom