• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To those 'don't get grabbed' preachers

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
knihT said:
I hope to god you're not basing your ******** opinions off my join date. My first account on this site was back in '03 or something, and I've had the game since 01 or 02. I played melee, and was decent. So please take your assumptions and put them the same place you'd have me put mine if you'd please.
The "I've had an account since *insert random date here* but for some unexplainable reason I decided to make a new one" is the most often used excuse I have seen around here.

What was your supposed previous account's name?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I love how I was brought into this.

I used IC's only in the grand finals and 1 match the very first set of that tournament. So a total of 5 games I believe. Sure I never lost with them, but thats because I only use them for counterpicks.

IC's have many bad match-up's and stages.

Want to know how to beat Ice Climbers? Pick moving stages. Pick characters with fast projectiles like toon link. Pick heavy characters like snake because they are hard to chaingrab and have amazing range. Yeah, this game has a lot of defensive options, but your opponent can use those options as well. I have perfected the infinites almost. I still cannot beat people on moving stages or characters like Toon Link with Climbers.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
The "I've had an account since *insert random date here* but for some unexplainable reason I decided to make a new one" is the most often used excuse I have seen around here.

What was your supposed previous account's name?
Join date doesn't matter anyway, I've seen plenty of stupid people that joined before '07 and I've seen plenty of smart people that joined even in '08.

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
BDawgPHD said:
Join date doesn't matter anyway, I've seen plenty of stupid people that joined before '07 and I've seen plenty of smart people that joined even in '08.
It's a good indicator of someone's experience, regardless of how intelligent they may post. He's saying that he joined back in '03, I'd like to see him prove that.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
It's a good indicator of someone's experience, regardless of how intelligent they may post. He's saying that he joined back in '03, I'd like to see him prove that.
Yea, that makes sense, until some noob starts going "zomg i joined b4 u so i is smarter LOL"

Blackshadow

Smash Ace

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Okay, so if I'm a moron, and I made an account four years ago, barely used it, and then started to use it, and then started chewing out people that joined in '08, it'll work because my join date is apparently a good indicator of my experience? Sure it's a wild example, but something like that probably happens on a smaller scale all the time.

Anyway, that just proves that experience doesn't really mean a whole lot, because I joined in '07 and I know tons more than some of the older members here, plus I actually use my brain. So you can have your experience, I'll just stick to knowing what I'm talking about.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
Indicator, my friend. Not guaranteed. I never said there weren't exceptions.
Like I said, that's fine.....but I don't think it's grounds enough to assume intelligence based on join date, because some people actually try to do that.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
knihT has the scrubbiest opinions to ever grace the IC forums. I never saw him around the melee IC forums xD... That must explain why.

Jeez, their current infinites are way harder to do than wobbling, and it's way harder to score grabs now.

These arguments about IC grabs are ********.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
I don't think its grounds enough either. I think join date can, however, indicate their experience, regardless of how intelligent they are. Experience =/= intelligence, as I'm sure you know.
Right, but experience has little to offer in something like Brawl, yet people throw it around anyway like it matters.

Yea, we're clearly not really arguing against each other here :chuckle:

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I love how I was brought into this.

I used IC's only in the grand finals and 1 match the very first set of that tournament. So a total of 5 games I believe. Sure I never lost with them, but thats because I only use them for counterpicks.

IC's have many bad match-up's and stages.

Want to know how to beat Ice Climbers? Pick moving stages. Pick characters with fast projectiles like toon link. Pick heavy characters like snake because they are hard to chaingrab and have amazing range. Yeah, this game has a lot of defensive options, but your opponent can use those options as well. I have perfected the infinites almost. I still cannot beat people on moving stages or characters like Toon Link with Climbers.
That's also true. There are a lot of stages that give the Ice Climbers big trouble, like Rainbow Cruise, which isn't a banned stage, and characters like Toon Link give Ice Climbers so much trouble that it's almost unfair (I've only beaten a toon link with Ice Climbers once before, because he is so good at spacing).

BbqCombo

Smash Apprentice
So camp then :/ camp for 5 seconds and when the ICs are separated, rush in and KILL NANA . Shes stupid and wont shield or do anything unless she's close to popo so shes basically like a lvl 1 com without popo. Also, i believe almost ALL of saumus' attacks outspace ICs grabrange so use that to your advantage. If they get close , use an AAA combo, jump, do SOMETHING to get away from them or OF COURSE you're going to get grabbed. Its not that complicated :/

Pi

Smash Hero
http://smashboards.com/member.php?u=16111

That was my account when I was...12? Something like that. I don't remember the password, and the e-mail got canceled ages ago. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove any way. I was a little kid when I made that account, and acted accordingly, I cared about the RPG game more than smash at the time, but there it is, join date '04, and only active for 4 days. I think that was my first account, but I had others to play the rpg game.

I'll just shut up until a pro gets 3 stocked by an IC who CG'd him all three times. Hylian, sorry, I thought you did more matches as IC.

Join date doesn't mean anything, how about all the pro melee players who didn't even have accounts here, does that make them less experienced? Or the ones who signed up late, or never post.

I'm not saying these things because I lost to IC, I'm saying them because I THOUGHT the CG was more viable than it actually is. Since you all say it's so hard to set up and preform that it makes it pretty much impossible to use to win a match. I was just making assumptions about future matches being reduced to camping for 8 minutes then dodging bombs to win. But since it's humanly impossible to set up the CG and preform it to get the kill, I guess there's no worries.

GofG

Smash Champion
So, I don't know if the OP left or what, but I would be glad to play him in some online matches, show him what he's doing wrong, tell him how to space so as to avoid being grabbed, record matches and give him time stamps and say "You should have done this instead of this, you wouldn't have been grabbed", and then show him videos of Rob vs Ice Climbers, demonstrating how the Rob kept the pressure on and kept Nana and Popo separated so that even if Popo got a grab he would have to wait an absurd amount of time for Nana to catch up and realize what was going on, and then I would show him how alt-grabbing can mess up easily, and then I would show him Chudat's wobbling against Azen's Capt in Melee and tell him that Alt grabbing is MORE DIFFICULT than that, and Wobbling wasn't banned in most tournaments anyway, and besides, Alt grabbing has more room for error.

And then I would link him here: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/introducing-the-scrub/

And then, since he's already read that because EVERYONE should have already read that, I would link him here: http://www.sirlin.net/ptw/intermediates-guide/what-should-be-banned/ (What should be banned) and since he hasn't read that already even though everyone should, he might learn something new about WHAT MAKES A GAME BROKEN BEYOND BELIEF. And if he thought that Brawl was a competitive game in the first place, even though it has backwards progression and is a camp-based game and Melee was an infinitely superior game, then maybe he would understand that it would be a good thing to have the ability to gimp kill, that that might reintroduce an element of skill into the game where there was none before, and since the ice climber infinite requires skill to place, unlike wobbling which just takes a grab, maybe he would accept the fact that the ice climber infinite does not break the game.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
@Side note

Hand on hip.
Tiara.
Fluffy clothing.

Simple things he could change to avoid. I think I'll make a new sig, though, one bashing ice climbers. Especially if the 0-death CG's aren't banned in tournies I attend.
1. Hand on hip, anyone does that, it just is treated in our culture as a sign of effeminity.
2. The tiara is in remembrance of a dead one, besides, he's "prince" marth.
3. Who's fluffy? If u mean compared to sloppy Ike's clothing (sorry Ike players) then sure, but he has armor, and u need to look good for owning ppl.

Me proud of maining Marth and Luc.

Finch

Smash Lord
Lol I think you've got the point but I just want to say one last thing: no one play ics because they just want to win. Play to win people pick up snake or MK for easy wins. Playing ice climbers and winning is like the hardest thing to do in the game. I play them because it's fun, not because I just want to win tournaments with them. MK still owns them as do a lot of characters.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
knihT redeemed himself with his last post. Good job.

Even though they are infinite, the difficulty to setup and perform automatically keeps them unbanned.

DDD wall infinites and Ness/Lucas regrabs are another story.

(Haha, that's not to say I wouldn't use them if people didn't ban them. Yes, I'm that cruel. Corneria, here we come!)

Top Bottom