• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To the Elite Tourneydudes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Takalth

Smash Ace
The solution that always existed is still there for those who want items-on tournaments. HOST YOUR OWN TOURNAMENT.

The reason that items are off in tournaments is because those who are willing to go through the time, effort, and cost of hosting tournaments want them that way. We don't have a hired group of Smash Ninjas who find people hosting tournaments and go crash the house if they permit items to be on. Nobody will lock your tournament thread because it says "Items=on" in the title.

In truth, a lot of competitive players (including me) would go to an items-on tournament if it was in our area and at a reasonable price (more randomness means that we'll put less money on the line). We have fun with items.
As long as those who favor items aren't willing to go through the work of setting up tournaments, they have little room to complain.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Items are fine, but they do not bring out who has best control over a given character. Items pull the focus away from character refinement and more on nuclear stockpiling. They do add depth, but the explosions are what did them in long ago.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
you must not fighting games too much, dood, if you like having items in the game. as it has been said, items take away focus from the control of the character and add more into who can grab items faster, as they do unbalance the characters more if one person has a hammer and the other a fan, just as an example. also, there is the randomness factor within the items, making it unfair. 2 people can pick up poke balls at the same time and throw them. one person has, let's say, Zapdos. the other has...well...Goldeen. i went to an items tourney, and that happened to me. it didn't cost me the match, but it was still unfair and annoying, and had NOTHING to do with a difference in skill between the two of us. i beat him with items on, and massacred him with them off. also, whoever has a faster footspeed has a significant advantage, as they have the ability to travel the stage over to pick and choose their items, allowing them to spam more than the other player. again, when trying to judge who's better at a game, like tournaments are supposed to do, the items in most, if not all cases, come close to negating skill factor and just who can throw more of them faster.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
When you're playing for money you don't want **** like a random capsules landing on your attacks. You don't want stages where random crap happens and screws you over, nor do you want certain characters to have a huge advantages over others on other stages.

This is why things are the way they are. Yes it may not be as 'fun' as a FFA with items on high, but it's better for skill than seeing who can abuse stages with character X while avoiding exploding capsules.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
How exactly do you justify stages and settings like Final Destination with no items more skillful than Default settings on any stage?

If you think about it for more than a few seconds, you cant really count in the random factor in regards to item spawning or maps throwing things at people, because its equally random for all parties playing, and will statistically even out over the course of a match.

At the moment it seems like the tournament community in Smash consists of people who cant handle the "random" effects.

Its not bashing, its not Trolling, id like an answer and if possible a discussion.
Statistically, equal random events will even out over a long period of time. It will not, however, even out over the course of a match where there could be as few as a dozen item spawns.

Even something as simple as flipping a coin won't even out that easily. Go flip a coin for yourself twelve times. How many are heads, and how many are tails?

Now do it five more times, and see how great the total difference is.

That's when there are only two possible options. Not like smash, in which there are many variables, not to mention the two players that are even greater variables.

Add in the fact that character speed and item throw speed are generally correlational and we can't determine the item spawn points and you've got a lot of randomization coming into play.

Randomization is a big deal in competitive play. With a lot of randomization in gameplay, tournament victories worth thousands of dollars can become as random as the coin flips you did earlier, or even worse, one-sided.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
To the people saying that we should find another fighting game if we don't want items - As far as I know, the is no other game like smash. SSB uses an extremely unique style of fighting which is the reason we play it.

amirite?

RedKnight

Smash Ace
Items are fine for me, since Im not a Pro and I haven't been in a tournament before

I usually play withthem on low, and I think thet add more depth and strategy, but the ONE and only part of items I disagree with is unidentifiable exploding crates

Im glad they are now labeled

Sundown

Smash Journeyman
Elusive Taco, play the game however the *** you want to, and stop making stupid topics that have been made a million times already.

If you believe items make it fair, and add depth to the game, host your own tournaments and lets see how many people go... it has been said already a thousand times, host your own god dammed tournaments and stop complaining about the way we host ours.

dotpwn

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i think this discussion happened what... when did the melee come out? Second only to F***in advanced techs are ghey threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom