• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Spoil or Not To Spoil

KieRanaRan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KieRanaRan
3DS FC
0662-3728-1857
If youre telling me that youre not going to see the full roster before the due-date, youre lying to me
I'm not going to see the full roster before the due date.

... seriously it's not that hard to do.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
I told myself last time that I wasn't going to watch any of the released Brawl footage when it came out in Japan. That lasted about 3 days lol. Then I had to go watch stuff. I assume it'll be the same for this one.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I told myself last time that I wasn't going to watch any of the released Brawl footage when it came out in Japan. That lasted about 3 days lol. Then I had to go watch stuff. I assume it'll be the same for this one.
I admire your self control

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I will spoil myself with every little bit of info intentionally. Except unlock methods. I'll look those up when I get frustrated.

Nintendrone

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Nintendrone42
3DS FC
2535-3781-8442
Switch FC
SW 3369 4102 5813
There is absolutely no way I can intentionally restrict my internet access for 3 weeks. So yeah, I'm gonna spoil stuff. Preferably without unlock methods, though.:4pacman:

spader13

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to not spoil myself on everything, but I probably will. When X and Y leaked, I managed to avoid most of the megastone information, but I was trying to find footage of the early part of the game, and ended up seeing almost all the new Pokemon except for like 8 of them by mistake.

I'd assume something similar would happen for Smash where I'd want to watch some Smash Run information and information on the one player modes if Sakurai doesn't reveal it first, but the video I choose would have a bunch of unlocked characters, if not the full roster.

As a result, I'm expecting to spoil myself on the character roster, but I think I'll be able to avoid a decent amount of stage spoilers and how to unlock the characters and stages.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856
In a game that focuses on story and whatnot I can hold it. But for Smash I can give less of a **** so I'll spoil myself rotten there.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
While I usually try to avoid spoilers for most games, I just gotta know how everyone feels about the new smash game. I gotta know those modes and characters. :D

DaDavid

Just Another Sword User
NNID
DaDavidEffect
Switch FC
SW-7381-1262-2246
In a game that focuses on story and whatnot I can hold it. But for Smash I can give less of a **** so I'll spoil myself rotten there.
This is pretty much what it comes down to for me. As much as I love the feeling of unlocking a character or stage or whatever for the first time, without any prior knowledge of their presence in the game, at the end of the day it's not going to be what sticks with me.

The countless hours of gameplay are, so I may as well know what it is exactly that I'll be playing so I can imagine while I wait.

nuclearneo577

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to try and avoid spoiling anything for about a week, just so that most websites can have a final confirmed roster and stage list. After that, I'm probably going to try and not spoil anything, although I'm bound to fail unless I fall into a StarCraft 2 slump and don't talk to any of my friends on Steam or something like that.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty bad when it comes to spoilers, but considering it's only a 3 week wait I'm going to make an honest effort to avoid the spoilers and pretty much the internet altogether. I mean, I avoided spoiling the Brawl roster without even trying, it should only be relatively difficult.
(I'll probably end up finding out at least half of the unlockables by time it gets released)

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
I revel in spoilers. I can't go a single TvTropes page without spoiling one thing. I spoil things I don't even play or watch. I invariably read all of the white spoiler boxes when I'm reading a page.

I'll have the same problem with Smash and I'll enjoy the hell out of it when I do so.

That is, if my other games don't get in the way of me doing so. Curse you Steam. Curse you and your wallet emptying Summer Sales.

Last edited:

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
If you've seen the gameatsu leak, theres a strong chance youve seen the roster already

pants name guy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5386-7849-1985
I want to stay away from unlocking methods at best. Had it been a worldwide simultaneous release, I'd definitely hold myself back until I was done trying to get everyone. I'm way too anxious, though, for Jiggs and the Captain and everyone else to wait three enetire weeks, though.

$$$ammy

Smash Rookie
I want to stay away from unlocking methods at best. Had it been a worldwide simultaneous release, I'd definitely hold myself back until I was done trying to get everyone. I'm way too anxious, though, for Jiggs and the Captain and everyone else to wait three enetire weeks, though.
I think I might not spoil myself with unlock methods as well. I know that I definitely wont be able to hold back regarding the roster but maybe I can at least have a little bit of a surprise when a someone's unlocked.

Second Power

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0774-5502-4430
It'd be so awesome if I could avoid spoilers, I'd feel like a child again unlocking characters and being surprised by all of them..

However, WILL is my dump stat.

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
I want to see the reactions of people whose character of choice didn't make the cut, so yeah... I'm spoiling myself.

Neoriceisgood

Smash Cadet
I'm gonna largely avoid visual spoilers for stuff like hidden stages/content, however
I'm not gonna go out of my way to avoid character spoilers. My frequent use of art
sites & social media makes avoiding big time character spoilers very tricky; so I'd
rather get that part out of the way rather than get annoyed when someone spoils
a character by accident.

MrGameandBalls

Smash Apprentice
Guys, it's not that hard to stay away from the spoilers! I'll still go on the internet, but wiil avoid youtube. I'm only going on one certain news site (Nintendolife, I'm 100% sure that I won't get spoilt there) and then when I get the game, unlocking characters I didn't expect (hopefully Gematsu isn't true so that it's still a suprise, but even if it IS true I will still be pretty suprised I guess. :/) and it feels so good unlocking characters that you didnt know would be in.

Last edited:

BindingBlade

Smash Lord
Guys, it's not that hard to stay away from the spoilers! I'll still go on the internet, but wiil avoid youtube. I'm only going on one certain news site (Nintendolife, I'm 100% sure that I won't get spoilt there) and then when I get the game, unlocking characters I didn't expect (hopefully Gematsu isn't true so that it's still a suprise, but even if it IS true I will still be pretty suprised I guess. :/) and it feels so good unlocking characters that you didnt know would be in.
I'm counting and Gematsu and to me that means the roster is already spoiled.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm gonna attempt to not look at them... and then check them out 15 minutes later.

AirFair

Marth tho
If I avoid spoilers, it's probably gonna be the unlock methods. I really want to look at all of this other information tho, like the characters and info that might be revealed over the next 2 months

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
If anything, I'm more interested in a spoiler-free list of unlock methods. So if I get stuck, I can find out how to unlock every character and stage, without knowing what I will get.

Agualitos

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna attempt to not look at them... and then check them out 15 minutes later.
Hahaha! This is me exactly! Happens all the time! For eliminations of my favorite TV show, ending of Legend of Zelda games (or any video game), and soon to be for the super smash roster spoilers! Lol, I guess you can say i'm impatient :awesome:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I know me, I won't avoid spoilers. I dunno if I'll be actively LOOKING for them (Who am I kidding?)

If I wanted no spoilers at all I'd probably not be on this website to begin with or watching the PotD's

Hokori

Great King of Evil

I can guarantee you this is how I will be feeling. Give me all of the details, I don't care. Personally, I can still find pleasure in unlocking things although I know what's coming. I've waited and have been teased for too long.

It's not a challenge to stay away from spoilers in my opinion. It's more of a matter on whether or not you want to be spoiled.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace

I can guarantee you this is how I will be feeling. Give me all of the details, I don't care. Personally, I can still find pleasure in unlocking things although I know what's coming. I've waited and have been teased for too long.

It's not a challenge to stay away from spoilers in my opinion. It's more of a matter on whether or not you want to be spoiled.
The moment that game is out I will be farming for roster data. Who got in? Who didn't? To me that'll be just interesting as unlocking them myself.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
The moment that game is out I will be farming for roster data. Who got in? Who didn't? To me that'll be just interesting as unlocking them myself.
Pretty much. I haven't been speculating for nothing, I'd like to see what's going on the moment info becomes available.

Morbi

Scavenger
Pretty much. I haven't been speculating for nothing, I'd like to see what's going on the moment info becomes available.
I suppose this is the mentality I should have regardless of whether or not I want to create "fond" memories of the game. I will always have Ganondorf, Mewtwo, Falco, and Young Link for Melee; Wolf, Jigglypuff and Toon Link for Brawl. Some of my most wanted newcomers were already revealed. So what the hell, I am just going to spoil everything!

ChunkyBeef

Smash Lord
NNID
Beeferin
3DS FC
2363-5923-1853
All things considered, I think Sakurai's learned his lesson from Brawl. Feel free to spoil yourself rotten on what information we DO have, 'cause there's likely to be far, FAR more than he's let us on about.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
Definitely spoiling the roster, and probably the stages too. When it comes to a game like Smash Bros., I don't care all that much for spoiling myself on those type of things.
I just hope the unlock requirements aren't ridiculous. Having to play 500 matches just to unlock a character would be a pain.

Drowzee64

Smash Cadet
NNID
drowzee64
3DS FC
2895-6543-6932
After learning basically everything about Brawl from the official website and feeling like there were no surprises left when I actually got the game, I'm probably not going to actively seek out information on items/assist trophies/stages/game modes/etc.

But the official roster will probably be everywhere, so I'll bite the bullet and look that up before someone on reddit or my tumblr dashboard posts it where I can see it. I have to know if my faves made it in, damnit!

I don't think it matters too much either way though, I mean it's a fighting game that's likely not going to have much in the way of story line.

Last edited:

Katty Shepherd

Smash Ace
Definitely spoiling the roster, and probably the stages too. When it comes to a game like Smash Bros., I don't care all that much for spoiling myself on those type of things.
I just hope the unlock requirements aren't ridiculous. Having to play 500 matches just to unlock a character would be a pain.
When me and my brother were trying to unlock a certain stage or character we would play one or two minute matches. So that we would get through the quota fast.

Top Bottom