• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Smash, or not to smash?

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
It seems like Smash has been into everyone's life wether it's to support their favorite character, or just because it's fun. But, can there really be too much smashing? I mean, I know they say, the more you eat something of the same thing, the more likely you'll get sick of it, but can it relate to this as well?

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Welcome. Here are some links to get you started.

Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

:starman:Click here for the Freemium Raffle.:starman:

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @KMZ || WolfieXVII, @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
Welcome. Here are some links to get you started.

Welcome to

Click here to find out if there's a scene in your area.

Check out Premium for added features and fun.

:starman:Click here for the Freemium Raffle.:starman:

Click here for the Forum Directory.

For online matches try one of the following links:
Check out the respective character boards for helpful tips.
Character guides can be found here.

Before you post please check out the Global Rules.

Keep up to date with the latest news here.
Light House is for general gaming discussions.
Check out the Pool Room to talk about Smash, life, sports, or whatever is on your mind.
Click here to socialize and have fun.

If you need any assistance, don't hesitate to ask one of our friendly staff members. If you have site related questions, you can post them in this thread.

Props: Made by @KMZ || WolfieXVII, @Trieste SP @ Cyn Cyn and @Hong

:starman: Name changes :starman: Bigger avatar and signature :starman:
:starman: Post backgrounds
:starman:
:starman: Enjoy Premium-exclusive forum and giveaways :starman:
:starman: Support the Smash community and sign up today! :starman:
Wowe, that's a huge advertisement.

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
It's meant mainly to help new people navigate. Looking at your profile, you aren't exactly new so I guess you don't need it :)
Thank you, that's very thoughtful and I appreciate it anyway. :3

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
In my opinion, yes. Playing Smash too often eventually does become tedious, which is when I decide to do other things, like playing Splatoon and Mario Kart for example.

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
In my opinion, yes. Playing Smash too often eventually does become tedious, which is when I decide to do other things, like playing Splatoon and Mario Kart for example.
I know what you mean, like before there wasn't much other than 3d world (which honestly, beatable in a couple of days), but I'm glad Splatoon came out, it's like a fresh of breath air.

Wreckarooni

Smash Apprentice
It seems like Smash has been into everyone's life wether it's to support their favorite character, or just because it's fun. But, can there really be too much smashing? I mean, I know they say, the more you eat something of the same thing, the more likely you'll get sick of it, but can it relate to this as well?
People just have different thresholds to their passion/obsession (for you it may also be something other than Smash); and I'd say about 85% of people who start playing smash seriously give up or lose interest. People like M2K and Mango will play Melee until their hands fall off while others will lose interest at the first ache or sign of discouragement.

You will of course be rewarded for dedication, passion, and time invested. But, it works much slower (or not at all) if you have to force it.

My problem in Melee is that I main too many characters because I love learning each character's advanced techs and combos (and I tire of using only 1 character). It sort of helps me since people can't pull out 8 different characters like I can at tournaments, but it's probably much better to focus your efforts and master 1 or 2 characters instead of spreading one's skill across so many.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I know what you mean, like before there wasn't much other than 3d world (which honestly, beatable in a couple of days), but I'm glad Splatoon came out, it's like a fresh of breath air.
Oh, you do? I don't really have any friends to play any offline co-op or multiplayer games, so I'm glad that Splatoon was there to give me a bit more variety in online gaming.

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
People just have different thresholds to their passion/obsession (for you it may also be something other than Smash); and I'd say about 85% of people who start playing smash seriously give up or lose interest. People like M2K and Mango will play Melee until their hands fall off while others will lose interest at the first ache or sign of discouragement.

You will of course be rewarded for dedication, passion, and time invested. But, it works much slower (or not at all) if you have to force it.

My problem in Melee is that I main too many characters because I love learning each character's advanced techs and combos (and I tire of using only 1 character). It sort of helps me since people can't pull out 8 different characters like I can at tournaments, but it's probably much better to focus your efforts and master 1 or 2 characters instead of spreading one's skill across so many.
I feel ya, like on Smash 4, I try using almost every character to learn placements and get the feel of their animations so I can predict when my opponent will land a hit. I just don't like Rob and Zero Suit, those are the only two characters I can't play or face off. But like you said about the "reward coming in slower (or not even at all)." Like I feel like I've reached my peak and I can't get any better, I see that but maybe like I said before, I just need a breather or two.

Reny Aclerad

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4012-5142-2030
Switch FC
2485-2726-3893
Oh, you do? I don't really have any friends to play any offline co-op or multiplayer games, so I'm glad that Splatoon was there to give me a bit more variety in online gaming.
Don't worry Frizz, I can be a friend to play online Co-op with you. :3

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
Saying I can Smash for a long time is a huge understatement. Whether its playing with my friends, playing against CPUs, training in Training Mode, trying out and mastering every character, trying out custom specials, training amiibos, going online and getting destroyed, staring at trophies, gambling in Trophy Rush, listening to its wonderful soundtrack, taking pictures, watching replays, attempting to make stages in Stage Builder, gambling in Special Orders, attempting to complete all the god-forsaken in-game challenges, making Mii Fighters, deleting Mii Fighters so I could make more Mii Fighters, watching Mii Fighters fight one another, or grinding for custom specials in Classic Mode over and over and over and over and over again in the 3DS version...I spend a lot of time in Smash. But eventually, I'll get frustrated or tired and play something else. Thinking about it, I mostly play Smash Bros by myself...

Top Bottom