• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To buy or not to buy: A Wii U Buyer's Guide

Booster

Smash Lord
(Title brought to you by a ****ty pun and Shakespear) There are tons of pros and cons to buying a Wii U, it's a pretty good system, but like the Wii and Gamecube (Especially Cube) it has some downsides to it unfortunately.

Wii U has some pretty good exclusives. Virtual Console games (Mostly exclusive, Contra can be gotten on 360 with Online Multiplayer support) with HD support, they are reformatted from their retro version to look good on your big screen HD TV and Gamepad for Off Screen play. We have Earthbound, Super Mario Bros 3, Legend of Zelda Link to the Past, Legend of Zelda Minish Cap and eventually N64 games.

That's another thing, N64's controller is one of the worst in console gaming, even back then they were difficult to use according to my cousins (Who were born before me of course) and nowadays they're a nightmare with Joysticks breaking. Joystick repairmen/women charge $15 per controller repaired. Well, N64 Emulation on Wii U will allow you to use a Classic Controller (Maybe some other ones) which is much more durable, conventionally designed controllers and joysticks that don't break easily.

Wii U also has some great games of it's own. Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, The definitive version of Smash 4, Mario Kart 8, Wonderful 101, Sonic Lost World ("But that game got **** reviews for Sonic moving slow", unless you have super fast reflexes and play FPS games on PC at 120 fps, Sonic goes fast enough at his ingame ZL speed at 60 fps, if he went any faster I'd have a ****ing headache) and will be getting other great titles.

The Youtube app is also great. You can type using touchscreen which is friendlier then the UI of PS3 and 360 (Don't know about PS4 and Xboner) and while you're watching the video, you can look for another one to watch using Gamepad or watch it on Gamepad and even has auto start. It's what Netflix on Wii U should've been (We'll talk about Netflix later)

You can also watch Game Trailers and Nintendo Directs in 1080p without lag or downloading, something the 360 and PS3 cannot do. The system is also a multitasker. You can use the Internet app while leaving your game running in the background to look up when you need to look up. For example, I was looking up the amount of IQ Jeff needs to have to repair items, I found what I needed and went back to my game, all within 5 minutes, something my outdated piece of **** PC cannot do, you can leave a game running in the background with an emulator sure, but if you have a mom who refuses to upgrade the computer (or atleast buy the parts and have a technician build), then your PC is going to be slow after emulating the hardware pushing PS1/32 bit software and you can't look up what you need quickly (I'm not joking).

You can also leave your game running in the background while watching Nintendo Directs. Pretty cool. However I'm not going to lie, it's not a perfect game system and does have some cons.

The Netflix App on Wii U is terrible. No Max, No Auto Start for shows (Which is a pain in the piss hole, not pain in the ass, pain in the less is less) and the menus are slow, which is weird because PS3 Netflix had quicker menus and Wii U is a slightly stronger system (Have you played your Mario Kart 8 on your Nintendo today?). The only thing that saves me from just using my Xbox360 to watch Netflix is that the visual quality on shows is much better then 360 or PS3.

Wii U also can't play DVDs, Bluray Discs or music CDs...what the ****? Xbox360 can do it and people love to have custom soundtracks in their videogames nowadays and a standalone Bluray player sucks, they're too expensive and all they can do is watch movies, it's a Unitasker, it can only do ONE thing and you don't want any of that **** in this day and age (Unitasker definition coined by Alton Brown: A appliance/electronic that can only do one thing. Takes up too much space for what it does).

Okay fine, I'd be fine with Wii U not playing music CDs or allowing custom music, I'd even be fine that it didn't play Bluray discs, but the fact it can't play DVDs is pretty bad. Want to watch a movie with friends? Then go buy yourself a ****ing PS3, it's the cheapest Bluray/DVD player combo on the market and it can play games. When will Nintendo figure out people want DVD/Bluray/CD capabilities on videogame consoles? It's been nearly 14 years since DVD has been invented and 8 since Bluray was invented, they're great at making games, but they can't think outside of the box.

Wii U, obviously, is also a weaker console, which not only makes it harder to make games for the system due to outdated technology, but it also turns 3rd party developers away from the Wii U, resulting in Game Droughts. Wii U had a massive game drought a little while ago, next year appears to be a year full of Wii U game releases, but how long can they keep this up for once PS4 and Xboner begin getting exclusives/Better games?

I still suggest if you haven't bought one yet to buy a Wii U, it comes with great games, a great Xbox Live Arcade knock off market and there's no Kinect!

Top Bottom