• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To anyone who says Link is not a beast in Brawl: Video evidence to the contrary.

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I guess you're just basing this off of speculation, and apparently biased speculation at that. DDD's speed is also garbage, he lacks basic combos and has 0 combos into finishers as far as we've seen. Besides, we don't even know what concepts will hold the most important in this game.

Also, I would amicably suggest that you watch videos and, given the chance, play as characters yourself so you can form your own assessments. The Montage crew and gimpyfish aren't to be taken as concrete sources for character rankings, they are only people. Tournaments and time determine how good characters are, so don't wave Marth and Toony around as the "set in stone" elite characters just yet.
Funny, I was going to say the EXACT same thing, XD.

:3

Grining_Ghoul

Smash Apprentice
Perhaps I can help clarify some of this. I think the turn this thread has taken is kind of dumb, so maybe I can emphasize the point of all this.

To reiterate, Pope is not saying Link is amazing because I beat him or because I'm a better player. Not only was this like the second time he's ever played the game, but who's to say if Link has an advantage against the pokemon? We don't know yet, although we can see things early on (clawshot eating projectiles, for example).

The point is to show that the new Link is quite capable, more than most people give him credit for (I could say the same with Ike as well). I do not plan to main Link (but I will continue using him), and before we recorded this I had very little training with him. Anything you see me doing with Link in those videos were ideas formed in my mind before even getting to practice with Link, so I'm pretty sure I could do much more with him in time.

Another thing, people do not need to be skilled players in order to understand important concepts about what makes a character good. Likewise, people can be capable of all the wavedashing and l-canceling in the world (Melee obviously) and still not know a rat's turd about what makes a character good. Having combos and chain throws and being fast do not make a good character. They can help, but ultimately the things that make a good character fall under other attributes. I won't get into that here, I'd have to spend a while explaining and I don't want to take the time and have it fall on deaf ears.

I probably won't post here again, because chances are if you still don't get it after that, you'll continue to argue and I really don't want to get involved. I'm just hoping this will help to clear some stuff up.

And lastly, to all who were disappointed about Link supposedly "sucking" in Brawl, don't fret. He's still great, you just have to play with him differently and not like Melee.
Most sensible thing said since this thread started to go the way of the character bashing!

:3

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
Well, yet again, I'm not saying Link is top tier. I'm saying he's good, much better than he's being given credit for.

If anyone understood it differently, it's because hyperboles are lost on them.

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
"I'm going to try and act cool, and say this isn't any good. Maybe the TC was just hyperbolizing as a means to express the fact that Link is better than he is being given credit for, but I still am going to choose to post as if I know an ounce about competitive smash and say that none of what is in the video is 'out of the ordinary', yet I will make no effort to explain what the 'ordinary' is."

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
POPE! I AGREE WITH YOU simply you were letting good link videos be shown!

I deal with the *******ish people on the forums kinda toon them out unless there point is suppose to be mentioned in the thread or just trying to tell people something important and not getting off topic !

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
HDL (Link) VS Pope (PT)
HDL (Link) VS Pope (PT) 2
HDL (Link) VS Pope (PT) 3
HDL (Link) VS Pope (Olimar)

I found HDL's basically newborn Link to be pretty effective relative to everything that can be found on youtube as of yet. I've heard a lot of talk about Link not receiving many buffs, and essentially being worse (gimpyfish and the montage crew people), and it's all just wrong. Link is going to be a force. Clawshot is as broken as Skarmbliss.

HDL, if you read this, hope you don't mind me making a topic about this. I just thought the people should know the truth.
SkarmBliss?

PopeOfChiliTown

Smash Ace
****, that Link is nasty!

This just proves that Brawl doesn't have bad characters like other fighters do, or even like Mewtwo was in Melee. People just can't use anybody yet.
Well, I wouldn't say this proves that. I'd say it proves Link is a character with many options. However, there do seem to be bad characters in Brawl, like, at least from what I can assess, Bowser, Yoshi, and DK. Don't take that to heart though, I may be wrong in the long run (and I hope I am).

SkarmBliss?

SkarmBliss refers to Pokemon teams that use a combination of Skarmory to wall physical attacks and Blissey to wall special attacks. It's widely considered dominant and a staple to most teams (though not invincible of course), hence why I used it in my initial hyperbole.

xc_hawk

Smash Rookie
Haha, that's awesome gaplka.

Skarmbliss is old, Blisselia (or however you'd spell that) is what all the cool kids use.

ShadowLink84

Smash Hero
Haha, that's awesome gaplka.

Skarmbliss is old, Blisselia (or however you'd spell that) is what all the cool kids use.
Blisselia?
Isn't cresselia also a special wall more so than a physical wall?
Grante dI can udnerstand considering Lunar dance.

I prefer skarmbliss mainly since iwth the inclusion of shed shell skarm doesn't fear magneton anymore.

Top Bottom