• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To any "low tier" players

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Would you still play melee if the game was literally only the 8 top tiers (fox falco marth sheik falcon peach puff ics)
Also who would you play?
I put low tier in quotation marks cause most "low tier" players main something mid tier at worst. Usually just going with high tiers.

Last edited:

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
hello, my name name is comet7, and i'm a pichu user. i'd probably use falco since his combos look really cool and lasers are hard yet amazing to use. i actually play fox more, but my pichu usually does better than it does (lol), and i only picked him up to improve myself as a player.

ChainArmour712

Smash Cadet
As a Link main, I'd probably say that I'd still play Melee for its unique qualities but admittedly only high tiers would reduce some of my enthusiasm for the game. I'd most likely switch to Smash 4 primarily (right now I'm 2/3 Melee and 1/3 Sm4sh) because of the larger character selection it would bring, that's the only reason I play Sm4sh at all. However, Melee is such a better game to watch and play in my opinion that It would still likely see much playtime; that, and the vast majority of tournament matches are already pretty much restricted to the Top 8 anyway so not having the lower characters wouldn't affect high level play as much as some people think. I'd probably end up switching to Sheik or Falcon most likely, since I can't stand Fox or Marth.

Also, it is perhaps a generalization to say players only main mid-tiers at worst; you can probably define over half the roster as mid-tier, so where do you make the cut? There's probably a good difference between maining say Samus or Pika who is pretty high up there (but some call him mid tier due to being outside the Top 8) and someone like DK or Mario who is on the low end of that list. I think that outside the Top 8, character selection for a player is largely based on fanboyism or just having that character work better with the player despite the drawbacks.

kingPiano

Smash Ace
Tiers are relative.

So, if it was only the top 8 then....

Fox, Falco, Marth would be top tier
Sheik, Peach, Puff would be mid tier
and Falcon and ICs would be low tiers

I'd go Falcon.

IdkLmao

Banned via Warnings
I mained falco before switching to mewtwo as a main. So i'd just go back to maining falco again.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Yes but I wouldn't enjoy it nearly as much. I think the rare diversity makes melee truly amazing. Biz taking a game off Armada's fox? Good ****. Plup bopping Leffen? Orgasmic. I love watching creativity in lower tiered characters vs bread and butter S tiers.

Abyssal Lagiacrus

Fly across the high seas and mountains
NNID
LugiaTheGuardian
3DS FC
2981-6257-4399
Even though my :yoshimelee: :ganondorfmelee: main and secondary are low/mid tiers, I would still play Melee if it was only High Tiers because the game itself (mechanics, etc.) is extremely fun. I would go with Captain Falcon.

Last edited:

Team Plasma N

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3952-8297-3456
Not sure if I'd still play. I pretty much play since Link is in it, I've been maining him since N64. If he weren't in the game, I'd probably be focusing a lot more on Mewtwo, but since you said the top 8 tiers, then my choice would probably be Marth.

Dr. Barrio

Smash Rookie
As a Doc main i would still play Melee because of how unique and diverse this game is. Using 8 characters wouldnt be the problem because everyone has a different style to their character.
I would probably use Marth from the top 8 because I used to be a Marth main and he has pretty cool combos

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I play Falcon primarily now so my answer would be Falcon. But I've always had an appreciation for low tier love. I only play Falcon now because his play style is conducive to having a blast, looking rad and kicking butt, all without being ridiculously high tier. Although, I have put more than enough effort into working with lower characters. I believe all your time spent playing the game still contributes to your overall skill through increasing your "virtual comfortability". Usually this is through operating the game in all circumstances.
I have spent more time than I care to admit playing with Ness and Roy. I have a deep love for Ness as a character, I love the Mother game series. I just enjoy Roy as a character because he is visually very cool looking and he has that Marth style of play but without being too good. Dedicating time to these characters is enjoyable, not only because I justify it through some crazy belief its somehow making me generally better, but developing these interesting and diverse strategies to compensate for short comings. I also love playing a character I love. If you enjoy the series your character comes from, you possess a whole other drive to improve at that character.

Lappy

Smash Rookie
I still play the characters that got me into the game, but I would play even if all the characters were wireframes

ilysm

sleepy
Actually found the character I main today by asking myself this question a while ago. I main Icies, but I used to main Ness in every game. I branched out because I felt I was missing out on some diversity, and the eskimos certainly provide diversity! ^_^

Mr. Keebs

Luiginator
NNID
Elf-Master
3DS FC
2921-9429-2474
Well considering my secondary in Melee is Marth, I'd just switch to him from my primary, Luigi.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
Well, I am going to learn how to use Doc. I have little to no experience with Melee. I know the basics, like L cancel, Wave dash, I understand hit boxes and hurtboxes pretty well... I guess I'd use Ic's or Falcon.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
Yea probably, I already secondary a top tier anyway

Top Bottom