• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips vs. Marth?

Celerity668

Smash Rookie
I'm struggling a lot in this MU. The Marth I play against is very patient and will just wall me out until I have to land. In the netural game I try to poke with B-air but he just outspaces me. Any kind of video of a solid match would be appreciated.

magister54

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2882-0961-9677
This is a tough matchup, you just need to punish hard, shield well, and space better than the Marth player. Just because you have had some experiences being outspaced when trying to bair doesn't mean that you shouldn't do that–––you just need to space your bairs better.

Look up any games of a Jigglypuff vs. a Marth and see what you can learn. This game is Hungrybox vs. The Moon. Hungrybox keeps the pressure on Marth and dominates stage control, punishing, and resting to get early kills. But keep in mind you aren't Hungrybox, but you can learn from him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c61Z816vbUA

Massive

Smash Champion
Wavedash OoS is huge vs marth and what makes this match in puff's favor.
If he hits your shield with an fsmash, you wavedash out and it's a free grab/rest/whatever.

His recovery is also very predictable. You can chase him out there and he can't really do anything to you that won't leave him in lag frames for too long to recover. If you stop his horizontal momentum on recovery (especially after dancing sword), he can't get it back and becomes super easy to ledgehog.

Celerity668

Smash Rookie
A few questions:

1. What should be my neutral position?

When I try to run-up shield, he grabs me. When I crouch outside of tipper he wavedash --> fmash or dtilt. My best bet is usually hang around the air and bait out a laggy tilt and jump in, but his anti-aerial game is really strong and he'll usually win the exchanges.

2. How do I land against him?

On a stage with platforms, I try to land on them but his jump --> upair is super fast and covers so much. on FD it's just a nightmare since i usually eat a grab/tilt and the cycle repeats.

AGLET

Smash Cadet
In neutral, he's going to be spacing aerials most likely, which is when you want to run up shield (when he lands with an aerial). Also, if you block a spaced fair/bair/nair make sure you don't try to grab; you can try to nair then fade back or fair or dair or something. If he keeps retreating with aerials, you can just control space with back air. Marth can actually dash grab you when you're crouching so crouching is really only great if you're in front of his shield or just landed with a really late aerial that you can bait him into trying to grab, since these are really the only situations where he'll be a doing a standing grab and you can crouch. It's kind of tricky since he has a huge advantage in neutral, but you should do alright if you punish hard enough.

Landing is really hard, but the best advice is to use your jumps. On FD, you can bait Marth into up airing you and then avoiding with a jump, and that will usually give you some time to land. Also, this might sound obvious, but make sure you look at where Marth is and what he's doing lol. A big part of avoiding getting juggled is reacting to what Marth does since he's the one putting pressure on you. On platform stages, make sure of platform wavelands! You can actually make your movement pretty tricky if you are good at moving on and off of platforms quickly with wavelands.

This is pretty general advice and just stuff I have noticed from playing good Marths, but hopefully it helps you out.

Last edited:

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
There isn't very much I can say that hasn't been said already. However, something cool to do against Marth from the ledge is fair > rest. This is very DI dependent, but damn if it isn't hype when you land it.

Hans wpg

Smash Rookie
also when you get hit DI AWAY from all of his hits and dont worry about dying unless its a tipper or fsmash you shouldn't die from it

Top Bottom