• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on Training Amiibo

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
Post any tips you have on training amiibo fighters. I'll compile them in the OP. :kirby:

-In general, train with the same character or a clone is the best idea.
-Don't try training Little Mac with anyone other than Little Mac. You'll teach it to jump.
-Don't train anyone except from Rosalina herself as Rosalina. The amiibo will end up thinking it has a Luma.
-Make sure to train an amiibo with a counter to know how to use it.
-Let them fight each other, if you have multiple.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
I've heard training Amiibos with Rosalina is a bad idea. Apparently the Amiibo starts registering Lumas attacks on them as really long range jabs, tilts, etc. So they basically start acting as if they have their own Luma and start trying to use close range attacks on you from afar. But it does nothing because they don't have a Luma.

The one exception to the rule will likely be the actual Rosalina Amiibo.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
Umm... make sure to teach characters with counters to counter? Like for training Marth, use Ike, Lucina, Greninja, Lucario, Marth, Shulk, ect., because using Down Specials like Rest or Head On Assault won't register as counters.

Foosedogg

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ponyhater123
I think in general training them with the same character is a good idea, or at least a clone if applicable.
This is why I try to teach my Marth with Lucina or Marth occasionally. I use Greninja or a few others to train him, and to check up on what he's learned, I take Mar-Mar into 2 matches against himself.

Wyntir

Dark Child - 3DS tag online
NNID
Wyntir
3DS FC
4914-5115-4401
I've let mine fight each other. Amazing how well they adapt.

UnsuspectingVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blockyraccoon
3DS FC
0430-8629-1274
I suggest playing as the character the amiibo is; teaching it combo's, setup's, and off-stage crap; and when it​
gets to the level 50 level cap, putting it against all the characters in the game for match-up knowledge. That sounds like a hard amiibo to beat!

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
I trained my Link Amiibo up to level 50 with Rosaluma. It may have thought it had a Luma at some point but it seems to have learned that what works for me doesn't work for it. It still doesn't know how to deal with said luma though. I guess I'll have to demonstrate that to it myself. It might be interesting to let it watch me destroy a CPU Rosalina, and see if it starts using those tactics vs. me.

I will say that the moment I swapped to a new character that I knew well, and that the amiibo hadn't seen me play much before (Zelda), the amiibo suddenly didn't know what to do. Training it against multiple matchups is important I think, especially if you're good with other characters.

I also notice that my amiibo sometimes likes to hang out in the off-camera part of walk-offs (which I punish it for), probably because I'll chase some characters into that area to try and KO them with a dash attack or smash attack.

Also my amiibo doesn't seem to understand vertical distance that well. For example, on Guar Plains I'll be at the top and it'll be on a platform below me and he'll try to use projectile spam. This is probably because I like to play on flat stages a lot. I just stood there with the hopes that it realizes that it wont work.

I think my amiibo is reasonably strong in situations that it has a lot of experience with, but put it in an unfamiliar situation and it doesn't know what to do. Even at level 50 I catch it acting like a noob sometimes, so I guess it still has a lot to learn.

My advice is to just expose your amiibo to a lot of different stuff. It will imitate you a bit, but it wont imitate bad decisions that you make. For example, try as I might I never could train it to SD on purpose. Also I'm pretty sure it'll eventually realize it if a strategy it's using isn't working, as it did eventually cut down on the projectile spam when I started punishing or avoiding it.

In 1v1 my amiibo still gets beaten by me about half the time, unless I show it a new character that I'm good at in which case it gets stomped until it learns. I haven't exposed it to a lot of CPU players (aside from one or two exceptions) but I kinda don't want to, because I don't want it to pick up bad habits.

What I really want to do, when my next 3 amiibo arrive, is reset my Link amiibo and just let all 4 of my amiibos train against each other. I want to see what kind of developments they come up with on their own without human input (outside of, say, stage selection). Link came up with projectile spam on its own, until it realized that I knew how to get around it and now it just uses projectiles sparingly. I've also seen it start using some ATs without me actually ever having to demonstrate them myself. I'd like to see if the amiibos start developing their own meta-game.

Last edited:

elmike

Smash Apprentice
I found this on reddit, didnt save the link. So this is not my mine. But seems like really cool tips:

*************************************************************************************************************

Levels 1-10 have it mirror match a level 9. This will help them develop solid fundamentals.

10-20 Mirror match them yourself, I've found these levels are REALLY important in learning good / bad habits. I had my villager spam f-smash even after reaching lvl 50 after learning it from a falco in these levels. It was so bad I reset him and did it over

20-50 I like to rotate between 4 characters for this training session. First, pick your main and style on them. Next, pick a "ground-based" character who focuses on tilts and grabs. Then, grab an aerial/spacing character. Last, mirror match them yourself to try and teach specific combos, then let them fight a level 9 mirror again.

Using this training method, all 3 of my Amiibos are able to consitently 2-stock a level 9 by the time they hit the low 40s.

Do NOT be afraid to "spot" train the Amiibo. If you notice he isn't using projectiles enough, switch to the mirror and spam the **** out of them.

Things to remember to teach your amiibo

Pummel when grabbing

Different throws at different percents (my villager down throws at low percents, and pummel back throws at high ones)

To grab at all

To use items (don't train TOO much, but def. enough so they can use robs gyro, tree fragment, or pac fruit)

Running Upsmash

Fast Fall Aerials

How to approach/space

Also, be mindful that amiibos do extra damage EVEN IF NEVER FED EQUIPMENT. So Amiibo vs. Amiibo fights are the most fair, but player vs. Amiibo is good training for 2 reasons.

One is that it helps your defensive game, since attacks hit much harder you gotta avoid more. Two is that it helps your punish game, because cpus are so good at dodging and stuff that it'll encourage you to "push" your punishes.

GodOfSocks

Smash Journeyman
-Wrecklessly include them in all battles
-Watch them eventually learn how to destroy a stock withim a short period of time
-Watch them accidentally SD afterwards
-Realize that's surprisingly similar to how I play

SagaTheMeow

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SagaTheNetwork
3DS FC
4399-1366-7597
I just got 6 amiibos and put them all together to beat the crap out of each other from lv1.

The result?

Now my attack/def peach with fast shield recovery / explosive shield / easy perfect shield is owning everyone else with diff and vaied builds in such brutal ways i feel sorry for my other amiibos.

In a 99 minute match Peach will easily go up to the 300+ kills while everyone else has 40 to 60.

I have created a monster.

...also, my Yoshi is near useless and more often than not ends with 10 kills at most.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I taught Samus mainly with Greninja because I suck with Samus lol

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
If you are putting any custom moves on your amiibo, remember to add them to yourself too! I bought a Pikachu amiibo today and equipped it with Thunder Burst while I used regular thunder, and it tried to use it while I was in midair, thinking it had the same thunder as myself.

Also, teach your amiibo not to use ledge attacks. Don't know if anyone else experienced this, but my Pikachu would do one of these nearly every single time he got up from the ledge, and I had to keep sheilding and punishing to get him to stop. Now he's smart enough not to do them anymore, neat! :bee:

And this is probably me, but I'm personally against the idea of using amiibos against CPUs for training it, at least not until it gets to level 25 where it can start beating them easily. CPU AI in this game is still pretty flawed and have awful habits that shouldn't work on competent humans. I tried it and my Pikachu tries to use Quick Attack and Skull Bash offensively for some reason, and I think it picked it up from fighting CPU pikachus. You teachin' my chu' to get spanked?

elmike

Smash Apprentice
is it possible for an amiibo NOT to learn doing perfect air dodge/roll? (at level 50)

Rochette

Smash Cadet
is it possible for an amiibo NOT to learn doing perfect air dodge/roll? (at level 50)
Yes, you just have to punish him to do that. I think he learn that from CPU.

I train my Kirby in slow speed special smash. Usefull for teaching some combos, follow-up.

I also let my Kirby Amiibo fight against my Pikachu Amiibo (trained against the whole cast 15 minutes per characters AFTER his lv 50). Kirby lv50 (fresh) was outclassed. They also acting weird. They starting to stare each other and when one move, he was punished.

My kirby learn how to avoid my combo but he has difficulties to do them...

Joe73191

Smash Journeyman
How do you make the amiibo not learn in a particular fight or stop learning. I mean if it always learns then it is NEVER okay to fight a fox amiibo with rosalina.

Munomario777

Smash Master
3DS FC
0387-9596-4480
Switch FC
SW-8229-3157-8114
How do you make the amiibo not learn in a particular fight or stop learning. I mean if it always learns then it is NEVER okay to fight a fox amiibo with rosalina.
You could just not save its progress by hitting B on the scan prompt screen after a session, but you wouldn't get rewards that way, either.

Rochette

Smash Cadet
I have learn a mistake I've done in the training of my Kirby.

NEVER save a match if your amiibo died by a spike on his last stock. Because he learn how to spike but don't learn that he have to return on the stage after that !

Edigital23

Smash Rookie
NNID
Edigital23
3DS FC
4253-3504-1896
Mirror match is a great idea. Ill try that with some of my amiibos.

Last edited:

HighRoller_62

Smash Rookie
I trained my first amiibo (Mario) with a mix of 1v1 mirror as myself, until about Lv30, then i trained it with every character i could as myself and from there went with lv9 CPU with characters i couldn't. He ended up being a tank, where he beat anything i put in front of him, including me and my friends.

So, out of curiosity, i wondered if he would make a good teacher for my other amiibo as i got them. i put him up against each of my amiibo one on one as they got to ~lv30. Well, they all learned pretty well, some even got close to par with him to the point where i almost feel as if im not needed anymore. Even more surprisingly, my Mario has yet to learn any horrible habits from them, in fact i'd say he's getting even better with the work. I've done this method for about 10+ amiibo now, and occasionally i'll add a particularly tough one into the training rotation (mega man has his air attacks down so well that i dont bother anymore with them, as he just smacks me around like a ping pong ball)

As for my Mario, he's getting increasingly harder to stump, he can 2 stock any character i put in front of him (human or not), and he understands the ins and outs of most stages. Group battles haven't been an issue, he holds his own and never gets tunnel vision where you can surprise him by attacking while he's distracted. Strangely enough, he never had the imaginary Luma syndrome that i'm always hearing about, or even that a couple of my amiibos had for a stretch.

It seems from my experience that once you've gotten an amiibo to the point where you're actually proud of it, you can use him to whip others into shape. i dont know how good of an idea that may be for less rounded characters like gannon or the more eccentric ones like olimar (ew), but a very balanced and well trained amiibo may be a good cornerstone for training other amiibos.

Baconbasket

Smash Cadet
NNID
Breadbasket
3DS FC
4700-0743-8775
I'd like to add one! :D

When training, keep in mind that the amiibo will learn some moves on its own. To keep it from spamming moves, show it how to defend against them. The amiibo has a mindset that says "If it's not broken, I'll keep doing it!"

Top Bottom