• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on recovering discarded equipment?

DrakTheJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drak12
3DS FC
1762-2757-4092
Hello, it is I! The worst Robin player to ever grace this beautiful earth

I've had difficulty catching my dicarded equipment. I'm either not fast enough to catch it, toss it off the ledge and miss it completely, or attack when I'm able to catch it.

I've also had difficulty doing the Fire jab because we all know it's better than the Wind jab.

D

Deleted member

Hello, it is I! The worst Robin player to ever grace this beautiful earth

I've had difficulty catching my dicarded equipment. I'm either not fast enough to catch it, toss it off the ledge and miss it completely, or attack when I'm able to catch it.

I've also had difficulty doing the Fire jab because we all know it's better than the Wind jab.
Easiest thing to do would be to go into training mode and use the equipment until it is about to break (there are certain counts of course, memorize those counts if you haven't already, I would suggest).

Then, as soon as the equipment is discarded, all you have to do is jump backwards and air dodge or use an aerial (when you're lined up with the equipment of course) to catch it.

For the fire jab, do the same thing, go into training mode and practice the timing, for characters that have different jab variants (i.e. an infinite variant and a standard 3-hit variant), if you slightly pause after doing the 2nd jab and before doing the 3rd, you will perform the single 3rd hit (i.e. Fire jab) as opposed to the Wind jab. In fact, this window to do the single 3rd hit as opposed to the infinite variant can actually be pretty forgiving.

Both'll come, they're just some things that need a little practice.~

Last edited by a moderator:

DrakTheJay

Smash Rookie
NNID
Drak12
3DS FC
1762-2757-4092
Easiest thing to do would be to go into training mode and use the equipment until it is about to break (there are certain counts of course, memorize those counts if you haven't already, I would suggest).

Then, as soon as the equipment is discarded, all you have to do is jump backwards and air dodge or use an aerial (when you're lined up with the equipment of course) to catch it.

For the fire jab, do the same thing, go into training mode and practice the timing, for characters that have different jab variants (i.e. an infinite variant and a standard 3-hit variant), if you slightly pause after doing the 2nd jab and before doing the 3rd, you will perform the single 3rd hit (i.e. Fire jab) as opposed to the Wind jab. In fact, this window to do the single 3rd hit as opposed to the infinite variant can actually be pretty forgiving.

Both'll come, they're just some things that need a little practice.~
Thanks, I'm starting to get the hang of it! I didn't know that you could catch with an air dodge.

Coolpool2

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1048-8836-5328
Also if you don't react right away or do an attack right after you throw away an item dash attacking backwards works pretty regularly.

Silverfox117

Smash Apprentice
Go to training and discard a tome then catch it. Now throw it up in the sky repeatedly to get the timing of air dodge catching. Do about 100 of these. Then after throwing it up move forward a little then short hop backwards and airdodge grab again. Again do 100 of these in a row. You should be a pro at catching your material now. I did this and it worked for me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom