• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on Mewtwo dair?

KageSSB4

Smash Rookie
Hello again!
Another nooby question from ya boy here.
I love Mewtwo's dair. It does great damage and is a great combo finisher in the air. However, the part I'm really interested in is that beautiful spike. I've seen competitive Mewtwos get very early KOs because of spikes, and I've tried countless times to land it consistently, but I've only done it once on a LV14 Zelda amiibo, and it was on accident because I mis-input my fair.
Are there easier ways to land the D?

Last edited:

XenoFalcon95

Smash Cadet
For what it's worth, I like to dair out of a double jump as it covers a lot of space and mewtwo has good control of his drift in the air.

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I have been experimenting with forward SHAD from standing near the edge into D-air to spoil low recoveries.

It seems to me like mewtwo disappearing for a moment puts the opponent into a state of alarm at a key point in their recovery, and I get successful spikes more often compared to jumping straight into D-air.

Red-Villain

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedVillainy
Conditioning your opponent off-stage- edge guarding with options like shadow-ball will usually compel them to a low recovery. A SHFF D-air while on the stages edge can land on a lot of opponents as it the hitbox goes below, and can 2-frame ledge grab. This seems to be the most reliable way to land D-air on Mewtwo.

Another good trick is going off-stage backwards, conditioning as if to b-air, will usually force them to air dodge or attempt to contest it. If the former, they will usually end up being just below you (since they're likely DI'ing toward the stage) and it's a simple matter of baiting it out + positioning yourself correctly; if they challenge you, a flashy gimmick is, as Mr. B Mr. B said, phase > d-air punish. I find this option pretty hard to land overall, because of the variables and a general weariness of being meteor smashed while off-stage over all.

Honestly, even though it's a better than average meteor, Mewtwo has way better kill options to look for. D-airs use is rather situational, and in my view, better utilized as an offensive landing option, or mix-up in the neutral

Mr. B

Smash Apprentice
I almost never get a successful Dair in my neutral game, and so it hasn't made it into my standard mixups.

Baiting the airdodge (conditioning to expect Bair) into Dair offstage is something that I haven't done for awhile; but considering the number of times I challenge with Bair offstage and get frustrated by their airdodge, I should clearly revisit it.

D

Deleted member

Well... it kinda comes up to situation. mewtwo's offstage game is good with his great aerial keep away game & fantastic aerial drift, but rather risky due to his high DJ & other characters high chance of beating out his edgeguard like cloud or mario with counter attack bairs & nairs to keep mewtwo on the defensive if it goes for a full on approach as a edgeguard, so dair offstage is rather unreliable in my opinion. Phase dair isn't reliable do me just because they need to be completely below mewtwo in order for it to spike, especially because mewtwo's dair only has three active frames that it will spike, & you really are only able to go for one dair offstage as a safe option, as dair to DJ dair is really unsafe & since by the time you rise up again they can most phantom footstool off mewtwo's rising attack (other than up-air but they can airdodge that into a sweetspot up-b like lucina & even possibly stage spike you killing you) or just land on stage with a DJ at the right height or just sweetspot or just attack mewtwo when he rises no matter in he AD's or not because most high tiers can delay attacks in this situation to hit mewtwo, you get what I mean. So in short summary, random dairs as a edgeguard are bad, against good players as some bad players will fall for it

On the other hand, following drifts after setups & attacks you throw out like d-tilt or fair, or most notably airdodge reads are pretty consistent. Since other thank mewtwo lucas & ness can't change their aerial drift mid-airdodge, if you read a airdodge into dair or condition them into a laggy or poor option dair offstage can become very good if used right. Like, alot of mid level mewtwo's opt for a 30-40% d-tilt into a dair spike on the edge because the opponent thinks mewtwo will go for a attack & panic AD instantly. Out of nair dair is really bad on even half decent DI, but some other moves are much better, as for setting it up, you'll need to experiment with this concept yourself because I can't be bothered to explain myself. So AD reads into dair work great if your good enough to recognize the opportunity. Attacks by the opponent work the same just remember which attack they'll throw out & adapt & space yourself accordingly. And as a combo finisher really dair isn't that good at all, infact it's rather bad on good opponents. It's made out to be one by most mid-level players but there are barely any good true dair spike setups that work consistently. So I wouldn't even recommend it at at all if you wanna use dair right. You'll see this alot in mewtwo montages, but don't be fooled.

Other than that SH dair like he said can cover 2-frame grabs pretty well & trades great with good timing. However the opponent can tech it by DI'ing in & teching if it is a tall wall stage, like omega wily castle. It does require specific practice on each character to get the timing right, but if practiced enough it becomes really good on some characters like olimar & rosalina & kirby. So i'd recommend the 2-frame the most just cause of how consistent it is, then next the read.

Top Bottom