• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips on landing dsmash?

stoopdklutz

Smash Journeyman
I am a new ZSS main, switching from Ice Climbers. It be great if it was easier to land my favorite downsmash in the game.

Help, Pl0x?

James Sparrow

Smash Master
if you dthrow at some percents you can follow with an up b. when your opponent grows weary of this, he or she will begin to airdodge just before your up b would hit them. Their airdodge will take them down to the ground. If you provoke them into airdodging, you can leave out your up b and charge a dsmash to hit them as they land. It's mindgames like this that will let you land a dsmash. Another one I use is against people who shield grab the second hit of my jab combo. If your opponent has a tendency to do that, i recommend jabbing once, and dsmashing. Depending on the level of their shield, they can be hit by it. If they aren't hit by it, follow it with another jab or dash away to avoid punishment.

FBM

Smash Apprentice
Against someone who likes to spotdodge a lot, charge your dsmash for just a fraction of a second to throw off their dodge timing.

You can also use it to punish rolling if you are facing the right way or anticipate your pivot properly.

Using it just generally as a punishing move is a good idea - doing two in a row does 20ish % when not badly decayed and can be combo'd into another hit for 30ish % dmg.

Use it to ledgeguard a LOT - either by charging or (intelligently) spamming. Chase when they are off the stage with side-Bs, then hurry back and position yourself on the ledge in such a way that gets you as close as possible to them w/o being in range of up-B's through the stage (ie Marth or MK's). Catch them if they move up, off of, or down from the ledge, or the second their invincibility frames wear off.

You can spam it a little in anticipation if you need to against characters that close the distance very quickly or when you expect an approach. Just make sure to do this only when there is enough space between you that if you miss, they will not be able to punish you for testing the waters (not necessarily possible vs all characters).

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
One of my favorite mind-games is approaching with D-smash. Just keep using D-smash to inch forward towards your opponent; it gives them less options and you can determine when they're going to attempt to make a move much easier.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Don't worry about decaying it, that's for sure.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about decaying it, that's for sure.
This. Throw it out whenever you get a chance. You aren't using it as a damager.

Also this:

________O__
--Stage-----|X
----------____

Where X is the opponent and O is ZSS, if that makes sense. It's predictable but by all means effective. Never miss this opportunity.

Tezmata

Smash Apprentice
OK that picture definitely makes no sense. But when the opponent is right about to grab the ledge it's the perfect angle and timing for a D-smash, then use the Flip Jump spike if you think you can or just a simple B-air.

But we're talking ZSS Basics 101.

smaci92

Smash Lord
Try imagining where your opponent is going to move next...I know it sounds like simple advice, but trust me- if you master this, you won't miss many dsmashes. This always helped me land dsmashes.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Also, this doesn't involve dsmash, but you can also reverse aerial a stun shot to stun before the ledge and then fair. I've used it, erm once. Only tried it twice though. XD

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, dsmash on the ed ge to spike is scary, but don't go for it too often because it gets predictable very fast

Also, screw you ruining my 'get to the yoshi boards faster', chaco, i saw 'dsmash' and 'chaco' on the character discussion and thought i was going tot he right place

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've been trying to think of ways to catch Fox and Falco in this one out of Illusion/Phantasm. It'd be pretty sick.

More generally, sometimes you can just start throwing it out to pressure someone who doesn't have projectiles/much range on it. The low lag and long range can really lead into some mindgames. If you don't hit with the dsmash, you'll generally make some other opening.

Chaco

Never Logs In
you have a post stalker? lol...:lol:...sucks to be you :laugh: jk
It was a joke, but nah, I'm a like frequent poster in the Yoshi forums, I reply to everything, so he saw my post and thought it was the YBs.

Adapt

Smash Lord
The exactly middle is vulnerable iirc, it's really hard to time though, I prefer to spot dodge and then stun them.

FadedImage

Smash Journeyman
I mean stopping it mid-animation. I'm sure it's possible, I just don't know when and where.
It's not that tough, start charging it when they are almost horizontal with you. When you hear the WHOOSH, release. It's like shining them out of it back in melee, just requires timing.

Top Bottom