• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

tips on firebird

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
wondering about the properties of it..does it only grab at the end of the firefox? or anytime in between..

i'm just trying to learn to more accurately do the whole jump backwards from teh ledgehang and firefox back to ledge thing that i see once in a while in matches ...and of course you need to be able to choose to go to the ledge with fox or falco

A-Laon

Smash Master
The firebird / firefox only grabs the edge at the end of the animation (though at this moment it can also grab it while facing the wrong way). A bit of finesse is required for grabbing the ledge from any given distance / angle.

takieddine

Smash Master
Not true, you can grab at the end of the animation by simply aiming down, it won't bounce off the floor therefore allowing you to easily edgehog..

Ikagi_chan

Smash Rookie
knightpraetor, I honestly didn't understand most of your post, but I'll try to help you out. To my knowledge, Fox/Falco can grab onto the edge at three points during their Fire Fox/Bird.

1) Just as their Up-B start-up time is finished
2) Between start-up but before finish (you should be pushing into the ledge)
3) After the entire attack is over

I'm not so sure, so someone should double check me on that but I think that's right. And do you mean ledge stalling by the second part of your post? If it is, it's easy.

1) Grab onto the ledge
2) Tap right/left/down to let go of the ledge
3) Up B as soon as possible so that you start the stall

Hope I answered something.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Here's the deal:
A) Firebird grabs on during the animation where you're "charging" it (sitting in midair preparing to shoot off).
B) At the very end of it.
C) Whenever you reach the ledge, at any time during the firebird, if you're moving at any downward angle (-1degrees to -90 degrees). This is where "sweet spotting" comes from.

If you wanna hop backwards from the ledge and get back to it real quick, do a phantasm it's much simpler... but I don't see when either of these would be useful at all :/

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i guess i just wondered how some people appear to be willing to risk a lot more with their firefox than i would dare.. i mean i can sweetspot it sometimes, but some players will risk it just for mindgames even:\ just jumping away from hanging on the ledge and then firefoxing into the ledge at an angle

so to firefox to the ledge and sweetspot i just have to aim correctly? i wasn't sure if it was just grabbing at the end or just aiming..if it could only grab at the end like ness's recovery, then i would have to make sure the momentum wears out on the ledge..

since it can grab at any time..my flaw must just be my aim.

one other question though...after the firefox starts i assume i have no control whatsoever of whether i can grab the ledge..so it just amazes me that anyone can sweetspot it as much as the pros do..literally waveshining, pillaring, lasering....all that stuff is small fry compared to getting the perfect angle it seems:\ i mean i can't help but consistently shoot by the ledge..just barely missing and going underneath it on FD.

maybe i should aim higher? i'm not exactly sure what grabs..

assume for a moment that this is a trajectory..with the parenthesis being the forward edge of the firefox

(----

now does the part that grabs appear in the center of the parenthesis or does it grab from the top near the head?

or does it not matter...shrugs

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
nah it's probably not that useful..i was just curious how people could get that accurate that they would risk it..honestly i think they were just showing off

oh if anyone has some time can anyone explain falco's throw game to me...i know it's supposed to be really bad..but even so..

so you've got the upthrow to upair while following di if you can..i think if they di away you can't get most peeps...

you can dthrow techchase...or downsmash or shine if they fail to tech...and then the left-right throw to laser grabs...are they any other options here?

mathos

Smash Champion
Knight just make one post if you're going to make two a minute apart.

But the Firebird, not firefox, will only grab the edge in the middle of the Firebird if you're going at a downward angle towards the ledge. Other than that the Firebird will continue its entire length and if he will grab at the end.

Uthrow to uair if they don't DI. And if they do try a bair, its easier to hit. Nope you got all the dthrows really, but you can't really tell if they're not going to tech. Because if you're waiting then you're going too slow. You could also try a fsmash on some charcters, and some others can be peusdo chain thrown.

DJ Boonbuggy

Smash Apprentice
Sweetspotting is kind of like ... eh... pillaring or something, it's just about getting the muscle memory and you learn rather quickly how to position the stick for it. With practice, it really doesn't become that risky, and it can help a lot because people will probably assume that you won't go for the sweet spot, or, if they know you do, you can just go straight horizontally and mindgame them that way.

As for the trajectory part, assume that you grab the same place that the "-" are. So (---- you'll grab where the dashes are, on the parenthesis of course.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
since you said it like that..does that mean the firefox doesn't have the same properties as the firebird?

Top Bottom