• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips in Mastering Wavedashing

AfricanManBeast

Smash Cadet
Any tips on mamking it easier to wavedash. I want to become more professional and I just get trouble over this wavedashing stuff

TheKobanator

Smash Rookie
Practice.

Try different hand positions, if you're using L, try R and vice versa. Try wavedashing with someone heavy (like ganon) he has a larger window between required button inputs, so it doesn't require the speed to do it as it would Fox. Also Luigi is good cuz it's very apparent when you do his. But it really comes down to just practice, get comfortable with it and build the muscle memory.

Last edited:

SpeedyJ

Smash Journeyman
I started out by wavedashing with characters who were easy to WD with like Luigi, Doctor Mario and Marth. They have nice gravity and have long wavedashes so seeing if you've done it correctly is quite obvious. Start by getting the timing right (Short hop by light tapping jump then airdodge by pressing a shield button into the ground - down left or down right).

Once you're able to do this, try wavedashing with characters harder to WD with like Fox or Bowser. Once you're able to WD with most/all characters it becomes muscle memory. Hope this helps.

polypuff

Smash Rookie
I recommend choosing ice climbers and try wavedashing on top of a small platform, like the ones on battlefield, and try dashing back and forth without falling.Try using both L and R like TheKobanator said to see which fits you the best.

AfricanManBeast

Smash Cadet
I slightly move up the joystick instead of pressing x. Is that ok? Ty for info

Last edited:

HodgyDot

Smash Apprentice
Personally man i would just practice, i know it gets annoying with people saying this but each character has a slightly different wave dash timing and it all takes practice.

As a fellow new player, thats my best advice.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
For wavedashing, absolutely x/y is better. That said, you can learn to wavedash with stick, it will just be much harder with no reward besides being able to tell people that you can do it lol.

Do with x/y though, and you can use the control stick to instead control the length of the wavedash. Closer to horizontal your stick is while you wavedash, the longer and smoother your wavedash will be. Having long wavedashes and being able to mixup wavedash length can go a long way in this game.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
I'd like an answer to this too since I use the control stick as well. I don't want to be at a disadvantage because I use the control stick. Is x/y better?
you can play this game any way you want, if you are more comfortable wavedashing with the control stick then by all means do it. most players find it easier to wavedash by jumping with x/y rather than pressing up on the control stick. one of my friends plays a really technical fox and he does everything with the control stick (shorthop, wavedash, waveshine, etc) so the control scheme should be what you feel is best for you.

Top Bottom