• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Yoshi ditto's?

2 Trainz

Smash Rookie
I have a big Yoshi ditto MM coming up and was looking for some tips, such as useful techniques to use or what moves are going to be pretty worthless, all help is appreciated, thanks.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Be aware of the armor, grab, and go hyper aggressive when he doesn't have a second jump left. There are of course other little things to watch for like the jabs and the dtilt, but if you just play fluid and be focused on those top three aspects, you'll do fine.

FCZHornet

Smash Apprentice
Keep your egg game in mind. Eggs actually kinda wreck Yoshi's aerial approach, use them often to zone out the air game. Beat him at nairs and be quick with dash-grabs; Yoshi's shield a lot.

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Yoshi can Nair through enemy Eggs and punish the god awful end lag they have if performed on the stage
SideB can be a decent approach and combos fairly well in the ditto as Yoshi is at one of those easy combo weights. On the flip side, Egg Roll can be countered, clanked, or grabbed. The move has some odd priority based on it's current velocity.

Moves that counter SideB:
  • Nair is amongst the best counters as it will always beat out SideB, has low startup & end lag, and is a nice hitbox in front of Yoshi
  • Grab (best to dash grab when they're turning around or near startup, pivot grab when they're starting to approach)
  • Dsmash & Yoshi's tilts. I'd say use tilts to counter/clank and set up combos, Dsmash to get a kill or good punish if they're being predictable with the approach
  • Egg throw (UpB) during the beginning portion of the move.
  • Egg Lay (neutral B)
  • Dash attack during the startup frames of SideB
  • DownB / Fair can be a gamble as they sometimes beat out egg roll and other times can lose if you're not spaced correctly.
Moves that clank SideB:
  • Dash attack I believe either beats out or clanks all the time
  • Fsmash (Upsmash possibly)
  • SideB **Only if they're both going about the same speed. Otherwise the higher speed = higher priority and will beat out the Yoshi with a slower egg roll**
  • Ground Pound (DownB) stars
Fsmash can be a great spacing tool and secure kills with Yoshi's head / hurtbox tilting slightly back. Fair will set up most combos & kill moves. DownB can be great for kills and mix up Dthrow & Uthrow: they're both amazing combo starters & kill setups from throws.

Make sure your spacing is on point, as with all dittos & matches. Abuse Yoshi's anti-air game with eggs & tilts, and try not to get flustered over the enemy also abusing super armor. Yoshi lives a while in the ditto despite his strong kill power.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Just do a ****load of CC Dsmash and you're good tbh. Yoshi can CC his on nair and even his own fair at lower percents. If he's off stage go for the bair. The multihit is often strong enough to break his armor, and if he chooses to attack in whatever situation then he'll eat your bair instead. Yoshi's biggest weakness in the air is multihit attacks.

Limbose

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0748-3141-7837
Just do a ****load of CC Dsmash and you're good tbh. Yoshi can CC his on nair and even his own fair at lower percents. If he's off stage go for the bair. The multihit is often strong enough to break his armor, and if he chooses to attack in whatever situation then he'll eat your bair instead. Yoshi's biggest weakness in the air is multihit attacks.
That's actually false. Multihit is the worst thing to use against his armor. The knockback taken isn't cumulative. Each individual hit, before absurd %s, is below the knockback threshhold and as such will never break armor. Best thing to use against a midair Yoshi is fair. Hits the hardest and meteors if he cancels his armor with an attack. Starts to knock him out of his subtractive armor pretty early, around upper 50s or 60s I think. I can test it if someone wants me to. Or someone else can. Actually I think I will once I get home. Will update.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
I didn't actually state multihits would break the armor, just that that attack will. On top of which, at absurdly low percents, the multihit will give you a whole period of time to punish the opponent from pressing a button, lasting as long as it is active. Trying to use fair will get you naired so fast

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
if you play smart in dittos and watch when the opponent uses Jump, you can kill him/her fast. Respect Armor, Know when to end combos, Know when and how to trade, punish gimmicks like DJC Uair strings.

Last edited:

D e l t a

That one guy who does the thing with a camera.
Idk if it's been said anywhere yet, but Yoshi's eggs beat out ALL of Yoshi's landing options. Every aerial attack and special (except another UpB ofc), will all simply get hit by egg. If they try to land with DownB a lot, use an egg or Uair to stop them.

You basically want to be grounded for as much of the ditto as possible. You'll have DJC aerials, way more movement options, and crouch canceling available.

Top Bottom