• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for training with puf??

twilightxblade

Smash Rookie
I just wanted to know, whats the best way to train with puff? I mean what do you master first?? WoP? Rest? Should I learn to wavedash and shffl first? Whats the best way to pick up puff?

RPK

Smash Lord
It would be nice for you to learn atleast the basics so just try out wavedashing and SHFFLing. With puff learn rest's hitbox and practice until you can get it down easily. Then Wop is easy since it is basically just a barrage of bairs/fairs

twilightxblade

Smash Rookie
So shffl'ing is pretty important with jiggs then? What about double bair? Which should I use more? What about recovery? I watched King's vids; when he grabbed the ledge he used dair to get back on the stage--wouldnt bair be better since it protects against fsmashes?

im2emo4myshrt

Smash Apprentice
the dair does more damage then the bair, and it if l-canceled can lead to a grab. As long as they can't predict your move from the edge your good. I like bair, and i like dair. I mix it up depending on the character and percentage.
Double bair and shffling are both equally effective when used right. When i play marth i like to short hop bair when ever he tries to attack, then i double bair when i see a chance to attack. use them both.

HyugaRicdeau

Baller/Shot-caller
Slippi.gg
DRZ#283
The dair is good from the ledge since it's multiple hitboxes.

I think if you want to work on the wall of pain, the first thing you should practice is fastfalling between each aerial. It makes it look a lot faster, and you get better control over the vertical spacing of your aerials as well (Bair, fasfall retreat, re-jump approach bair, etc). Also practice full hop double bairs. It's not hard to execute, the hard part is getting the spacing correct. Learn the real range of the bair. You can actually even double jump from a SH bair if you do it quickly enough. This can be quite useful, as a lot of non-Jiggly players don't realize this is possible.

One tactic you can try is to end your WOP with a uair to pop them up for a rest or a combo. ANYTIME you are going to land from a WOP, you should either land behind them, or out of grab range.

Lastly, learn how to angle your pounds. A down angled pound is tricky to recognize, and an up angled pound can put you just above a character's grab range. Pound is a great change-up to put into a WOP, in addition to being a really good combo starter, I generally abuse it on people until they prove that they can punish me for it.

Bob Money

Smash Ace
u can wa King vi he bes pu in nite states n worl
watch king vids hes the best puff in the world hes good at DI ing downsmashes at 140 percent on the right side of yoshi story to not lose tournament sets vs me.
u know he DI s bad vs me on purpose now when i downsmash him in friendlies what a nice guy lets me win every once in while. play a real character dan on with some thigh muscles and a big **** like doc
hey sheridan.

Zelow

Smash Apprentice
Ya back kicks are devistating there probably your best offense and wave dashing doesnt really help intill you nedd to get to a ledge faster puffs is also really good for comboing kicks to get someone really far from the arena to push them where they cant get back and if you do it right you can get back my recomendation would be to look up some youtube videos and take notes

Keith a.k.a the jiggs

PrinceZane

INNsomniac
BRoomer
While there are such things are "good" and "bad" things to do... everything has its moment and circumstances. I wouldn't say there's something you sould learn before or after another one, as its all situational what you use and when.

The way I practiced when I first got started was simply just doing 5 minutes of each: 5 mins of wavedashing, then 5 mins l-canceling, 5 mins shffling, etc. no more, no less. then goof around if you want to with friends or whatever. I prefer doing it like this because i get burned out of grinding and eventually your technique starts to fall if you get bored, thus learn bad habits.

I'm no pro or anything, just my method :)

mista_mista

Smash Journeyman
I'm in the same boat as you, twilight. I've been practicing WD but it doesn't really seem helpful for me. L-cancelling I'm still working on the timing and it should help my aerials a ton. And shffling I will try out once I get my short hop down pat.

P.S. Anybody got any good tips for doing SHs or Utilts?

Top Bottom