• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for the charizard matchup?

Ethan.

Smash Ace
Hey guys. I'm just getting into PM from melee, and last weekend I went to a mini tourney. I had real trouble against Charizard and ganon. I think for ganon I just have to adjust to everything that has changed about him, but zards nair wrecked me.

Is there a particular way to play that matchup to abuse something about charizard? I know nothing about the character.

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
The nair seems really good, but it's not unpunishable. I don't remember if he has to hit Fox with the beginning or end of the move, but if it's the beginning, you can WD OOS to punish. If it's the end, you can try to weave out of it's range or thread in there before the hitbox comes back around at you. A lot of charizards will platform camp and nair poke through the platform at you. If you shield this, it's extremely punishable.

Pick charizard in training mode, put on a Fox cpu, and just play around with Zard's nair. look at all the different ways you can make the move hit. try doing it both early and late in your shorthop. I'm pretty sure you need to face away from the opponent for best results. But play around with it and once you understand the move better, you'll better understand how to punish it. And since that's basically Zard's go-to spam move, you'll be a lot further along in fighting the character just from knowing how to handle that one move.

Top Bottom