• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for playing against falcon?

gramkracka22

Smash Cadet
My friend plays a deadly falcon and I feel I have no way of countering him, any tips/go to moves?

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Hold Down when he's near you, keep moving otherwise (via wavedash and shellshift), and D-Tilt/F-Tilt a bunch. Grabs aren't a bad idea if you think you're in range or have caught him with one of the aforementioned attacks. Don't be afraid to Water Gun/Bubble for spacing, as it disrupts a lot of Falcon's approach game.

There's certainly more to say, but this is good advice, all the same.

Last edited:

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
If he doesn't sweet spot the edge, it's an easy gimp to d-smash which if spaced correctly will rocket him down and he won't recover.

Nair is your best friend, you can really commit to an edge guard with it, with armor frames out you can nair gimp the crap out of captain, even when he is in the middle of his recovery.

Correct DI is particularly important against falcon, optimal wavedashing (and the occasional water-gun spacing) is the fastest and safest way to move, along with shell slinging.

Falcon will be rocketing through the air as much as you, thankfully you have armor frames on your nair, so get good with the timing.

Constantly crouching will avoid nearly all of his grab game.

Up-throw to up-tilt(s) to grab is OP

Last edited:

Sea Buoy

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3351-5278-5305
I'd say one of the issues with Squirtle is just that he can be grabbed out of Withdraw because of the grab mechanic. Squirtle is a relatively small target, but all the hopping around you do for aerials leaves you vulnerable to thing like knees, U-air strings, and D-airs. I believe that Raptor Boost has enough damage to go through Withdraw's armor.

Shellshifting can be effective if you've got the spacing down. I think the way I would approach it is to play defensively by weaving in and out with shellshifting, wavedashing, and Bubble/Watergun. Once you can catch your friend, Squirtle combos are pretty easy to lay out.

Lastly, I think that CCing Falcon is pretty effective. Even if it sends you downwards offstage, Squirtle has a pretty insane recovery. But the best case scenario, CC and D-tilt/smash or grab.

PS I still have a lot to learn with Squirtle so I'm right there with you. I'm probably wrong on half this stuff anyways.

Top Bottom