• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for new Ike player?

Adachi

Smash Rookie
I just got into Project M about 3 weeks ago and loving playing Ike. Any pointers to give out?

Last edited:

Sol0ke

Smash Ace
Learn the the quickdraw basics, like jumping out, cancel it with a grab and up smash, etc.
Also, be prepared to spend a lot of time with him. Ike requires dedication to use well.

I'm sure there's more, but that's two of it

Adachi

Smash Rookie
Learn the the quickdraw basics, like jumping out, cancel it with a grab and up smash, etc.
Also, be prepared to spend a lot of time with him. Ike requires dedication to use well.

I'm sure there's more, but that's two of it
Yeah thanks! I've been getting those down by practicing like everyday, One of the things I can't really get are the combos, also I don't know how to chain grab.

Commander

Smash Ace
Why would I want to help Adachi?

You should learn the different effects that come as a result of hitting at the tip and the hilt. Even though the hilt has more damage and knockback you'll find you aren't going to be going for it like Marth and Roy go for their sweetspots. Nair is one of the easier combos starters but QD attack, dtilt, and a lot of other moves are great to start combos as well.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Utilt is a particularly good anti-air and doubles as a very good juggler of fast fallers at some percents. Learn the different hit boxes of Ragnell (Tip, Blade, and Hilt). Learn how to QD wall jump it will turn an average recovery to a very good one especially on walled stages and can even allow for you to style on your opponent with wall jumped aerials. Learn the different uses of the almighty Nair and other than that, learn to read your opponent and force them into situations they don't want to be in.

NWRL

Smash Ace
Mindgames and conditioning are your best tools as Ike. one of the most effective things to do is to use QD attack a ton early on in matches (safely, of course) and condition your opponents to shield when you charge QD, then snag them up in grabs for being so predictable.

Ike's grabs are probably his best asset after his sword and QD. Use them all.

RomanCenturionX

Smash Cadet
Mindgames and conditioning are your best tools as Ike. one of the most effective things to do is to use QD attack a ton early on in matches (safely, of course) and condition your opponents to shield when you charge QD, then snag them up in grabs for being so predictable.

Ike's grabs are probably his best asset after his sword and QD. Use them all.
The ironic thing is I do the opposite up by me, because everyone hides in shield when you QD so I just start grabbing, then I use attacks and WDs as mix ups.

Top Bottom