• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for improving spaced b-air, footstool d-air and ff u-air?

LunarVisions

Smash Rookie
NNID
LunarVisions
3DS FC
1092-3296-8930
I have some basic combos down for my Falcon, I just want to take my Falcon to the next level.

Any tips?

dandeto

Smash Apprentice
Well, the first step to improving is knowing what things like footstool d-air and fast fall u-air even are, which I can see that you do! Good job.

Next you really just need to practice these things over and over. I know it sounds lame, but looking back, that's all I really did to learn more combos, mix ups, mind-games, and complex footstool stuff. As with many things in life, you'll probably need to watch a few tutorials, practice, watch more tutorials, practice again and so on until you nail it! Start in training mode and then test it out with a friend or two. First have them randomly run, jump, and attack around the stage. After that play like normal and just try to throw out those moves. Hopefully you can land those specific hits. Alternatively, you can just go on for glory. You'll get it eventually!

Here are some Justice filled resources that should be able to get you started:

Trifroze:
https://www.youtube.com/user/zTwiliz
He was a pioneer in some of the Falcon tech we take for granted today. Take a look at his Falcon guides.

Gawain:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4bm4eHRUKa5ao7BCuPrzCg
If I am not mistaken, he actually discovered the basis of the footstool combo! take a look.

Frection

Smash Rookie
I have some basic combos down for my Falcon, I just want to take my Falcon to the next level.

Any tips?
The most important thing to understand about Falcon is that he's a combo character.
Because his neutral is mediocre at best, you need to be consistent and ruthless with the amount of damage you can get off each opening, so you need to use 1 player time effectively. Do whatever you need to do over and over until you get the hang of it, and make sure you practice combos properly.
A lot of players only practice against the CPU on 'stop'. That gets you slightly shoddy combos at best, or total inability to combo conscious opponents at worst. My advice would be to get the training mod which allows you to randomise DI and escape options the CPU takes, or to grind against low-level players to practice combos.

Have a great time beating people up.

Frection

Smash Rookie
The most important thing to understand about Falcon is that he's a combo character.
Because his neutral is mediocre at best, you need to be consistent and ruthless with the amount of damage you can get off each opening, so you need to use 1 player time effectively. Do whatever you need to do over and over until you get the hang of it, and make sure you practice combos properly.
A lot of players only practice against the CPU on 'stop'. That gets you slightly shoddy combos at best, or total inability to combo conscious opponents at worst. My advice would be to get the training mod which allows you to randomise DI and escape options the CPU takes, or to grind against low-level players to practice combos.

Have a great time beating people up.
On the subject of what you were actually asking about:
-Just because they're safe on sheild doesn't mean they're safe to throw out
-The threat of burst options (mostly dash grab) is your main neutral tool as Falcon, not spacing your aerials
-Empty hops and tomahawks are just as important as aerials
-Mix up retreating, approaching and cross-up spacing
-Consider your ground options; forfeiting sheild by jumping isn't always necessary
-Focus on what happens AFTER the option whenever you use it; when you fastfall uair, keep in mind that you can connect it and get a combo, hit sheild and spotdodge/roll/jab etc to avoid punishes, or whiff and stay passive

(I'm just talking about neutral, sorry if you meant follow-ups)

Top Bottom