• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for getting better at R.O.B.?

Trippyc

Smash Rookie
I am currently maining R.O.B. on the 3ds, and frequently i only find myself using robs B and side B, ive started to use the gyros more because i dont wanna be known as a move spammer, but i still need to get better at the character overall. know anywhere i can find a moveset or?

Original name taken

Smash Rookie
down throw up air, running up/down smash and short hop neutral air are things I do when playing rob. don't feel to bad if you incorporate the laser or gyro when approaching, but don't only do that. I also use the side B as a reflector, and only a reflector. but it doesn't have to be that way, I've seen many rob players use it as an offensive move to send me into the air and start an aerial combo. Im not sure if any of this will help, but experiment with them and see if they help.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Do not worry about being a move spammer. Only scrubs will object to you spamming moves. Which is why they never learn to deal with it and stay scrubs. Good players will adapt to your spam without complaining. That is how they became good, by adapting instead of complaining. To get better you must drop silly subjective rules. Also if you have trouble with the opponents spam then do not complain but instead search for techniques to beat it and practice.

But you are right in using the Gyro, because the Gyro is a very good move and R.O.B. is much worse without it.

Personally I use B> also for its melee damage but if the opponent has an almost full or full shield then he can easily block and punish it so be careful with it.

I suggest reading R.O.B. guides, watching R.O.B. videos, and practice with him. The R.O.B. boards here have pretty good stuff.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Projectile spam (laser and gyro) is a part of ROB's game, really. Proper use of Gyro is necessary to improve. You'll need to have a gyro out at all times in some match-ups. Laser is a good harassing and sniping tool.

Don't spam Arm Rotor though; if you miss, it leaves you wide open.

Practice combos; D-throw to U-air is the easiest to do and is a start.

:231:

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
I don't know if you care for any more advice at this point, but I'll throw in my two cents.

I am currently maining R.O.B. on the 3ds, and frequently i only find myself using robs B and side B, ive started to use the gyros more because i dont wanna be known as a move spammer, but i still need to get better at the character overall. know anywhere i can find a moveset or?
Like many people have already suggested, Down Throw > Uair is a true combo (R.O.B.'s HOO HAH, basically), but unlike Diddy's combo, R.O.B.'s isn't guaranteed past mid percents, especially when considering how your opponent DIs and whatnot. Nonetheless, Uair in itself is a great multi-hit kill move, so obviously don't sleep on it.

As it stands, your kill moves are:

- Uair
- Up Smash
- Down Smash
- Bair
- Up-Throw
- Gimping/Spiking

Side Smash can kill (obviously), but it is much less reliable than the other two, not to mention that, despite its range, it may not actually kill if the opponent isn't relatively close to R.O.B.. Bair, by the way, has some decent amount of star-up lag (like most of R.O.B.'s air moves), and can often be more useful as a spacing tool, as well as a helpful aid to his recovery/landing options.

Learn to improve your Gyro/Laser game. R.O.B. is a zoning character, and as such, needs both of these tools to keep itself together. Spamming will only take you so far, though, and any person unable to overcome any Gyro/Laser spam was probably not very good to begin with.

Despite popular belief, R.O.B.'s air game is not that good. His recovery can be decent at best (it runs on fuel), and he can get juggled easily in the air. The ground is were R.O.B. truly dominates the MU and how he forces most of his opponents to approach him.

SHFF Nairs are very useful for poking/spacing. Short Hop into Fair is also a very good, safe option.

Those are some basic tips that, in my opinion, any R.O.B. main should know/understand (regardless of their skill). Keep lurking more and you are sure to find more useful tips. Likewise, don't hesitate on asking question in any of the open threads. The R.O.B. community is actually very friendly and open to help others. Good luck out there!

Do not worry about being a move spammer. Only scrubs will object to you spamming moves. Which is why they never learn to deal with it and stay scrubs. Good players will adapt to your spam without complaining. That is how they became good, by adapting instead of complaining. To get better you must drop silly subjective rules. Also if you have trouble with the opponents spam then do not complain but instead search for techniques to beat it and practice.
Well said! Adapting is the key to any fighting game, really. People that enjoy complaining more than they enjoy improving are bound to being held back of overcoming their difficult MUs and actually getting better. Unfortunately, having a FG record (which literally means nothing) can often be a determinative factor in making people not wanting to improve because, well, they can't handle losing and "messing" up their record.

Last edited:

Sex Robot

BRoomer
BRoomer
Get doooowwn with the lasers and gyrooo. Everybody responds betteerwhen you play hard to geeeet.

Sex up this tooowwwn with the sex driverrrrr (dthrow > uair), hump them good offstage with fairs and nairs. If they're close the the ledge and you can see how they wanna get dooown, give them the ultimate sex with the dair spike.

Nair controls the aiiiiir

Just rememberrrrr

You gotta wanna get dooown

Last edited:
Top Bottom