• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Fighting a Zelda!

Prince Longstrok

Taker of lives, defiler of daughters.
Heya!

So, the time has come- my first ****-talking opponent has challenged me and claims he can JV4 my Ganon. o:

Tomorrow is the big day, and I aim to take home this victory. Now, I am not very sure of this matchup, so I figured the best thing to do was to come here and get some advice for my big match tomorrow :)

any advice will help! Thank you!

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
Heya!

So, the time has come- my first ****-talking opponent has challenged me and claims he can JV4 my Ganon. o:

Tomorrow is the big day, and I aim to take home this victory. Now, I am not very sure of this matchup, so I figured the best thing to do was to come here and get some advice for my big match tomorrow :)

any advice will help! Thank you!
Hey man yeah sure we'd be happy to help. First off why don't you start by reading the Zelda Balancing and MU thread. Then let me know if you have any questions/thoughts that come to mind.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
You're going to want to know about some of the things that Zelda mains can do such as Teledashing. Pretty much, Zelda will use her teleport, but wave dash out of it to grab/hit you. It can take you by surprise, but if you can read where they're going to to go, you can punish them REALLY hard. Every Zelda has tendencies or a pattern. PUNISH THAT.

Over all, you're going to want to go with the punish based play style. Don't go aggro (you shouldn't be doing this with Ganon anyways). Zelda is largely counter offensive, so going aggro too much is going to get you killed real fast.

Use the arty vortex A LOT. Zelda's like to jump in and whack you with their lightning kicks. But they can't do that when you have a constant wall of hit boxes in front of you. Also use it to nullify the dins fire that Zelda puts out. Normally they punish you for doing this, but since you don't have any landing lag from the arty vortex, you'll be ready to Sparta kick her in the face when she tries to punish you.

Watch out for the Nayru's (Zelda's neutral B). It has invulnerability frames when done on the ground. And the aerial Nayru's love can land cancel, so if they initiate the move while in the air and touch the ground before the move ends, it only gives them 3 frames of lag (that is less than landing from a empty hop). Zelda's also have a knack for reversing their neutral Bs in the air to catch you off guard. You're going to want to watch out for that.

Since Zelda is a pretty floaty character, most characters can't combo her, but since you're Ganon, it's all one hit and done (not counting grabs). It's pretty nice.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

You're going to want to know about some of the things that Zelda mains can do such as Teledashing. Pretty much, Zelda will use her teleport, but wave dash out of it to grab/hit you. It can take you by surprise, but if you can read where they're going to to go, you can punish them REALLY hard. Every Zelda has tendencies or a pattern. PUNISH THAT.

Over all, you're going to want to go with the punish based play style. Don't go aggro (you shouldn't be doing this with Ganon anyways). Zelda is largely counter offensive, so going aggro too much is going to get you killed real fast.

Use the arty vortex A LOT. Zelda's like to jump in and whack you with their lightning kicks. But they can't do that when you have a constant wall of hit boxes in front of you. Also use it to nullify the dins fire that Zelda puts out. Normally they punish you for doing this, but since you don't have any landing lag from the arty vortex, you'll be ready to Sparta kick her in the face when she tries to punish you.

Watch out for the Nayru's (Zelda's neutral B). It has invulnerability frames when done on the ground. And the aerial Nayru's love can land cancel, so if they initiate the move while in the air and touch the ground before the move ends, it only gives them 3 frames of lag (that is less than landing from a empty hop). Zelda's also have a knack for reversing their neutral Bs in the air to catch you off guard. You're going to want to watch out for that.

Since Zelda is a pretty floaty character, most characters can't combo her, but since you're Ganon, it's all one hit and done. It's pretty nice.
*jots down notes* Right!

now question! What exactly is the "arty vortex" and how do I do it? google brought up nothing :c

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
*jots down notes* Right!

now question! What exactly is the "arty vortex" and how do I do it? google brought up nothing :c
Ok. This is the Arty Vortex: short hop fast fall nair into a ground move such as a f-tilt, d-tilt, or jab.

When you short hop and fast fall a nair (and you do it right), you land as if you hadn't used an aerial attack at all (4 frames of landing lag). This can be used to create a near constant wall of hit boxes in front of you. You short hop, nair, fast fall, land, and use f-tilt/d-tilt/jab.

It can catch you opponent off guard because they weren't expecting you to be able to act that fast out of your nair.

NGuz95 explains it better than I do:
The Arty Vortex is a shff nair. You don't l-cancel it because Ganon lands inside the auto-cancel frames when you fast-fall it. You then follow up with a jab or an ftilt. It's used for baiting and swatting annoying projectiles. It's quite useful actually, as nair covers a surprisingly large amount of area with a significant amount of disjoint. More often than not, however, the nair is used to bait, and the jab/ftilt that follows it is the key move.
Another thing about Zelda's neutral-B: A lot of Zelda's use it as a sort of "panic button". When they feel pressured, they just tap the B button and all there problems "go away". Bait it out of them, and punish them for thinking that they could get you away from them that easily.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Ok. This is the Arty Vortex: short hop fast fall nair into a ground move such as a f-tilt, d-tilt, or jab.

When you short hop and fast fall a nair (and you do it right), you land as if you hadn't used an aerial attack at all (4 frames of landing lag). This can be used to create a near constant wall of hit boxes in front of you. You short hop, nair, fast fall, land, and use f-tilt/d-tilt/jab.

It can catch you opponent off guard because they weren't expecting you to be able to act that fast out of your nair.

Another thing about Zelda's neutral-B: A lot of Zelda's use it as a sort of panic button. When they feel pressured, they just tap the B button and all there problems "go away". Bait it out of them, and punish them for thinking that they could get you away from them that easily.
OH! Ive been using that witout knowing then- but clearly not enough!

Ill have to get a few hours in tonight getting the timing perfect with the vortex- I cant believe I never thought of just how useful it is. *bops head*

and hmm.. Bait the neutral special, then punish. Knock out the fire charges with the vortex. Dont let guard down on teleport. Keep calm, and DONT go aggro- its what she wants.

I plan on bringing my elgato tomorrow, would you guys at all be interested in seeing the matches? :)

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
I find when I'm Facing a Ganon that Din's Fire is my go to. It's easy to catch him in (especially on flat stages like FD) and staying close enough allows for easy grab and combo. We're aware that Bowser, Ganon and other heavy characters can OHKO us, so we don't stay near. Evasion is a Zelda main's bread. Combos are her butter.

You did state a lot of things a lot of us do. When I panic, I'll teledash somewhere else, but I've seen (and done) the Nayru's Panic Button

Another thing about Zelda's neutral-B: A lot of Zelda's use it as a sort of panic button. When they feel pressured, they just tap the B button and all there problems "go away". Bait it out of them, and punish them for thinking that they could get you away from them that easily.
This is something I didn't, and wouldn't expect. Use it if your opponent hasn't faced a Ganon.

Another thing that I find is how overconfident Zeldas are offstage. Because our recovery is amazing, we will chase you offstage, and a lot of our game will be about putting you in the air, and knocking you past the edge. With you on the edge, we are cool as a clam, because it's where we shine. Some of us even stay on stage and wait for you to come back on. Watch to see how closely your opponent attempts to punish you, how they do it, and how comfortable they are offstage. That'll let you know how comfortable they are with Zelda, or if they're just impressed with her improvement, and can spam up smash.

@ ShadowGanon ShadowGanon seems to know a lot about Zelda. It's impressive. Most people when facing a Zelda expect her to be all Aggro, or incredibly defensive. We are all fisherman, letting some get away as long as we can bait the big fish to bite. Then when you're off your game, we net you and bring you aboard the boat of pain.

However, any Zelda worth their salt has a good shield/roll game. That's what baits you into going aggro, which causes the punish.

Fighting Zelda is like chess. You may have a queen, but just as much damage can be done with Zelda's Rook and Knight, and if you're too busy taking out the pawns, you'll find yourself in a heap of trouble.

However, I wouldn't worry @ Prince Longstrok Prince Longstrok , the best Zeldas I know are incredibly humble, well versed in matchups, but still very aware that you are not battling the character, but the person. Any Zelda that can just claim to JV4 you without watching you play extensively is overconfident, and will be predictable very quickly.

I know the only character I can 3 stock is a predictable Squirtle. But that's only because I spent a lot of time practicing against a Squirtle, and even then, I get just as nervous facing a Squirtle as I do anyone else.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
OH! Ive been using that witout knowing then- but clearly not enough!
Ill have to get a few hours in tonight getting the timing perfect with the vortex- I cant believe I never thought of just how useful it is. *bops head*
and hmm.. Bait the neutral special, then punish. Knock out the fire charges with the vortex. Don't let guard down on teleport. Keep calm, and DONT go aggro- its what she wants.
I plan on bringing my elgato tomorrow, would you guys at all be interested in seeing the matches? :)
I would love to watch and critique your matches.

I find when I'm Facing a Ganon that Din's Fire is my go to. It's easy to catch him in (especially on flat stages like FD) and staying close enough allows for easy grab and combo. We're aware that Bowser, Ganon and other heavy characters can OHKO us, so we don't stay near. Evasion is a Zelda main's bread. Combos are her butter.
It's best to use Ganon's u-air, n-air, and his other quicker moves to take out the dins. You don't want those little fireballs to be around once one of you tries to go in. Nullify them quickly and as safely as possible.

One last thing (I can't believe I forgot this), Zelda DOESN'T WANT TO BE IN THE AIR ABOVE YOU. She has no reliable options. Dair comes out too slow, nair doesn't have a low enough hit box, and Nayru's (panic button) also doesn't have a low enough hitbox. Most of the time, if they're in the air, they will either try to use their teleport to get back down to the ground, or try to grab the ledge on either side of the stage. Find out what they prefer, and punish accordingly. But, if this Zelda hangs around the Zelda boards, then she/he might know how to use something called the Diamond Dive. Here is a description by the guy who discovered it (I think):

Basically what it is is this: I discovered a technique where if you are sent at around a 45 degree angle from point A, you perform the b reversal at the same time you would normally Love Jump (point B, and you do NOT jump). You will continue your launch speed and angle of trajectory, in reverse, heading back to point A from point B (not quite that sharp but still at a sharp angle) at the same speed at which you left it, invulnerable because of Nayru. With the right percentage you can land-cancel the Diamond Dive. Now I discovered this back in 2.5b or 2.6, but it still works in 3.0. You just do a normal b-reversal, and the timing is a tad later than that of the Love Jump.
Here is the video about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CNsBBPnhEI

If this Zelda is any good and keeps up with the Meta game, then you're going to want to watch out for the this.

Oh, and you might be wondering what a love jump is. When Zelda is in hit stun, she can jump and quickly use Nayru's (panic button, agian) to rise higher in the air than she would have if she had just jumped. This isn't really that important to know, since it will just give you more time to think about how you are going to destroy her once she comes back to the ground, but she may use it to get out of combos (how on earth are you doing combos with Ganon?) or recovering back to the ledge.

@ ShadowGanon ShadowGanon seems to know a lot about Zelda. It's impressive. Most people when facing a Zelda expect her to be all Aggro, or incredibly defensive. We are all fisherman, letting some get away as long as we can bait the big fish to bite. Then when you're off your game, we net you and bring you aboard the boat of pain.
I try. :awesome:

Last edited:

Spralwers

Smash Ace
You can also grab Zelda after an aerial side B. She bounces really high. Very satisfying.

Spralwers

Smash Ace
Yeah. I'm looking into other options after aerial slam jam though. The thing about dthrow is that Zelda bounces so high and has such little hitstun that I generally don't get anything other than uair. Then you kinda have to play a guessing game as Zelda tries to hit the ground. Going through this process was so annoying when I had to play KDJ's Zelda. Since Zelda bounces high enough off aerial side B and is in hit stun long enough to grab, Ganon can probably follow up with a plethora of other things.

When you cancel out din's fire, seriously mix up your tools. Go for jabs, dtilts, nairs, retreating fairs, etc. It makes it really confusing for the Zelda player to try and approach you. But in the mean time, invade her personal space, because you can very easily outreach her and punish her if she makes a mistake. Like if she goes for din's fire and she's within wizkick range, wizkick her. Wizkick plows through din's fire. However, be really careful with using an aerial to cancel din's fire, because if you use an aerial with too much ending lag and you're just within that distance, a good Zelda will fair you. ouch :x

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
Yeah. I'm looking into other options after aerial slam jam though. The thing about dthrow is that Zelda bounces so high and has such little hitstun that I generally don't get anything other than uair. Then you kinda have to play a guessing game as Zelda tries to hit the ground. Going through this process was so annoying when I had to play KDJ's Zelda. Since Zelda bounces high enough off aerial side B and is in hit stun long enough to grab, Ganon can probably follow up with a plethora of other things.
Just be glad that most Zeldas don't know how to Diamond Dive yet.

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
You're lucky that most Zelda's haven't learned about that yet..
No Zelda's outside of me have entered that technique into competitive play yet, why? Because I discovered it. Please don't mention it any more until I have the opportunity to make a video about it.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

Back! so..

I got bodied :\ also, unfortunatly my Elgato needs and HD port on the TV to work, and since it was on crts, I couldnt record- but here is how it went down.

Pretty much was 2 stocked both games. I got in a few good tech chases, and some surprise Wizard foots- but My arty vortex was disgusting. Maybe it was nerves, but I whiffed 80% of my vortexes- meaning I didnt fast fall them correctly. This guy did everything you guys mentioned, but seeing it in person and in the moment.. man :\

I dragged the Ganon name through the mud v.v. I was beat by my own main from someone who doesnt even play Ganon much.

Though, On a bright side, these guys looked like the people you see at Apex.. so.. the bright side is that once I get up to these guys level, I can confidently enter a tourny sometime. They said that I should play with them more and come to their stream, and that they saw potential in me and I just needed to practice my tech and movement. (At one point during a match the one guy said I need to stop rolling soo much, and hes totally right).

SO, where does that leave me? At first, bummed. really bummed. As in stop playing Smash bummed. But.. after some comfort food and inspirational music, I now just have a fire in my belly, and I swear im going to practice and study twice as hard now >:)

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Back! so..

I got bodied :\ also, unfortunatly my Elgato needs and HD port on the TV to work, and since it was on crts, I couldnt record- but here is how it went down.

Pretty much was 2 stocked both games. I got in a few good tech chases, and some surprise Wizard foots- but My arty vortex was disgusting. Maybe it was nerves, but I whiffed 80% of my vortexes- meaning I didnt fast fall them correctly. This guy did everything you guys mentioned, but seeing it in person and in the moment.. man :\

I dragged the Ganon name through the mud v.v. I was beat by my own main from someone who doesnt even play Ganon much.

Though, On a bright side, these guys looked like the people you see at Apex.. so.. the bright side is that once I get up to these guys level, I can confidently enter a tourny sometime. They said that I should play with them more and come to their stream, and that they saw potential in me and I just needed to practice my tech and movement. (At one point during a match the one guy said I need to stop rolling soo much, and hes totally right).

SO, where does that leave me? At first, bummed. really bummed. As in stop playing Smash bummed. But.. after some comfort food and inspirational music, I now just have a fire in my belly, and I swear im going to practice and study twice as hard now >:)
As I remembered, this guy said he'd JV4stock you
as what you said you were not, you were 2 stocked! That's something. And practice makes perfect. A first fight doesn't mean anything. Keep battling. Zelda's are underestimated, and this guy obviously has some expirience

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I'm pretty sure Wizard's foot goes right through Din's mines but you'll want to check that out to make sure.
It plows through dins as if they were whip cream.

Back! so..

That really stinks that you weren't able to record it.

You should practice the vortex to the point of being able to do it without thinking too much. Really, every Ganon main should. It's the best way to keep your opponent off of you.

About you being beat by a guy who doesn't even main Ganon....... YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO US ALL!!!!!! lol. Totally kidding. These guys were obviously really good. Don't feel bad if they wrecked you with your own character. In fact, you should have been taking notes. I would recommend playing with these guys as often as possible if you want to be able to play on there level.

Never give up. Never surrender.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

It plow through dins as if they were whip cream.

That really stinks that you weren't able to record it.

You should practice the vortex to the point of being able to do it without thinking too much. Really, every Ganon main should. It's the best way to keep your opponent off of you.

About you being beat by a guy who doesn't even main Ganon....... YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO US ALL!!!!!! lol. Totally kidding. These guys were obviously really good. Don't feel bad if they wrecked you with your own character. In fact, you should have been taking notes. I would recommend playing with these guys as often as possible if you want to be able to play on there level.
I shall, Senpai! *nod*

A shame we cant play- Id love to do some matches with you guys and do an analysis.

Also, I CAN, however, record off my Wiiu- so I mean if it would help to see me against say a computer, or showing tech skill, that would be possible.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I shall, Senpai! *nod*

A shame we cant play- Id love to do some matches with you guys and do an analysis.

Also, I CAN, however, record off my Wiiu- so I mean if it would help to see me against say a computer, or showing tech skill, that would be possible.
Can you play online?

Prince Longstrok

Like, rrun the wifi safe build and play on Nintendo Wifi?

I mean, I guess.. but isnt it like, really laggy?

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
I spose. Are you asking me out on a Wifi date? *eyes sparkle*
lol. No. I'm not. But I would love to play you sometime. I'm busy tomorrow, but I could probably play you Thursday. I think. I can be kind of busy sometimes. I'm west coast, so we'll have to take into account the time zone differences.

Personal message me if you're interested. I don't want to take up a lot of space on this thread.

Last edited:

Prince Longstrok

No. I'm not. But I would love to play you sometime. I'm busy tomorrow, but I could probably play you Thursday. I think. I can be kind of busy sometimes. I'm west coast, so we'll have to take into account the time zone differences.

Personal message me if you're interested. I don't want to take up a lot of space on this thread.
East coast here, so I believe you are 3 years behind me. Thursday I get off work at 10:30pm my time, so... would say.. 8pm your time work?

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman
East coast here, so I believe you are 3 years behind me. Thursday I get off work at 10:30pm my time, so... would say.. 8pm your time work?
A bunch of us Zeldas play online together so if you'd ever like some practice against Zelda just let us know. I'm sorry that the event didn't go as well as you'd like but just try to take everything you learned from it and put it into play. As far as feeling ready for tournaments, don't worry about it. JUST GO! It's one of the best ways to learn and playing against higher level players will help you grow faster. There's almost always people there happy to help and a lot of them attend regular smash fests that you could go to when you make friends with them. Just remember to have fun and try not to get too frustrated as you have to remember some of these people have been doing this for quite a while. lol

Prince Longstrok

A bunch of us Zeldas play online together so if you'd ever like some practice against Zelda just let us know. I'm sorry that the event didn't go as well as you'd like but just try to take everything you learned from it and put it into play. As far as feeling ready for tournaments, don't worry about it. JUST GO! It's one of the best ways to learn and playing against higher level players will help you grow faster. There's almost always people there happy to help and a lot of them attend regular smash fests that you could go to when you make friends with them. Just remember to have fun and try not to get too frustrated as you have to remember some of these people have been doing this for quite a while. lol
True, true :) only started playing competitively not even 6 months ago!

Also, to you Zelda mains, kudos for being soo open and friendly. Someone comes to your forum to ask HOW to beat you, and you give more than enough info. Really says something about our community!

<3 you guys xD

WhiteLightnin

Smash Journeyman

Also, to you Zelda mains, kudos for being soo open and friendly. Someone comes to your forum to ask HOW to beat you, and you give more than enough info. Really says something about our community!

<3 you guys xD
Ha ha, anytime. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.:)

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord

<3 you guys xD
Technically, I'm not a Zelda main. I just play with DarkStarStorm a LOT. But still, I was happy to help. :joyful:

Garde Noir

Smash Journeyman
Technically, I'm not a Zelda main. I just play with DarkStarStorm a LOT. But still, I was happy to help. :joyful:

<3 you guys xD
We like helping, and we can't really say we didn't learn a lot about Ganon in the process.
But you really should join us online! It'll help both of us in the long run. Plus, some of us could play our secondaries, and give you more of a chance against different characters.
It'd be fun!

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
And last time we fought he lost so bad that he resorted to saying that Zelda's OP. Oooorrrr I just turned Super Saiyan 2, reflected your Spirit Bomb and sent you home to Chi-Chi.

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
And last time we fought he lost so bad that he resorted to saying that Zelda's OP. Oooorrrr I just turned Super Saiyan 2, reflected your Spirit Bomb and sent you home to Chi-Chi.
May I also remind you that I didn't play Ganon. Or Pichu. lol

Last edited:

ShadowGanon

Smash Lord
You played Ganon once, but still the point stands that you made excuses, and that your Wolf is better than your Ganon.
And what's that? Oh, yeah. I beat you in that one match with Ganon.

We should probably stop cluttering this thread with random talk of our matches together. mumble mumble I won with Ganon mumble....

Last edited:

DarkStarStorm

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0318-7018-5269
And what's that? Oh, yeah. I beat you in that one match with Ganon.

We should probably stop cluttering this thread with random talk of our matches together. mumble mumble I won with Ganon mumble....
Of course you beat me with Ganon in that one match! You counterpicked to FD!

Top Bottom